PDA

View Full Version : Korean Air bans Apple and Dell laptop computers

Midnight Mike
2006-09-08, 07:49 AM
Korean Air bans Apple and Dell laptop computers over fears of fire risk batteries
By Justin Wastnage
South Korean flag carrier Korean Air has banned Dell and Apple laptops fitted with potentially imflammable batteries and other airlines are believed to be planning similar moves.

Flightglobal.com stablemate ComputerWeekly.com reports that Dell recalled 4.1 million laptop batteries that were made on its behalf by Sony last month. After a similar fire hazard problem, Apple recalled 1.8 million batteries that were also made by Sony. Now airlines are banning the use of Dell and Apple laptops on their flights because of the fire risk their batteries could pose.

Recently, Panasonic recalled 6,000 batteries that were sold with its laptops in Japan, but those batteries were not manufactured by Sony.
The heightened terrorist threat in the UK recently led to laptop use being briefly banned on flights, before being allowed again.

But faulty batteries, rather than terrorists, may now prevent executives from opening a spreadsheet on a flight

K9DEP
2006-09-08, 07:55 AM
that's rediculous!

T-Bird76
2006-09-08, 09:04 AM
That is the dumbest possible move an airline can make. Anyone want to take a bet how many ticket cancellations they are receiving? A laptop is an essential business tool today and someone traveling on business without their laptop might as well stay home. I'm just really amazed.

Midnight Mike
2006-09-08, 09:18 AM
Wouldn't people have replaced the battery already? Afterall, recalls were issued. So, are they checking the batteries?

South Korean flag carrier Korean Air has banned Dell and Apple laptops fitted with potentially imflammable batteries and other airlines are believed to be planning similar moves.

T-Bird76
2006-09-08, 09:25 AM
Wouldn't people have replaced the battery already? Afterall, recalls were issued. So, are they checking the batteries?

Mike people are stupid. Just the other day someone at work had their car in for service for two weeks because they never took care of a recall notice that was over a year old. I'd like to know what the percentage of fires that have taken place due to this defect. It just seems like a bad move on Koreans part to ban these laptops.

Midnight Mike
2006-09-08, 09:35 AM
These batteries have been none to smoke when they malfunction, so, it is a matter of safety.

So, I would understand, if Korean Air, would ask the passengers to remove the battery from their laptop before boarding.

Think of the lawsuits to could arise, if Koren Air knowingly allows people with potentially dective batteries to board their aircraft, & something happens.

T-Bird76
2006-09-08, 10:29 AM
Removing them is one thing but banning them all together is simply stupid.

Matt Molnar
2006-09-08, 10:30 AM
It's kinda unfair to people who replaced the batteries.

hiss srq
2006-09-08, 10:34 AM
Well I bet there is a sharp drop off in trans pac flying on those airlines to the states etc..... lol Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb......

FlyingColors
2006-09-08, 06:28 PM
It's kinda unfair to people who replaced the batteries.

Very true.

Now Koean Air has to form a lap top screening line at the gate!

Matt Molnar
2006-09-15, 03:07 PM
Qantas and Virgin have now banned them as well.

hiss srq
2006-09-15, 03:35 PM
And this is why mine are Compaq's the best there is!

Winglets747
2006-09-16, 09:44 AM
Qantas and Virgin have now banned them as well.

Virgin has allowed them to be used via the PowerPort. But since they don't have PowerPorts in Y, that sucks for a lot of people.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/#1556974

-Will