PDA

View Full Version : Passenger tries to open jet’s exit door mid-flight

Midnight Mike
2006-09-13, 06:50 AM
Passenger tries to open jet’s exit door mid-flight
Man subdued by other travelers, air marshals after unruly behavior
The Associated Press

Updated: 11:15 p.m. PT Sept 12, 2006
CHANTILLY, Va. - A man wearing military fatigues and throwing punches into the air tried to open the exit door of a jet during a cross-country flight on Tuesday night, airline officials and passengers said.

United Airlines Flight 890 from Los Angeles landed as scheduled at Washington Dulles International Airport at 8:35 p.m., said Amy Kudwa, a Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman. No one was injured.

Ken Wolfenberger, of Whittier, Calif., who was on the flight, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that he helped subdue the unruly passenger. The man wore patches on his fatigues with special forces and jujitsu champion logos, Wolfenberger said.

The man had been acting strangely for about 20 minutes, then sat up, wrapped belts around his hands and threw punches into the air, Wolfenberger said.

Wolfenberger said he heard a flight attendant yell for help and tell the man, “Sir, get your hand off the handle.”

“Any time you hear a flight attendant shout ‘please help,’ you worry that something pretty bad is going to happen,” he said.

Air marshals on board
Wolfenberger said the man was held down and punched by other passengers as he grabbed the man’s leg. Air marshals then came and took custody of the man.

The passenger became unruly about 3½ hours into the flight, said United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy.

“After the passenger was restrained, the pilot decided to land at Dulles,” McCarthy said. “It wasn’t an emergency landing.”

Airport police and FBI agents met the flight and were interviewing the passenger, said FBI spokeswoman Debbie Wierman.

There were 138 passengers and six crew members on board, McCarthy said.

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-13, 08:02 AM
This happens every now and then. I just wonder what was going on in that guy's head.

Midnight Mike
2006-09-13, 08:05 AM
This happens every now and then. I just wonder what was going on in that guy's head.

Yeah, I wasn't concerned about the guy trying to open the door (no way he was going to open it), I am just wondering what the hell happened to the guy that caused passengers to hold this guy down.... :?:

USAF Pilot 07
2006-09-13, 02:53 PM
I wonder if he was truly military... You can pretty much go to any Goodwill in a military town and find tons of BDUs and military uniforms for like $5. They are supposed to be sanitized before they are donated, but many times they aren't. This guy definately has some type of mental disorder; whether he was actually military or not I dunno.

Also, if was military he'd probably only be flying in fatigues if he was on a deployment rotation. As far as I know, no PAX-X flights, or military transport flights to the sandbox go out of Dulles, rather they are all through BWI. If he was deploying, the military would have definately bought his ticket to BWI. Also, I don't know what the Army's or Marine's policy is about flying in uniform, but I believe the Air Force's is that unless you're getting deployed, or unless you need your uniform for mission specific purposes, commercial travel in uniform has to be done in blues or better...

Anyway, just some food for thought.

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-13, 02:55 PM
I have a feeling that he was either a disturbed veteran or some thugged out loser whose fatigues were the widely military-used light blue color. lol

Mellyrose
2006-09-13, 02:56 PM
If you are flying home from deployment on R&R leave, you can fly into and out of any airport, and you must be in your DCUs. There's no chance that if that was the case for this guy he'd be in his standard BDUs.

Mateo
2006-09-14, 05:43 PM
There was a soldier on my DCA-STL flight last weekend wearing the standard combat uniform.