PDA

View Full Version : The FAA and ATC??

NIKV69
2006-09-26, 02:57 PM
Just spoke to a member here that is an ATC at Gabreski. He tells me the FAA just did a bunch of things. One being cutting starting salary from $45K to $31K. Making the controllers wear slacks instead of jeans and making then wear blazers? Also something about not being able to sleep in the rec room? Any ATC here that can shed some light on this?

pgengler
2006-09-26, 03:02 PM
There was a NY Times story (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/20/washington/20control.html) from September 20 about the FAA's plan to cut ATC staff by 10%; it also goes into some of the other changes, like the institution of a dress code.

A drive by the Federal Aviation Administration to cut the number of air traffic controllers nationally by 10 percent below negotiated levels, and even more sharply at places like the busy radar center here, is producing tension, anger and occasional shows of defiance among controllers.

Like the recent day when a controller here went to work in lime green pants and a clashing brown jacket, along with hair dyed blue, to protest a new dress code. Elsewhere, male controllers have rebelled by going to work in dresses.

Most controllers here say they are far more concerned with workplace changes that do not involve wardrobe, including salary caps, lower pay for new hires and stricter control of vacation schedules and sick leave.

T-Bird76
2006-09-26, 03:30 PM
And we wonder why we have the delays at airports as we do???

NIKV69
2006-09-26, 04:17 PM
I got to say the FAA screwed the dog on this blazer thing. I mean slacks and a collared shirt is fine, looks more professional but a jacket? These guys have the highest stress job in the world. They need to be confortable while they work and a sports jacket is not comfortable.

PHL Approach
2006-09-26, 04:54 PM
People have asked if Cargo pants were ok. Upper facility management said yes. The person will come in with some cargo pants on and will be told "That's unacceptable clothing" and it told to go home. It's not just a fact of saying the pay was cut from 45 50 31k. Gabreski is like a level 8 facility. You go to a consolidated Tracon like New York, Potomac or Atlanta and new hires are getting paid basically old level 8 pay. Keep in mind those are level 12 facilites where the controllers were making around 80k base as a Certified Professional Controller under the old contract. Now if you get shipped to a facility that is technically a level 11 or 12. Your getting paid peanuts for working massive amounts of traffic. The breaks are down to about 15 minutes now.

I also heard at Albuqerque Center, you can only be in the bathroom for about 2-3 minutes. Only have a smoke break 2 maybe 3 minutes top. They want you within 30 seconds of the radar room incase they need you... Due to the low staffing, but they don't want to admit it.

They also implemented a rule of no sleeping in the breakroom. At several facilities they have already started mysteriously working on the breakroom. Only for the controllers to finally learn they are turning the breakrooms into more administrative offices.

Here's another thing, you can't leave the facility anymore during your shift. That means no more going to get donuts or fast food during a break. One of my good friends at Philly can't take her walks between breaks anymore. I could continue, many over things they implemented. There is only one person to thank and that is Marion Blakey. I cant talk about this anymore cause I get so heated.

T-Bird76
2006-09-26, 04:58 PM
Ok here's a good point, have any of you ever been in an ATC Center? There dark you can't see a freaking thing! You could sit they're naked scratching your balls and no one would see a thing! The FAA has alot bigger things to worry about then dress code.

Matt Molnar
2006-09-26, 05:05 PM
IMHO, ATC should wear uniforms for security reasons.

T-Bird76
2006-09-26, 05:12 PM

And those uniforms can't be duplicated or stolen? Matt remember the TSA couldn't explain how hundreds of ids got lost a few months ago. Plus the Gov't will somehow blow a load on deciding what kind of uniforms they should wear and what high fashion clothing designer should design it.

PHL Approach
2006-09-26, 05:14 PM
Ok here's a good point, have any of you ever been in an ATC Center? There dark you can't see a freaking thing! You could sit they're naked scratching your balls and no one would see a thing! The FAA has alot bigger things to worry about then dress code.

It's not even a point of them being dark. How many people can see through walls? Never met a person that could

They have badges that you have to swipe to gain entry into any doors. They also have guard shacks at the front gate that are staffed 24/7/365. No lack in security there.

I forgot to post this, here are some folks polking fun at "approved wear"
http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2 ... ll-of.html (http://vanityfairmusings.blogspot.com/2006/09/air-traffic-controller-fashion-hall-of.html)

USAF Pilot 07
2006-09-26, 05:24 PM
The policy is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I'd much rather have an Air Traffic Controller thinking about my plane while on duty than thinking about how uncomfortable his work clothes are!

If the FAA really wants to administer a dress code, fine I can see maybe requiring a collared shirt, but the rest of the stuff? Unecessary...