PDA

View Full Version : General TV rule of thumb.

mirrodie
2006-09-28, 05:47 PM
OK, the day of reckoning has arrived, I have either a Plasma flat screen TV or LCD flat screen TV.

It'll go over the fireplace for a room measuring 14x20 feet.

I forget but what is the rule of thumb as far as how big a TV to get without making it TOO big for the room?

moose135
2006-09-28, 05:52 PM
I forget but what is the rule of thumb as far as how big a TV to get without making it TOO big for the room?

Come on now Mario, there is no such thing as "TOO big for the room" :D

emshighway
2006-09-28, 06:00 PM
You will need to remove the fire place. It will only get in the way.

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-28, 06:13 PM
HAHA!

I think a TV is too big when you need to wear sunglasses to bed and European inbounds land on your lawn.

hiss srq
2006-09-28, 07:13 PM
there is no such thing as too big a tv particularly when it comes to watching football or an occasional cheerleading copetition on ESPN :lol:

Art at ISP
2006-09-28, 07:40 PM
The most important factor in determining size is viewing distance and angle. I tend to prefer LCD over plasma any day-better contrast ratio and better overall picture in my opinion.

Go to mitsubishi-tv.com--somewhere there should be a chart or an application for comparing screen size to viewing distance.

Let me know if you need any help or guidance--I have a friend who is a manager at PC Richard.....

T-Bird76
2006-09-28, 08:15 PM
Mario I've been looking into Plasma's and LCDs, I'd go with an LCD and only Samsung. Samsung is one of just a very small few that produces LCD screens. Most LCDs are not OEM, there either Samsung or Sharp in most cases.

I'd watch PC Richard if I were you, I know Art you said you know someone but I've had some bad experiences with their service dept before. I wouldn’t buy something from PC again if I could help it. Stay away from Best Buy to; they're a rip off. For reviews go to CNET.com. Great site for comparisons.

moose135
2006-09-28, 09:12 PM
Mario, I'm glad you got some good advice - I was starting to feel bad about leading the wise-ass parade (well, not too bad, but...)

And for what it's worth, I've always had good experiences with PC Richard.

T-Bird76
2006-09-28, 09:39 PM
Mario, I'm glad you got some good advice - I was starting to feel bad about leading the wise-ass parade (well, not too bad, but...)

And for what it's worth, I've always had good experiences with PC Richard.

Moose are you calling me a wise ass? LOLOL

moose135
2006-09-28, 10:35 PM
Moose are you calling me a wise ass? LOLOL

No, of course not! You and Art actually gave him some good advice after I started off the wise-ass remarks. :wink:

mirrodie
2006-09-29, 09:15 AM
Ill look at misubishi.

PC Dick has been GREAT but only cuz my mom's been a customer for 20 years.. Over those 20 years, we've gone back with camcorders TV, any appliance problem and they REALLY GOT GREAT customer service.

The most recent example...In my moms place, my brother bought a 62" rear projection TV a few years back. A few months ago, they needed something on it fixed. PC Dick first said it was 1 day out of warannty but theyd take care of it. Then they realized their mistake and it was ONE YEAR and a day out of warranty. Still they said they'd take care of it.

Finally, the part could not be found. I swear to you, he has a brand new 62 inch TV in the den now. Brand spankin new. And theyve done quite the same many times over.

Art, I'll have a look at that guide.

MEanwhile, you guys are a bunch of smartasses. ;)

moose135
2006-09-29, 09:19 AM
MEanwhile, you guys are a bunch of smartasses. ;)

Yeah, but I'd rather be a smart ass then a dumb ass :!:

Matt Molnar
2006-09-29, 10:57 AM
Do you use the fireplace? The TV might not appreciate it.

mirrodie
2006-09-29, 12:12 PM
no worries. used rarely

fireplace bricks are covered by a 3" gap of air, then 3/4" plank wood, then 5/8" sheetrock, add the bracket then the TV and we've got clearance.

But LCD is hte way to go for heat considerations.