PDA

View Full Version : Computer Trouble

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-26, 09:09 PM
Ever see on a news program when they film a computer's monitor, and becuase they didn't sync the video's frame with the comptuer's frames and you get those horizontallines running up and down ont he screen?

My computer is doing that, but not as badly.

It's really annoying me, and I'm trying to figure out if it's my video cardor monitor.

There are not any electronic devices near my monitor that are out of the ordinary that might cause this, either.

Any ideas?

NIKV69
2006-09-26, 09:40 PM
I am having the same trouble on my desktop, I just replaced the video card two months ago. It used to just do it when the dryer was on downstairs. Now its doing it all the time. Let me know if you find anything out about it Phil.

emshighway
2006-09-28, 01:47 AM
Right click on the desktop (away from any icons), click properties. In the dialog boc look for the monitor tab. Look under monitor settings, there should be a drop down for screen refresh rate. It should be on 60 Hertz.

If your monitors has buttoons in the front for settings you may want to look through it for horizontal and/or verticle hold. Every monitor company is different so it may be called something else.

Derf
2006-09-28, 08:44 AM
Right click on the desktop (away from any icons), click properties. In the dialog boc look for the monitor tab. Look under monitor settings, there should be a drop down for screen refresh rate. It should be on 60 Hertz......

I hope you do not have any floruecent lights by your computer! If you
have any florucent light bulbs, they operate at 60 Hertz and if you are in a
work enviroment, can lead to headaches and fatigue.....Please set to
higher refresh rate for health reasons....thank you

Phil, got to drop Nick off at school, brb

Derf
2006-09-28, 09:03 AM
The types of problems described here usually come from two different sources.... One being the obvious, monitor or video card failure....
but the other is environmental.
1. Lower the resolution and raise the Sync rate to like 75 to verify if the problem fixes itself.
2. Move it....(couple of feet away) Problem will probably persist... rule out environmental
3. Check the monitor with a different monitor to make sure you not dealing with a dead monitor and spend tons of time
4. reload the video drivers (Problem will probably persist, but it is a free fix if it works...

You should have a clear answer on what is going on now....sorry, I wish I had better answers but troubleshooting is the best thing.

emshighway
2006-09-28, 09:14 AM
Right click on the desktop (away from any icons), click properties. In the dialog boc look for the monitor tab. Look under monitor settings, there should be a drop down for screen refresh rate. It should be on 60 Hertz......

I hope you do not have any floruecent lights by your computer! If you
have any florucent light bulbs, they operate at 60 Hertz and if you are in a
work enviroment, can lead to headaches and fatigue.....Please set to
higher refresh rate for health reasons....thank you

Phil, got to drop Nick off at school, brb

True but you have to be careful not to play with too many setting or it will then be a little hard to read the screen. Just trying to get him back to a more normal state.

What do you have around the monitor? There maybe something causing the effect like a fans or chargers. A lot runs at 60 Hertz

tipek
2006-09-28, 12:43 PM
I have my monitors set for 75 Hertz. Check your speakers as well. If they are too close to the monitor and are unshielded (or older models) they can cause discoloration on your monitor, and the black refresh strips that you see on your screen.

Rafal