PDA

View Full Version : Cradle of Aviation needs our help!!

T-Bird76
2006-09-14, 10:43 AM
For those of you who are away the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Nassau County next To Nassau Community College is in need of raising funds. While I'm not suggesting we can raise enough money to keep the place open, hopefully someone will help. I do suggest we show our support by getting a group together on October 29th at 11:00AM and spending a few hours there. The cost is only $9.00 a person and trust me if you've never been there its well worth it. They've done a great job with the exhibits and I think you'll be impressed. They have a cool TWA 707 cut away, lol

I'm urging all members to free their day on October 29th and show you're support for you're love of aviation!!! How many times do we complain about being hassled doing what we love?? Places like the Cradle only help to promote the love of aviation to the public. Let’s make this happen!

Btw I have no association with the Cradle at all; I'm just deeply upset to see something that promotes what we love go by the way side.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Regards,
Tom Alfano

Midnight Mike
2006-09-14, 11:32 AM
Tommy

Did you want to raise money, perhaps a NYCaviation charity drive? I would be willing to donate some money to this.... :?:

T-Bird76
2006-09-14, 12:07 PM
Mike thanks for the offer, no I'm not looking to raise money. Anyone who wants to donate can donate to the Cradle directly. I think however a show of support by visiting the Cradle would be a nice gesture.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-14, 01:39 PM
The NYC area is increasingly unfriendly towards aviation interests but it would be sad to see this go away in the same year as the Intrepid closes for an extended period. Is there any info about how much they need or if they are doing any benefit events? I'd come on the 29th (I've never been out there and it would be the perfect excuse to go) but I may be tied up with clients.

moose135
2006-09-14, 04:06 PM
For those of you who haven't been there, the Cradle is an OUTSTANDING facility. I've been going there for years, before it was ever even open, back when it was nothing more than a few old planes in the back of a dark, dusty hangar. When I first walked into the new museum after they opened a few years ago, I was stunned by what a great job they did (I know some of the guys - all volunteers - who helped restore the planes there)

Where else in this area can you see what the Cradle has - an F-14, an A-10, an actual Grumman Lunar Module, and the Spirit of St Louis replica used in the Jimmy Stewart movie on Lindbergh?

It's easy to get to, has free parking, and is a great way to avoid yardwork!

We're incredibly fortunate to have 3 first class aviation museums in our backyard, let's not lose one!

GrummanFan
2006-09-14, 09:03 PM
Those volunteers put way too much effort into restroation for it all to go to watse. Really, every time I go there I am remended why I love aviation so much, and I am always impressed by the time and effort that goes into every display. There always seems to be something new. So many of my family members worked for Grumman, and every time I talk to someone there we find a connection. It's just an all around great family place with one hell of a history stored inside those hangars. If I'm around, I'll join you in a group-support event thing.

mirrodie
2006-09-21, 12:57 PM
Well, I heard about it and told Tom a week or two ago and this is a recent article in the Long Island press. Have a look.

I am looking to be there and Oct 29 and perhaps Glenn will join us. His schedule might be tough though!

http://www.longislandpress.com/index.php?cp=40&show=article&a_id=9696

cancidas
2006-09-21, 01:50 PM
i should be able to come out and join you guys for the festivities... someone has to tell me how to get there.

moose135
2006-09-21, 02:30 PM
i should be able to come out and join you guys for the festivities... someone has to tell me how to get there.

If you are driving, take the Grand Central/Northern State to the Meadowbrook Parkway, take the Meadowbrook south past Old Country Road to exit M4, following the signs to Nassau Coliseum. Take the right fork to Charles Lindbergh Blvd., and look for the signs to the museum (there are signs that say "Museum Row" as well)

Tom_Turner
2006-10-01, 02:27 PM
They have a cool TWA 707 cut away, lol

Regards,
Tom Alfano

They do?

Whatever happened to the EL AL 707 cockpit they got from the Intrepid?

I called and they said, "oh yeah, we have it" and implied it was on display, but when I went, it turned out to be put away in storage someplace.

Tom

Derf
2006-10-01, 03:36 PM
They do?

Whatever happened to the EL AL 707 cockpit they got from the Intrepid?

I called and they said, "oh yeah, we have it" and implied it was on display, but when I went, it turned out to be put away in storage someplace.

Tom

It is in the same room as the F-14, A-10 and A-6F
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2082179.jpg

More pictures can be seen here at my other site
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Storie ... fAviation/ (http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/)

Derf
2006-10-01, 03:37 PM
another view
http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2082219.jpg

Nonstop2AUH
2006-10-03, 03:52 PM
Sadly I think I will be stuck with clients from Down Under on the 29th, but I would love to pay this place a visit. Can any of the Islanders here tell me the best way to get there if you don't have a car (I am from Manhattan)? Website lists 3 nearby LIRR stations but hard to figure out which is closest, if any is walking distance, if not which is closest by cab etc...

