PDA

View Full Version : From Sydney to New York - I'm finally coming

glennstewart
2006-09-12, 10:27 PM
Hi All,

Thought I'd log on to your NYC Aviation forum a fair while before my trip to say G'Day.

Some of you may already know me, but thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself and hope to catch up with some of you when I visit.

My name is obviously Glenn Stewart (I'm not terribly creative when it comes to forum nicks). I'm a friendly Sydney aviation photographer who is typically remembered for giving foreign photographers whirlwind tours of Sydney and the surrounds (** hope the guys/girls on this forum who have received tours are feeling better... I know some people suffered from car sickness and for this I am very sorry. Next time I won't suggest food before driving the coastal roads **)

Aside from this I'm a marked man, being one of those A.net screeners. Okay... not so bad. I only reject terrible shots and anything uploaded by Bruce Guy :roll: (sorry, bit of a Sydney insider joke there).

But seriously... looking forward to my trip. It will be my first time to the US, and it should be good. Won't be coming via L.A. like most Australians would. I've been told this is a good thing by fellow New York spotters.

Amadeus booking ref X6ZBZ7.
Tue 24 Oct 06 13:40 London 16:10 New York BA177
Sun 29 Oct 06 20:45 New York 08:40 (Mon) London BA188

Would love to do some spotting with a few of you (looking to buy a wide angle lens in NY beforehand). Also looking to walk my legs off through as much of your wonderful city as possible.

All the best,

Glenn Stewart

K9DEP
2006-09-12, 10:30 PM
Welcome Glenn, It's nice to see this forum is international!

glennstewart
2006-09-12, 10:46 PM
:)

We welcome many an international visitor on the Sydney forum. I thought I should make a visit here prior to spotting over the other side of the world :)

Scary to think that while I'm flying between London and New York, I'll roughly be the other side of the world to Sydney. The world is a small place!

USAF Pilot 07
2006-09-13, 02:06 AM
Welcome Glenn!

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in NYC! As far as spotting goes, there's always people going spotting. Just post when/where you want to go, or read some of the "Spotting Planning" threads, and I'm sure you will find someone who will be more than happy to show you around! We have many international visitors who go out spotting with some of the locals and have a blast!

glennstewart
2006-09-13, 03:45 AM
Welcome Glenn!

No worries :)
I'll be sure to check in as I get closer to the date. Looking forward to the spotting. Also looking forward to buying a new lens. Your prices are far better than you can get in most places. I heading over with an awesome exchange rate as well, which should help matters.

PhilDernerJr
2006-09-13, 08:06 AM
Hey Glenn! Welcome!

Excited to hear you're coming to the area. I hope to meet with you and have all of us show you a good time! :)

glennstewart
2006-09-13, 08:43 AM
Hi Phil and thanks...

After the many years of seeing photos coming out of New York (both aviation and otherwise), it will be great to finally come over. I was going to stay in London (where I'm doing some consultant work for a particular airline) - but with three weeks leave I need to take, Mario suggested I take the short flight over to New York.

A few Qantas frequent flyer points later, I'm on my way. Damn easy. I reckon I'll need to rug up though. Just spent the night at Sydney Airport just watching the planes go by, Froze my butt off. Looking forward to daylight saving starting, then the warm weather coming. Unfortunately I'll leave the best spotting time in Sydney, for what hopefully will be an excellent spotting time in New York.

Any experience however, will be a good experience.

I've heard from a couple of the Sydney guys that you (you being the collective New York spotting group) have a few excellent slide show nights sometimes. Any chance a slide night might happed around that time... :)