PDA

View Full Version : Are we this lazy

T-Bird76
2006-08-28, 11:38 AM
So right now I'm sitting at my desk and IMing my Friend who works right next to me in the next cube over. Nothing is preventing us from talking but it just seems easier to IM each other. Yes you can tell I'm bored out of my ever loving mind right now. Oh and to note the dude sitting on the other side of me has been on the phone since 9:30 talking about some drum he needs for his band and the assistant Director has been BSing in her cube since 9. Office productivity at its best!!!! I hate days like this.

What's you're day at the office like?

RDU-JFK
2006-08-28, 11:48 AM
Well, instead of checking policies I'm on NYCAviation and a.net. My cube neighbors are talking about their weekend trip to Atlantic City. The bigger executives with offices aren't here; taking extra vacation time.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-28, 11:54 AM
Today's our first day in our new office and the seating arrangement is completely different. Before I sat across the office from the people I actually have to talk to so we always talked through IM...now I sit right next to them...and we're still talking by IM. :)

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-28, 11:59 AM
I'm waiting to go to lunch. I had a lot of work to do this morning, but did it too fast and now I have to fake being busy for the rest of the day. Honestly, I wish I had more work to do.

Mellyrose
2006-08-28, 12:43 PM
Re: IMing while within close range.

1. Phil and I do this every day....while literally 2 feet away from each other in our room.

2. In the office, everyone IMs. We only have about 6-8 people here on any given day...and we all work within 15 ft. of each other. I think that it's easier to IM when working because you can answer when you have time...it's not as much of an interuption or distraction from your work.

My days are looong. I usually get things done quickly in the beginning of the week so by Friday it's torture...you'll notice I'm on NYCA constantly on Thurdays/Fridays. ;)

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-28, 01:07 PM
I think the IM communicaiton when one could easily speak to the person that's right there is a matter of multi-tasking.

For example, with Mel and I at home, when I'm working on the computer, it's easier for me to switch a window, read a sentence, type another sentence, and go back to what I'm doing. If I have to turn around and even just redirect my attention to speak, it derails my thought, and I lose my groove.

That and her voice is like chalk on a ****in blackboard. ;) <3

Mellyrose
2006-08-28, 01:11 PM
boooooo! :cry:

moose135
2006-08-28, 01:22 PM

So we know what Phil won't be getting for a looooong time :D

lijk604
2006-08-28, 02:44 PM
The IM thing is more common than you think. We use it a lot here in my office as well. Sometimes there are some things you want to talk about with just your buddy and you dont want the whole office to hear about. Like the fantasy football draft, the ladies in the office dont care about it, but we do a fair amount of "smack talk" amongst ourselves.

Of course there are also the off-color remarks here & there that some folk find offensive, yet you can laugh like hell with your buds.

Alex T
2006-08-28, 03:36 PM
Agreed.

I just got off work and when I had computer access we did a couple of IMS as well.

It really is much easier though to use the phone to call people at the desk. However I can't do that so I have to get up and ask them or IM them.

But I switched to another area and I no longer have Computer Access at work.

Most of the managers also use IM at work too.

Alex

Midnight Mike
2006-08-28, 03:38 PM

So we know what Phil won't be getting for a looooong time :D

YEP!

Looks like Phil will be rubbing one down in the shower! :shock: :D

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-28, 04:09 PM
Funny, but try to keep it a little cleaner, or more vague, please. We have some kids here. :-p

T-Bird76
2006-08-28, 04:10 PM
Funny, but try to keep it a little cleaner, or more vague, please. We have some kids here. :-p

Yes Alex is still learning what its used for. LOLOL

Midnight Mike
2006-08-28, 04:16 PM

You hypocrite! I got that from you!!

T-Bird76
2006-08-28, 04:21 PM
[quote="Phil D.":6c455]Funny, but try to keep it a little cleaner, or more vague, please. We have some kids here. :-p

You hypocrite! I got that from you!![/quote:6c455]

Phil's just upset Mike because he knows what you said is true, LOLOL

Alex T
2006-08-28, 04:34 PM
[quote="Phil D.":10d55]Funny, but try to keep it a little cleaner, or more vague, please. We have some kids here. :-p

Yes Alex is still learning what its used for. LOLOL[/quote:10d55]

.................... :shock: :shock:

Okaaaaaaaaaaay :P

Mellyrose
2006-08-28, 04:35 PM
I am requesting that the topic be changed, please.

cancidas
2006-08-29, 02:32 PM
back to the topic at hand children...

i only wish that i could IM. back when i worked for FDNY we tricked out our computers in the ambulances to allow IM on them... was fun when we got that worked out, only wish that i could have that on my computers in ops at work.