PDA

View Full Version : ConEd to issue a credit to Queens resident for blackout

Midnight Mike
2006-08-06, 12:42 PM
Disgusted Queens residents - who endured up to 10 days without power last month - responded with rage yesterday to Con Ed's offer of a measly $3 for their suffering.
"I think it's an insult to our intelligence," said singer Dino Rossi, who has lived in Astoria for 30 years.

"What can it buy?" asked Jerry Pylarinos, 75, who immigrated to New York from Greece 35 years ago. "Half a hot dog!"

"Tell them to get lost for $3," said 91-year-old Antonetta Price of Astoria. "What are you going to buy? A bunch of bananas?"

Making a fist, the feisty senior said of Con Ed chief Kevin Burke, "The stitches are going to go to the back of his head."

The $3 "pro-rated" credit is based upon the $11 monthly meter charge Con Ed assesses residents, a utility spokesman said. Small business owners will receive a whopping $6 and larger, "commercial" businesses will receive $250.

Con Ed is also paying for spoiled food - up to $350 for residential customers and up to $7,000 for businesses.

Trade Fair supermarket Manager Hamdi Adasadi said that his store, which remained open during the blackout as a service to residents, is experiencing a downturn in sales because customers are afraid to restock their fridges. "People are scared they're gong to lose power again," he said.

Chris Trakoshis, owner of Crown Chemists on Ditmars Blvd., spoke for many Queens business owners when he said, "Number 1: We're disgusted. Number 2: Are you buying something today?"

His neighbor, baker Phillipe Flory, said he lost $24,000 worth of food alone, not to mention the lack of sales. "Small guys like me, we go nowhere. We can't fight the giants," he said.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-06, 12:51 PM
http://www.cheesebus.com/images/nyc/coldstone.jpg

This was photo was taken yesterday at the Cold Stone on 31st St and Ditmars. The power has been back on for over a week now, but I guess the losses were so great that the owner can't afford to buy ice cream and pay rent and wages. :(