PDA

View Full Version : well, I finally did it and it feels...very melancholy.

mirrodie
2006-08-16, 09:18 PM
For those of you that know, up until a few hours ago, I drove that 1990 Buick Regal. Colleagues and patients think its beneath me and I should be driving a car that 'doctor's drive, but I never catered to that stereotype. All I need in a car is an engine that goes and a radio.

I bought her in 2000 with 28K original miles. She was originally in the hands of an older Jewish man, Max Fishman. And Max threw on all those 28K miles, in 10 years, just to go see his beloved in the nursing home. I found that touching. Isn't that romantic?

and now she's got 108K on her and she's just falling apart.....

Oil leaks like a sieve, leaks in the antifreeze line that were sealed twice with walnut and bars leaks, coffee holder broke off, glove compartment wont close, headlights wont turn on unless I jam another key in the button, crap mileage, stereo speakers are getting static-y, antennae won't go down, the ceiling cloth held up by pins, suspension so loose that you'd think you were on a boat, and now the tranny is slipping.

But she still growls when I floor the gas. She still has that fervor.

But the last straw was when I awoke a few months ago to start her up and she simply would not start. For the day! The next day and for weeks afterward, she started without a fuss! Then again, she pulled the same stunt a month later. She would not start no matter what I did. Then finally the engine just turned.

So for weeks now, I've been starting the car, with 20 minutes to go before seeing my first patient, and doing the "please start" prayer before I turned the key.

Thanks for holding out that long Melissa.

Sweet Melissa has served me well. Got me though my residency and interviews. A great commute from Queens to the Island and the smooothest ride.

*sighs*.... so when I picked up a new lease today, the new car is great.

But wow, I felt so wretched as I removed the plates from Melissa. I shut those heavy metal doors once more and wow, it was tough to do. It broke my heart. Can you believe it? Why am I so attached?

Why the melancholy? I don't know. Its the first car I ever bought, maybe thats why? Maybe its the history, knowing she served such significant purpose in 2 lives?

Maybe she's just looking forward to serving another purpose, perhaps since I will most likely donate her to the L'Chaim Society. Always serving a purpose.

Guys and their cars I guess.

T-Bird76
2006-08-16, 10:05 PM
Congrats Mario!!!! We both have the same cars now!!

mirrodie
2006-08-16, 10:45 PM
I know I know.

Actually, I test drove one the same color as yours but I wanted something a touch different. And I didnt want the Maxima as it offers NO benefit over the Altima.

The one will smoke you away ;) Took it up to 100 mph already in 3rd gear at 4500rpm. the pickup is surprising.

And you know me, I'm not much of a car guy.

All I wanted was a reliable V6 and a good radio. :)

If it were up to me, I'd remain carless and take a small plane to the office!

cancidas
2006-08-16, 11:16 PM
i remember that car... didn't know you still drove it to this day. my caddy is on it's last leg too, not as bad as what you described above but it still starts only when it wants to... sitting in my garage is something newer and less used, just waiting for it's plates and reg. soon. :)

NIKV69
2006-08-16, 11:35 PM
And I didnt want the Maxima as it offers NO benefit over the Altima.

I beg to differ :mrgreen:

Congrats Mario

I felt the same way about my last car as you did your Buick, it was a 93' Saturn that was just cherry, llittle uncomfortable inside but ran good and got me out to Nevada and back three times with no incident. Great gas mileage and saved me a ton of money. Lord knows how long I would be driving it if it wasn't totaled. Nissan makes a great car and that V6 is rated one of the best in the biz. I love the feeling you get when you put the pedal down at 60MPH. One thing though, the stock oil fliter is compelte crap, I would use the big Mobil one filter. It's expensive but very much worth it in the long run. I will email you the details. Also changing the oil and filter yourself if so easy on this car and takes 10 mins. It saves you a ton of cash too.

Mellyrose
2006-08-17, 09:20 AM
Congrats Mario!

I will most likely donate her to the L'Chaim Society

I swear to Adonai, Phil refuses to pronounce this any other way than "El Chame"...even when I explain it to him.

...and he's Jewish by osmosis! :lol:

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-17, 09:35 AM
But she still growls when I floor the gas. She still has that fervor.

HAHAHAHA!

"Melissa" also had a couple mysterious stains, no? Inthe words of Bon Jovi.... "That ain't chowda". haha

I've been riding in that car for years. I remember the Australia plate in the back window when I first met Mario. I remember Mario gunning it around cars down Cross Bay Blvd, shocking me that the car still had the power it did.

I remember convincing Mel that it was Mario's car when we pulled into his office to get our eyes checked not long ago. I had to swear it to her twice while looking dead in her eye for her to believe me. lol.

She served Mario well for a long time. Congrats on your new ride!!!

mirrodie
2006-08-17, 10:30 AM
Shosh and I were tjust alking about that Australia Plate. I've no clue what happened to it! LOL

THanks and thanks to Art for helping me come out of the dark ages.!

mirrodie
2006-08-17, 04:06 PM
You mean its not "El Chame" :P

"shocking me that the car still had the power it did." still cranks but takes to too high an rpm to shift out of first.

And sorry Nick. It was a toss up and the edmunds.com, "apples to apples" comparison didnt justify the extra cash for such a small gain.

YMMV

moose135
2006-08-17, 04:15 PM
Good luck with it Mario, I know how tough it can be to give up an old favorite though.

Think you should have gotten one of these:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/88832561-M.jpg

At least you avoided a mini-van :shock:

lijk604
2006-08-17, 05:10 PM
the mini-van is inevitable with one on the way.

Enjoy the new ride!

mirrodie
2006-08-18, 10:28 AM
Moose, you mean did did se me the other day doing that??? :D

A distant relative of mine actually was the senior project designer for the Chysler 300, the first version. Ralph's been in Time magazine a few times. I did look at that. But its a huge jump from the Regal.

I thought about hte Charger but wantedt o try and Japanese car for once.

Thinking of other great cars.....

anyone over drive the Lincoln Mark 7? WOW, that car was a beast. Unfortunately I took one up a pole at 85 MPH and split the chassis. Talk about power. lucky to be here.

NIKV69
2006-08-18, 10:50 AM
And sorry Nick. It was a toss up and the edmunds.com, "apples to apples" comparison didnt justify the extra cash for such a small gain.

Well I drove both the Maxima and the Altima with the V6 and the Maxima performed better IMO. Bigger wheels and tires etc. I also like the way the tail lights and other things on the Maxima looked as opposed to the Altima, I don't go by what websites say, I prefer to drive both and make my own decision. Good luck with it!

What color is it?

mirrodie
2006-08-19, 12:26 AM
what I liked was that the altima I chose is the same engine on a lighter frame and it had a soft suspension which I was looking for.

That european adage of 'feeling the road' is crap. So this thing really rides similarly to the Buick.

the color?

smoke.

talk about nebulous.

Art at ISP
2006-08-21, 04:48 PM
I saw Mario's new ride today, and it is smoking!! and it was a fresh build--it was built in July!

Unfortunately as I was leaving Tommy and Mario at FRG the CD changer in my M35X fried---so another trip to Infiniti is in order for me--but I will have to wait until we're back from vacation--off Wed for 5 days in Asheville.

We are celebrating my wife's recovery from breast cancer treatment, and my daughters end of summer--in which she worked and had homework (SAT prep) ALMOST every single night.

I'll check in from the hotel, but infrequently--I am sure the wife will kill me if she finds me on line while we're away.

PS Mario it was my pleasure to help out--I hope I was able to remove some of the stress of the car buying experience for you.

Ciao all