Speedbird1
2006-10-19, 08:03 AM
Supposedly, the Cradle of Aviation Museum was given the large 1/2 scale British Airways Concorde Model from Times Square. I contacted them numerous times about it and never got a response. I guess they're uninterested in getting Concorde fans to visit.

Speedbird1
2006-10-19, 02:04 PM
Is the "Cradle of Aviation" Museum also called the "Freedom Museum"? I never heard that it was called the "Libery Museum" before. Some joker on the Concorde forum insists that the Cradle was named "Liberty Museum". He said that I was ignorant for not knowing that. P.S.: He is the ignorant one, it was never called "Liberty Museum". It was always the "Cradle of Aviation" !

moose135
2006-10-19, 04:25 PM
No, it only has one name, the Cradle of Aviation. I've never heard any other names you mentioned.

Their web site is: http://www.cradleofaviation.org/

Speedbird1
2006-10-20, 08:48 AM
Some guy on the Concorde website insists that the "Cradle of Aviation" was named the "Liberty Museum" for decades. He insinuates that I am ignorant of that fact. When did the Cradle open? It wasn't even open for decades.

GrummanFan
2006-10-20, 09:22 AM
I believe the Museum opened in May of 2001, and was always called the "Cradle of Aviation Museum." This person is either referring to something else or is just a complete idiot. The closest thing to "Liberty Museum" I can think of is the Liberty Science Center in NJ.

And to answer your earlier question, they do have a 2/3 scale model of the Concordre, but I don't think I have seen it on display. The Museum is always a work in progress, and everytime I go there there's a new exhibit. So they probably have it set aside in storage until they figure out exactly what they're going to do with it.

mirrodie
2006-10-20, 09:47 AM
Some guy on the Concorde website insists that the "Cradle of Aviation" was named the "Liberty Museum" for decades. He insinuates that I am ignorant of that fact. When did the Cradle open? It wasn't even open for decades.

who is saying that over there? must be confused, the Cradle hasnt even been around for "decades."

mirrodie
2006-10-24, 01:44 PM
OK, I got him all sorted out. He's a great guy actually and you should meet him if you ever make it to the Greenman Pub.

Well, just a reminder, who is going to the Cradle outing on this Sunday?

I suppose if there is enough of us we can get a group discount or something to that end.

Derf
2006-10-25, 01:16 AM
Here are a few shots from before it opened... should have exif info
http://fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2180825.jpg

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2180840.jpg

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2180827.jpg

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/Stories/FMCradleofAviation/P2180834.jpg

moose135
2006-10-25, 01:36 AM
Well, just a reminder, who is going to the Cradle outing on this Sunday?

I suppose if there is enough of us we can get a group discount or something to that end.

I should be there - I'm back from Orlando Sunday morning, and it's been a while since I was to the Cradle.

And as to the museum itself, the current facility opened in May, 2002. For many years before that (back to at least 1980) the museum was a collection of aircraft, normally not open to the public, housed in the old Mitchell Field hangars which now make up part of the current museum. There were little or no efforts made to restore the aircraft at the time. The hangars were dark, dusty and disorganized. As I said, with few exceptions, the public was not permitted into the facility. As one of those who got to see it in the old days, the transformation is truly amazing!

mirrodie
2006-10-25, 10:00 AM
Fred do you know anything about Concorde there?

Derf
2006-10-25, 10:17 AM
Yes, they have the Concorde that was in times square... they were
preparing it for paint last year and they wanted to have a pedestal made
in front of the cradle for it to be displayed. I was invited to see it but
could not because of the time restraints of being a parent. The pedestal
was very expensive and they did not have the money for it at that
time.... So there it sat.

All info is what I was told and may not be accurate, but I believe it to be.

Hope this helps

lijk604
2006-10-25, 10:35 AM
What time are we meeting there. I should be able to attend.

T-Bird76
2006-10-25, 11:32 AM
Lets meet at 11, spend two hours and then perhaps do some spotting afterwards?

moose135
2006-10-25, 03:11 PM
Lets meet at 11, spend two hours and then perhaps do some spotting afterwards?

That works for me - I get into ISP at 9:30. Don't know that I'll be up for spotting afterwards, but I'm up for the museum!

mirrodie
2006-10-25, 03:49 PM
ok, so far we have :

John K
Moose (john)
Tom
Me, Highheels and Glenn

Fred?

lijk604
2006-10-25, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a good day.