PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer hits NYPD helicopter

Matt Molnar
2006-08-01, 11:04 PM
Laser pointer hits NYPD helicopter
August 1, 2006

NEW YORK --A 19-year-old man was arrested after authorities said he shined a laser pointer at a police helicopter.

The bright green laser beamed into the cockpit late Monday night, temporarily blinding the officers, said Melissa Klein, an NYPD spokeswoman.

Police arrested Anthony Pepe a short time later, and charged him with reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon, Klein said.

In December, a Paterson, N.J., man was charged with shining a laser pointer into the cockpit of a hovering news helicopter.

Pedro Vega, 36, was charged with a variety of offenses, including interference with transportation and assault, after authorities said he beamed the laser pointer into the cockpit of a WNBC television helicopter.

And in November, David W. Banach, 39, of Parsippany, N.J., who had flashed a laser pointer at a commercial airplane, pleaded guilty to violating a section of the USA Patriot Act involving interfering with pilots of a passenger aircraft.

The crew aboard the charter flight from Boca Raton, Fla., said the laser temporarily blinded two pilots, and they could not see their flight instruments.

hiss srq
2006-08-01, 11:53 PM
I have no sympathy for this little *******. I hope he gets a few years for this one. Espesially for doing it to a helicopter crew that is much more dangerous than doing it to a fixed wing aircraft in my opinion. Out of curiosity I wonder how they tracked the guy granted they have FLIR and such on board but if they were temporaraly blinded I wonder. Eitherway I hope that they nail this guy, you can really mess with someones medical if you get them in the eye bad enough.

FlyingColors
2006-08-02, 09:34 AM
I would like to know "what laser" is being used for this activity.

Is if for hunting or firearms?

What approximate size and weight?

Are we talking about a "pen laser" that is used in a classroom?!

T-Bird76
2006-08-02, 09:49 AM
Mike here's a link to just one company that sell high powered lasers to any consumer with the money. You can see these things are rather small. You can get laser with a 100 miles range that fits in your pocket. Makes you wonder doesn't it???

http://www.optotronics.com

FlyingColors
2006-08-02, 10:09 AM
Ho, OK.

That guy shooting a helicopter has got to be brain dead.

The chopper must have lit up like the New Years Eve ball!

And how is a 19 yo sporting a grand toy light?

cancidas
2006-08-02, 11:00 AM
what a moron... hope he makes some nice freinds on rikers.

Ari707
2006-08-02, 11:01 AM
same way a 19yr old punk drives a BMW and drag races it down the belt....

Matt Molnar
2006-08-02, 12:16 PM
'STUPID' LASER KID BAILED OUT
By JENNIFER COOK

August 2, 2006 -- A teenager busted for zapping an NYPD helicopter with a laser stick was freed last night on $2,500 bail posted by his dad.
"I really got myself into a predicament this time," Anthony Pepe, 19, ruefully told his father after his arraignment in Brooklyn Criminal Court on charges that included reckless endangerment.

His dad, Michael, agreed.

"This was just something stupid," he said. "Anthony had no intent to hurt anyone."

The incident took place Monday night as the aircraft flew over Brooklyn's Bath Beach section.

The pilot was temporarily blinded, but not hurt.