PDA

View Full Version : AirTran to SWF!

Iberia A340-600
2006-10-03, 05:40 PM
AIRTRAN AIRWAYS TO BRING NEW AND AFFORDABLE SERVICE TO THE HUDSON VALLEY

Service from Stewart International Airport begins
January 11, 2007

October 3, 2006 - AirTran Airways today announced that the airline will add Newburgh, NY, as its 51st destination. The airline will launch new nonstop service from Stewart International Airport to Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa on January 11, 2007. The routes will be served by the quiet and fuel efficient Boeing 717-200 aircraft, part of AirTran Airways’ youngest all-Boeing fleet in America.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) was on hand at the airport this morning to help unveil AirTran Airways’ plans to offer nonstop service from the Hudson Valley. “I have long believed that Stewart International Airport has enormous potential to attract low cost air service for businesses and travelers alike,” Sen. Schumer said. “Stewart is the perfect place for AirTran Airways, and AirTran is the perfect airline for Stewart and the Hudson Valley. Companies often look at the number of flights before bringing a business here, and up until a few year ago, people were complaining there was no way to fly here at a reasonable rate. This is a great day, for Stewart and everyone in the Hudson Valley.” Schumer applauded the airline’s efforts to bring affordable airfare into the city while increasing travel options. AirTran Airways will connect travelers to nearly 40 destinations nationwide.

With the news of the announcement of new service to Newburgh, NY, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) stated, “AirTran Airways’ expansion of nonstop service from Stewart International Airport will be a great benefit to the Hudson Valley and beyond. This is great news for people who want to do business in the Hudson Valley and it comes right when the leaves are falling and the Hudson Valley is once again showing its colors as a prime tourist attraction. I applaud AirTran Airways’ decision to add non-stop, low cost services to these new destinations. The more people we can bring in to the region, the more business we can do and the more tourism we can attract.”

Bob Fornaro, AirTran Airways’ president and chief operating officer, said, “We are pleased to offer passengers traveling from Stewart International Airport direct access to Florida beaches and attractions as well as low fare service to almost 40 destinations nationwide through our Atlanta hub. AirTran Airways is lowering the cost of doing business in the Hudson Valley, boosting economic development efforts, and improving quality of life with new direct service to top business and leisure destinations.”

AirTran Airways offers Hudson Valley passengers everyday low fares, new airplanes, Business Class seating on every flight, XM Satellite Radio available at every seat with more than 100 channels of commercial-free entertainment, and an award-winning frequent flier program.

“AirTran Airways is one of the best run, low-cost airlines in America today,” said Stewart International Airport President and COO, Charles Seliga. “They are a great choice for Stewart because of their route structure, and we have a large demand for Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa. We have a new partner, a partner that the Airport and the community are going to support, market and turn into a huge success here at Stewart.”

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-03, 05:45 PM
Strangehaving them serve both HPN and SWF. They are so close to each other.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-10-03, 06:17 PM
They must be having really good loads at HPN to start SWF.

Either that or I wonder if many of their customers at HPN were coming from north of HPN, and commented that service out of SWF would be preferrable than out of HPN. I wonder if we'll see HPN service reduced or cancelled because of SWF.

PhilDernerJr
2006-10-03, 06:20 PM
They must be having really good loads at HPN to start SWF.

Either that or I wonder if many of their customers at HPN were coming from north of HPN, and commented that service out of SWF would be preferrable than out of HPN. I wonder if we'll see HPN service reduced or cancelled because of SWF.

I was thinking the same.

Is HPN at capacity right now? Maybe AirTran didn't have enough room to expand, or couldn't operate at the times that they wanted to.

T-Bird76
2006-10-03, 06:26 PM
SWF got a small community air grant to attract AirTran to SWF, part of the service is being subsidized by the govt through the grant

LGA777
2006-10-03, 08:30 PM
Good for SWF, very underserved airport (for now) .

LGA777