PDA

View Full Version : UN visitors to JFK

mirrodie
2006-08-27, 07:03 PM
isnt there a wekk coming up soon where its full of "foreign imports"?

Here is one from last week. Is there a defined period where they come in?

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/kuwaitun744.jpg

thanks JJ

moose135
2006-08-27, 07:22 PM
You usually see them during the week of the General Assembly session opening, I think that's around the middle of September, but I couldn't find anything on the UN site (http://www.un.org). Last year we saw a huge number of foreign heads of state come in for the opening session, as it was the 60th anniversary of the UN, not sure if we will see as many this year.

Nice shot Mario!

markg
2006-08-27, 07:32 PM
The UN General Assembly begins on 9/12.

Presumably the heads of state will begin arriving the previous weekend.

Not sure if there will be as many visitors this year. Last year was the 60th session, which brought more than the usual visitors.

Iberia A340-600
2006-08-27, 07:55 PM
Hm...I had thought that it was every four years for some reason. Well I'm looking forward to this now that I have ramp access to SWF! Hopefully as last year SWF will be a parking airport.

Mateo
2006-08-27, 09:39 PM
9K-ADE made a quick stop at JFK before continuing on to ADW. About 30 minutes after the 744 arrived as Kuwaiti 1 (fixed call sign), G-V 9K-AJE arrived as Kuwaiti 8 (not fixed). Routing for the Gulfstream was LHR-ADW. They arrived Thursday afternoon, after Dubya had already decamped for Kennebunkport, so I don't know if there's a White House meeting involved.

727C47
2006-08-31, 08:04 AM
saw them both at ADW this week, while chasing the Prez ,flying the White House press corps, saw a USMC straight wing Citation at ADW too, imagine going through P-Cola, and all that, and ending up flying that little bottle rocket! No disrespect intended,it looked cool, in its faded grey tactical livery.

Mateo
2006-08-31, 07:22 PM
Those Marine UC-35s are daily visitors at Andrews, as are USAF Lears (C-21s), and the Army's Citations (UC-35s) and Gulfstreams (C-37s).

jran225
2006-09-04, 08:30 AM
Hey guys,

KAC1 (B744) and KAC8 (GV) are due into JFK at 1154 and will depart back to ADW at 1430. Good luck! :)

Greets,
-Omar S.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-04, 02:21 PM
Out of curiousity, when the larger such VIP government aircraft arrive at a civilian airport like JFK, do they still pull up to an FBO or do they use one of the terminals that has jetways?

Mateo
2006-09-12, 12:37 AM
Sorry for resurrecting a thread from the dead here, but at Dulles the big stuff usually parks remote (i.e. not on the main part of the FBO ramps, and the pax use airstairs to deplane, and take the regular shuttles to the FBO building. There are rare exceptions, and I've seen motorcades go onto the tarmac itself and directly up to the plane. I'm sure both FBOs can accomodate pretty much anything with wings - I've seen 747s at Piedmont/Landmark, and the KC-135/342/762/763 at Signature. Signature has also had a C-5, but you don't need airstairs for that one!

FlyingColors
2006-09-12, 10:44 AM
Hey Nonstop2AUH

Love that avatar.

Can you show picture, or a link!?

markg
2006-09-12, 04:35 PM
Out of curiousity, when the larger such VIP government aircraft arrive at a civilian airport like JFK, do they still pull up to an FBO or do they use one of the terminals that has jetways?

At JFK they use the old Tower Air terminal

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-12, 07:29 PM
So NOW I know why the old Tower Air Terminal wasn't torn down, I've been wondering what goes on in there since Tower went out of business.

As for the avatar, and by request, here you go. Not exactly airliners.net quality, but dedicated to JFK employees of the '70s as that is where and when this was taken:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/michaeluae/BirthdayPartyAirportAA-1.jpg

hiss srq
2006-09-12, 07:31 PM
reload it into photo bucket again mike and it will be in origional size when you reload it i think it works that way at least. That JT-9 is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-12, 07:52 PM
OK Ryan I think that's full size now, for what it's worth looks like a child-eating blender which, when I think of some of my classsmates in the picture, might have been a good use for a spare JT9D.

So now that it's 9/12, anyone see any interesting UN-related activity? I love to spot the various Amiri Flight jets from the Gulf because having lived out there, I can tell you that nobody does private aviation better than a sheikh! Guy I used to work for (very indirectly) had a 747SP among other toys. Best places to see them are GVA and LHR but I know they come to the US on occasion.

