PDA

View Full Version : What did AA gain in acquiring TWA?

RDU-JFK
2006-09-14, 03:13 PM
So I was reading about STL and I was thinking--what did AA gain from TWA? St. Louis doesn't seem to have accomplished the midwest reliever hub it thought it was getting, as evidenced by its shrinkage and continued O'Hare problems. AA looks the same as before (save a new terminal and some Eagle flights) as it did after gaining TW (yes, I know 9/11 caused cutbacks)

The only tangible TWA items I see are the Kansas City maintenance base and the 'American Connection' service banner.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the AA-TWA deal, as well as an answer to the question of what AA gained at JFK from TWA, since TWA used to be so powerful at JFK.

The above info might not be accurate so I apologize in advance but I welcome all comments/thoughts.

Midnight Mike
2006-09-14, 03:31 PM
Aircraft (newer MD83 aircraft, American was able to retire/sell their older MD82 aircraft.

American was able to fly extra routes, using the TWA manpower & equipment.

Ensured that another carrier did not get TWA....

T-Bird76
2006-09-14, 03:52 PM
Well before 9/11 the idea of a reliever hub was a good idea, however after 9/11 everything changed. AA's plans went out the door and in turn TWA's operations were almost totally dismantled. As Mike said as well it prevented another investor from buying TWA and running it as a stand alone airline. At the time of the buyout TWA already had a 25% stake in San Juan which was an AA strong hold, and a growing presence in the Caribbean.

TWA wasn't that big at JFK in the later years, they took down most of their Euro routes in later years to focus on the Caribbean so JFK would have come down anyway. I flew TWA in August of 01 and T5 was already half closed. AA also received a lot of route authority from JFK, LAX, and STL for routes TWA had but did not fly. AA’s Rome route is a TWA flight.

Sadly the AA buyout was TWA's only hope of any kind of survival. They were days from shutting down and even when Ichan came back to the table to buy them and run them as a stand alone carrier, no one could be sure he wouldn't break them up and sell them. AA was their best hope.

TWA had some interesting plans and if it wasn't for Ichan in the 80s and the contract TWA had with him, they may very well be flying. TWA was going to launch NRT from STL in 2003 with 777s they were planning on leasing. A330s were to replace the 767s, A318s, 320s were to come online to replace the older MD80s, more 717s were on the way as well as some more 757s.

Many at TWA can't stand William Compton but the turn around TWA embarked upon in the early 90s was a smash success. No airline has ever gone from being the worst to being awarded so many awards. Best for on time performance, JD Power awards for best customer service for flights under and over 500 miles, and the best FF program in the nation.

I've always have been a fan of TWA, they have a history that is richer then any other U.S airline we've seen. Yes even a richer history then PanAm which btw TWA outlasted, bought part of the old PanAm, and during the two's existence flew more people across the Atlantic then PanAm ever did. TWA was an icon of American history and even to this day its past is still alive.

Alex T
2006-09-14, 04:16 PM
Well written post.

I agree with most of what Tom has stated.

AA received over 160 Slots I think at ORD and JFK and DCA and other airports around the country.

Tons of gates were given to AA.

Being quite the STL Flyer, I had a chance to show Tom around when he went through STL and it really wasn't the same. A dumpster had a better chance...

But at the same time..you could see a few left over TWA stuff laying around the airport as you walked through.

It still sends a smile to me when I see a plane in TW reg, or a peeling paint revealing the TWA colors...

TWA is still very much alive in people like Tom and myself and the former employees and all.

Alex

RDU-JFK
2006-09-14, 04:51 PM
So which flights to/from JFK can AA attribute to TWA, besides St. Louis? Also, did AA take over any LGA slots?

mirrodie
2006-09-14, 05:20 PM
-aircraft and the largest fleet worldwide

-disgruntled twa employees put at the bottom of the roster

otherwise T-bird has the more accurate info