PDA

View Full Version : Info on visiting NYC for New Year's??

jran225
2006-08-30, 10:15 PM
Hey guys,

the beautiful girl you see next to me on my avatar and I are seriously considering making a trip up to NYC for New Year's this year - it's just something we've always wanted to do. So we're just trying to get ideas about it and since neither of us don't know anybody who's done it before, we thought we'd just ask you guys since, well, you live in New York and have probably all been to Times Square for New Year's at least once. :)
There are two big issues that are on my mind right now. First one being where to stay and second one being where to park. I've looked at quite a few hotels in the greated NYC area and from what I can see they're either not available at all or really expen$ive. We really didn't want to spend more than $50-$75 on a room if at all. We could easily crash in my Jeep, but that really depends on where we'd park and that leads me to my second question - where to park? I know from experience that it's a biatch parking in Manhattan and I doubt that it would be any better around the time of year we'd be there. Any advice? Do any of you know of an affordable place to crash in one of the suburbs from which one can take the subway into town. Also, are there any of you who usually attend the celebrations in Times Square. Would be nice to you if we find a way to make the trip. We'd love to get some info/advice/opinions/help/anything on this. Thanks! :wink:

Signed,
-Omar and Claudia :)

Mellyrose
2006-08-30, 10:40 PM
Omar-trying to help you here!

Ok....$50-75 literally won't even pay for parking in Manhattan for the night, especially on New Year's Eve.

Your best bet would be to book at a hotel in Queens, since it's the cheapest area that's also a subway ride away. You'd also be able to park easier in Queens.

BUT...

There are absolutely NO hotels in NYC that are even close to under $100...unless you're looking at hourly rates, if you know what I mean. We can help you find a place in Queens, but you'd have to book like, now.

P.S. I've never been to Times Square for NYE...but I know that most NYers avoid it like the plague on that night.

Good luck! :)

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-30, 10:44 PM
I have to agree with Mel onthe cost of everything.

Your best bet is to park ont he street in Queens somewhere (near Planeview Park maybe! lol) and take the train in.

If you go that route, if you want to get a decent spot in Times Square that day, be in position by early afternoon....the palce is packed shoulder to sholder for blocks by supper time.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-30, 10:56 PM
Times Square on New Years is something everyone should do once, and once you do, you probably won't want to do it again. Hence, I doubt any of us NYers will be there. Remind us when the time comes though, there are always parties which you might want to stop by after the ball drops.

The cheapest motels anywhere within an hour (drive or train ride) of Manhattan start around $100 a night and will probably be more on New Years. Further than an hour you might find something cheaper but it's not worth it when you consider the traveling time.

Where to park? Well, how long will you be here? Just a night? Most motels have parking if you stay at one. Sleeping in your car, while not necessarily dangerous, is not something I'd recommend. The city is as safe as it's ever been, but **** can happen anywhere. Even if it's a friendly police officer knocking on your window to see if you're ok, it's probably not a fun way for you and the missus to be woken up at 4am. :shock:

jran225
2006-08-31, 09:27 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for the input sofar! Based on what you guys have written, I've pretty much ditched the idea of driving up and trying to spend the night somewhere. It's really more money that we're willing to spend and not very practical at all. We haven't by any means given up on the idea yet (despite a very emphatic message from Tommy! lol bro!) and now we're considering taking Amtrak up from D.C. on New Year's Eve and leaving New York at 3AM on the 1st. This way basically the only expense would be the train ride (roughly $275) R/T for both of us and it spares us the gas/hotel combo that we'd be paying for otherwise. I'll keep you updated on any definite plans! :)

Mel: Thanks for the offer of finding us a place to crash. I appreciate it! :)
Phil: Yeah, I hear the place crowds up pretty fast. The train gets to NYC around noon time so that would allow for enough time to get in position and maybe even do some sightseeing before that. 8)
Gotham: Yeah, I have a feeling I won't want to do this again based on what everybody's telling me, lol! Probably won't be able to make it to any parties outside of the immidiate area, seeing how we'll pretty much be immobile, but do you know of any good stuff to do around Times Square after the ball drops? :D

Again, thank you all very much! :D

Greets,
-Omar and Claudia

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-31, 09:50 PM
No prob bro! :)

bonanzabucks
2006-09-01, 09:36 PM
Have you also considered New Jersey? Lots of nice hotels in towns across from Manhattan for less than $100 a night. You can catch the PATH Train or NJ transit to Manhattan from there.