PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 744 damaged at LAX

moose135
2006-08-15, 11:12 AM
According to the jp.net forum, it's VH-OED

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20 ... 09,00.html (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20133498-23109,00.html)

Qantas plane in crash with luggage cart

August 15, 2006 08:47am

ALMOST 300 passengers were evacuated from a Qantas jet in Los Angeles after it collided with a luggage cart early today. The accident, involving a Boeing 747-400 from Sydney, happened about 11.10am LA time.

A Qantas spokesman said the 288 passengers on board left the plane via stairs onto the runway. The spokesman said engineers were inspecting the aircraft, but the cause of the mishap was unknown. One of the engines is believed to have been damaged.

mirrodie
2006-08-15, 11:51 AM
Actually Art as ISP witnessed a bit of the action.

Art, whats the story?

So Qantas seems to keep it safe in the air, it just has problems on the tarmac? ;)

Art at ISP
2006-08-19, 09:33 PM
I arrived in LAX around 11:45 Monday morning, on UA PS, and I thought it was a little strange that we arrived on 24R rather than 25R (I know about the construction but there were arrivals on 25R later).

As we did the airport tour-loop around, I saw the Qantas bird on the inner taxiway almost ajacent to the AA gates on the south side. There were emergency vehicles a few cop cars and people just standing around talking..I did hear Airport Police call the taxiway closed to LAX ground on CH9 though.

My assumption is that my sighting was either before the evacuation of passengers or just after--based on timing I assume before. I did not notice any damage, although there were some baggage carts around.

It was gone by 3PM when I left LAX.

PHL Approach
2006-08-19, 10:00 PM
I arrived in LAX around 11:45 Monday morning, on UA PS, and I thought it was a little strange that we arrived on 24R rather than 25R (I know about the construction but there were arrivals on 25R later).

Off topic: during the construction Socal is running a good 30-40 mile single final for 24R. Then staggering around dinner time on the 24s. I would really only see 4-5 arrivals on 25R per hour.

Art at ISP
2006-08-20, 01:20 PM
The flight I took home LAX-JFK on PS also departed 24L which was a surprise as there were flights departing 25R all day Friday....

Go figure.

glennstewart
2006-09-12, 10:30 PM
According to the jp.net forum, it's VH-OED

Glad it's only OED. That aircraft is a real dog of a plane.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-13, 04:18 AM
I happened to notice on Flightaware that a QF 744 went from JFK to ORD and then on to HNL this week, anyone know what's up with that? I know they only service JFK from LAX and HNL from SYD, and don't normally serve ORD at all so this is unusual for sure.

Iberia A340-600
2006-09-13, 07:06 AM
I happened to notice on Flightaware that a QF 744 went from JFK to ORD and then on to HNL this week, anyone know what's up with that? I know they only service JFK from LAX and HNL from SYD, and don't normally serve ORD at all so this is unusual for sure.

It's a chartered Atlas Air 747-400 flight. The aircraft parks near the Asiana Cargo building at JFK instead of the Atlas Air cargo buildings, I saw it leave on Saturday.

glennstewart
2006-09-13, 09:12 AM
Sometimes the Atlas cargo show up as QF. Qantas quite a bit of freight through other companies such as Atlas.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-13, 07:44 PM
Ok, so not really a QF flight at all, just operated on their behalf like Atlas does for EK SkyCargo. Thanks for clearing that up.

DHG750R
2006-09-15, 04:33 AM
Ok, so not really a QF flight at all, just operated on their behalf like Atlas does for EK SkyCargo. Thanks for clearing that up.

Operated by Atlas Air using the customer's callsign . If you're looking to see an aircraft painted in Qantas' colors , unfortunately you will not. However you are likely to see one painted in Emirates' colors.( there are 5 aircraft painted that way ) They are the only customer who's colors we currently use. ( the China Airlines birds have long since been repainted as we no longer fly for them )

Nonstop2AUH
2006-09-15, 05:29 PM
Hey DHG thanks for the Atlas info. Couple of years ago I flew back from the UAE sitting next to an Atlas pilot on his way home from bringing a SkyCargo 744 to DXB, interesting guy and high on the seniority list if I recall. We had a nice chat, one of those random things that can happen when you run into somebody 'in the business' while traveling.

Back to something more related to the thread topic, I am told that QF107 is almost always late into JFK. Does anyone know if this is because it has to hold in LAX for all the MEL and BNE connecting passengers going through customs?

glennstewart
2006-09-19, 10:10 PM
So Qantas seems to keep it safe in the air, it just has problems on the tarmac? ;)

LOL!

The fairly new Wunula VH-OEJ (747-438ER) always seemed to have run ins. I think in the first year of service, it got hit twice (mainly by ground staff). It's probably one of the newest pax 747's flying today (certainly the last ER produced), and it's a pity to hear it has more dings than my car.

With regards to near misses, the funniest I heard was the other day:

At Sydney we have two different security:
1. SACL - The airport owners and the upholders of the law on the premises
2. Federal Police - Mainly there to deal with arrests etc.

A few weeks ago a fed vehicle darted in front of a Qantas 767-300. The Captain contacted SACL, and the Federal Police officer was fined.

It's hilarious to watch SACL setting up speed traps within the airport. They'll fine the federal police for breaking the Airport speed limits, but won't fine their own guys. Seems like the opposite to outside the fence.

Anyway... back on topic.

The worst damage by far is on the Qantas 747-338 VH-OJH called "City of Darwin". We call it "City of Bangkok", because several years back, it went to play a round of golf in Bangkok (the course at the end of the runway).

Qantas is coming on 86 years old. It hasn't had a jet fatality or hull loss yet. The runway slide in Bangkok is probably the worst thing they've experienced.

Mateo
2006-09-20, 12:20 AM
Immunity doesn't extend to anyone... over the weekend, I heard a Civil Air Patrol flight bust the ADIZ around Washington and get ordered out immediately. The FAA has even processed pilot diversions within the Flight Restricted Zone (~18nm around DC) to military helicopter pilots who have been using the wrong squawk!