SengaB
2006-09-12, 07:53 PM
What kind of plane is that?
B741
P&W?

hiss srq
2006-09-12, 07:55 PM
I think AA only flew 741's for a short period with the JT-9 (durr) lol and than they also had the SP for a short while as well that were flyingt trans pac runs if I am not mistaken untill MD-11's were delivered.

Mayi757
2006-09-12, 07:56 PM
When is the UN assembly starting? I think it's next monday or tuesday.. not sure though. If that's right, then most should start coming this weekend..??

Right now many of the VIPs that could show up are in Havana for the non-aligned nations summit.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-12, 08:07 PM
Sorry to go off thread topic, which I am very interested in, but since I was asked...

It's an AA 747-123 which back in the day was used primarily for transcon from JFK to LAX and SFO, most of the a.net pics of these silver birds are taken at one of those 3 airports. I think they were eventually deemed economically unsuitable to post-deregulation domestic pax operation and ended up as freighters by the '80s although one went on to carry the Space Shuttle in obviously AA colors but with NASA logos.

I remember from when I was a kid that the introduction of widebodies on the transcon route in the '70s was considered a big step forward in passenger comfort and was heavily marketed at the time, I'm sure if someone timetraveled here from 30 years ago they'd be shocked that in most cases the transcon is back to aircraft with essentially the same cabin as the 707 the Jumbo was replacing, i.e. 757 and 737.

Back to the topic at hand, does anyone know if UN traffic will make JFK difficult on Saturday? I have to meet a bunch of clients arriving at T7 after a very long trip from Down Under, and if it's going to be a mess (and if I might see some unique government airliners) I at least want to be prepared.

emshighway
2006-09-12, 08:08 PM
The main part of the UNGA is the 18th -20th,

Mayi757
2006-09-13, 12:08 PM
Is Kim Jong allowed to come to the US for the UN summit? If so, he could bring an Air Koryo IL62 or TU154.

Ahmedinejad wanted to speak at the UN so he could bring the 747SP again.

I'd personally love to photograph VIPs in airline colors such as Air Zimbabwe, Yemenia, Royal Brunei etc..

I looked at the UN website but found it kindaconfusing. Didn't see which heads of states were speaking.

So far the weather looks ok for the weekend, I'm tempted to fly up to NYC :)

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-14, 02:33 PM
CNN this afternoon aired some video of leaders arriving at the Non-Aligned summit in Havana, including Hugo Chavez in his ACJ and my personal favorite (aircraft, not leader), Mr. Ahmedinejad in his 707 complete with old school cheatline. Now I imagine that thing can't do Tehran to Havana nonstop so I wonder where they tech stopped. Truly a beautiful aircraft and combined with Havana's vintage automobiles must have looked like 1959 down there!

Mayi757
2006-09-14, 08:14 PM
CNN this afternoon aired some video of leaders arriving at the Non-Aligned summit in Havana, including Hugo Chavez in his ACJ and my personal favorite (aircraft, not leader), Mr. Ahmedinejad in his 707 complete with old school cheatline. Now I imagine that thing can't do Tehran to Havana nonstop so I wonder where they tech stopped. Truly a beautiful aircraft and combined with Havana's vintage automobiles must have looked like 1959 down there!

lol I bet. Did the 707 say Saha Air? That's even better than a 747SP for me!

If it's Saha Air, it might not be stage III. In that case would that plane be allowed to fly into JFK or any other US airport?

Iberia A340-600
2006-09-14, 08:17 PM
I'm hoping that SWF will be used again, like last year, as an airport to park the aircraft during the U.N. meet.

jran225
2006-09-14, 08:21 PM
In that case would that plane be allowed to fly into JFK or any other US airport?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they make exceptions for 'special' flights (i.e. govt/vip flights, humanitarian aid, diversions, etc..). Hey, last year the Russians brought an IL76 into JFK, so that's your proof right there, lol. :)

Greets,
-Omar S.

h2opunk1822
2006-09-15, 01:03 AM
tonight vf-96 2115 came in!!! http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1032073/M/

Mayi757
2006-09-15, 03:06 PM
Since the Havana summit is still going on, some of those VIPs might not make it to NY. For example, someone n a.net said the Vietnam 777 that went down there is returning through YVR.

Still, JFK should still get a good number of interesting UN visitors.

In that case would that plane be allowed to fly into JFK or any other US airport?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they make exceptions for 'special' flights (i.e. govt/vip flights, humanitarian aid, diversions, etc..). Hey, last year the Russians brought an IL76 into JFK, so that's your proof right there, lol. :)

Greets,
-Omar S.

you're right!