PDA

View Full Version : CNN to replay 9/11/01 footage in real time

Mellyrose
2006-08-30, 01:47 PM
I thought that some people, especially those who didn't see this live, might be interested. Though I'm sure 99% of people have at least seen clips from CNN, it's really a different story watching this as if it were happening...sadly, most of us know that from experience.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060825/ap_ ... ttacks_cnn (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060825/ap_on_hi_te/attacks_cnn)

CNN.com to replay 9/11 attacks coverage
Fri Aug 25, 7:26 PM ET

NEW YORK - CNN will mark the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks by replaying on the Internet the cable network's coverage of that day's events.

Viewers can watch how events unfolded starting at 8:30 a.m., minutes before the first reports of an airplane hitting the World Trade Center. The feed will run in real time, as the network showed it five years ago, until midnight.

For the day, CNN will make its online video service, CNN Pipeline, available for free. Normally, viewers pay $2.95 a month or $24.95 a year for four separate video feeds.

Online viewers will be able to watch live reports of memorial services through one of the feeds. So that viewers won't accidentally stumble upon graphic footage from 2001, the replay feed will be covered with a notice instructing users to click only if they want to watch.

"Our users may choose to view the stream of coverage from Sept. 11, 2001, or live coverage of memorial services at Ground Zero, or they may click through the numerous interactive elements on the site," said David Payne, senior vice president and general manager of CNN.com. "They have the power to determine the best way for them to remember the anniversary."

CNN is a unit of Time Warner Inc.

Alex T
2006-08-30, 02:18 PM
So say i wake up at 9am central time, making it 10am, so if i went online to start "Watching" I would be watching FROM 10am eastern time or does it begin at the 8:30am time slot when we first start watching it?

Alex

RDU-JFK
2006-08-30, 02:22 PM
I can't speak for the rest of you, but I am unable to watch the footage of the planes on impact due to my two loves--Aviation and America. I can tolerate gruesome things but everytime I see bits of the footage I feel like punching something, vomiting, and crying at the same time. I'll stick to a moment of silence at the anniversary while looking at the hole, especially since I work across the street at One Liberty Plaza.

Mellyrose
2006-08-30, 03:07 PM
So say i wake up at 9am central time, making it 10am, so if i went online to start "Watching" I would be watching FROM 10am eastern time or does it begin at the 8:30am time slot when we first start watching it?

Alex

Alex....it's real time, meaning 8:30am EST til midnight EST - as if it were 9/11/01 and you were watching it live. You'll be behind an hour, so you'd have to start watching early to see from the beginning.

Alex T
2006-08-30, 03:29 PM
Ahh ok so I'd need to be up at between 7:30am to 7:45am my time then.

Wowzers, thats getting up early. I don't have any classes that day and I am taking the day off from work so I guess ill be online mostly watching some of this. Would be interesting since I never saw it live until everything had already happened.

Alex

Matt Molnar
2006-08-30, 04:39 PM
While I may watch some of this, I have a slight problem with the fact that they're using the brand name of their premium video service in their publicity.

hiss srq
2006-08-30, 04:41 PM
It is Ted Turner and the Commie News network what do you expect

T-Bird76
2006-08-30, 04:49 PM
I'm mixed on whether to show this or not. I think its good to remind people of the event but how many people really are going to watch it? People aren't going to stop work to watch it, I know I'm not.