PDA

View Full Version : Stop bitching about the Heat!!

T-Bird76
2006-08-01, 03:51 PM
When its the winter and 20 degrees out we wish it was the summer. When its summer we wish it was cooler. The media, govt and my jackass coworkers are making such a big deal that its almost 100 degrees.

Here's newsflash I was out in Vegas two weeks ago and it was 110 and life went on. The media didn't freak out, govt didn't say try to conserve power, they dealt with it.

People here at work tell me "Well we're not use to hot weather." These are the same brain trusts that freak out when we get snow in the winter and say we aren't use to snow storms. So is just New York that has its head up its ass to our weather pattens? We take a simple hot spell and turn it into the Wrath of God and the end of civil society as we know it? Get a grip people, if you're hot find a tree sit under it and shut the **** up.

Mellyrose
2006-08-01, 04:22 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaah Tommy!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/mellyzrose/Baby_cries.gif

as I channel Midnight Mike

Matt Molnar
2006-08-01, 04:23 PM
"I walk around in the summertime saying 'How about this heat?' I'm an ******* (He's an *******, what an *******)..." -line from the Denis Leary song "*******"

hiss srq
No I am pretty sure it is common. Down here in Florida everyone moves here and bitches about it being hot in the summer than it hits 58 and everyones in sweaters.

Mellyrose
HOLY ****! That Leary song was already in my head! weeeeeird.

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-01, 04:28 PM
Tommy's right about how people react with the weather. Why the short term memory? It gets very hot EVERY Summer and just as cold EVERY winter. We are used to heat and large amounts of snow.

Thought the recent years might have been a bit more record-setting, the difference is not that great.

NIKV69
2006-08-01, 04:46 PM
Though it's true it gets hot every summer today and tomorrow are days when you have to be really careful. I had a member here today who got heat stroke and had to crash in the kitchen for 2 hours while we pumped gatorade into him. Why he was playing golf today is beyond me. It was absolutely disgusting and water is not enough. You have to drink gatorade or something else to keep electrolytes in your body. As far as the desert goes I was in Laughlin when it was 118F and it felt much better than this. As long as you were not in direct sunlight you were fine but this is something totally different. It is true that the media overdoes it but they are also trying to educate people because they are many that underestimate the severity of the situation, one that can turn bad very quickly. I was living in Chicago in 95' when that killer heat wave hit and the elderly began to drop like flies. I recall over 500 died in a very short period of time and there was so many that the coroner had to rent refrigerated trailers to house the bodies in the parking lot because they were coming in so fast. So even if we stop complaining let's remember that the govt and media are serving some sort of purpose.

hiss srq
2006-08-01, 04:52 PM
Yeah there is a big diffrence in heat I have lived in a few places for school (Jamaica, Utah, South Carolina, and Florida) I will take southwest Utah any day .

Midnight Mike
2006-08-01, 05:00 PM
When it is summer time, it is hot out, winter time, it is going to be cold.... Sheesh, yes, getting tired of people complaining.....

Mellyrose
2006-08-01, 05:09 PM
When it is summer time, it is hot out, winter time, it is going to be cold.... Sheesh, yes, getting tired of people complaining.....

This coming from the guy who lives in beautiful California. ;)

moose135
2006-08-01, 05:10 PM
Damn, it's hot!

Here's newsflash I was out in Vegas two weeks ago and it was 110 and life went on.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat :D

Matt Molnar
2006-08-01, 05:12 PM
Got up to 100 at LGA today. 99 now, heat index = 110 :shock:

hiss srq
2006-08-01, 05:13 PM
sheesh you got us beat in Sunny Florida by ten degrees makes me almost not guilty i am not jogging

Iberia A340-600
2006-08-01, 05:36 PM
Yeah it's pretty annoying, personally I'm enjoying the weather. It really isn't that bad I mean try 112 in Morocco and even that didn't bother me much.

mirrodie
2006-08-01, 08:37 PM
Damn, it's hot!

Here's newsflash I was out in Vegas two weeks ago and it was 110 and life went on.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat :D

Yep and that has to be said... it was a dry heat. the humidity is hte killer.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-08-01, 09:16 PM
Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and Thursday is supposed to be like today... oh vey

Somewhat O/T but with this heat, and ConEd's admittance that it's very likely for there to be another power outage, the only question being when, I don't see how some of the power grids will be able to withstand this kind of heat for 3 straight days...

I can say that the DL terminal at LGA was doing it's part today though. When I stepped off the plane, the terminal lights were off, and the only lights on were the ones near the stores or bathrooms, and a scattered one here and there. At first I think people were thinking "oh no, not again"...

100 here is not comparable to 100 in the desert, or out in the West. In Colorado, we hit the mid-90s a lot during the summer, and just East of where I am located, on the plains, it will hit 100+ a lot. Although that is hot, and is definately not comfortable, it's a dry heat, with dewpoints many times in the 20s and 30s (compared to dewpoints in the 60s and 70s here)... Humidity + Heat is really what makes the situation dangerous and unbearable...

The only advantage of the dry-heat is that sweat dries quickly! When I was flying this summer in Colorado, we had a string of very hot days (mid 90s). With no air conditioning in the plane, and a bubble cockpit, we easily hit 115+ degrees during flight. I'd step out of the airplane, and the back of my flight suit would be soaking wet, and the seat would be soaking wet, but within literally 5 minutes, both would be completely dry!

dbudd
2006-08-02, 01:44 AM
Uhh...

Tommy tell them that the humidity was way up as well. I like it hot!!..but only up to about 105. We had thunderstorms in the afternoon and it was the stickiest week I think we've had all year.

But now the system has pushed east and we are sitting in 101 degree with a low of 76 and it feels good again.

I just wish the heat distortion would disappear!!

Sun Block and plenty of water guys!!

Dave

mirrodie
2006-08-02, 04:29 PM
ok

Highheels just called me at 1300 to let me know our electricity is out in our area.....so....

considering she's pregnant, now can I BITCH?

I may very well check into a hotel tonight.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-02, 04:38 PM
You can bitch about the power, just don't bitch about the temperature. :)

Some parts of Astoria are out again now. :(

99 at LGA right now, 105 Heat Index, air temp reached 101 last hour.

94 at JFK, 106 Heat Index.

PhilDernerJr
2006-08-02, 04:45 PM
I seek cooler temps by sitting down the family around the on and open oven.

But seriously, it's freezing in my office. Ever feel the need to bring a sweatshirt to work with the outdoor temp is 100+?

Matt Molnar
2006-08-02, 05:11 PM
But seriously, it's freezing in my office. Ever feel the need to bring a sweatshirt to work with the outdoor temp is 100+?

My office is usually borderline cold (which I like) but it feels like they turned down the a/c the past couple days.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-03, 11:47 AM
From Crain's. I'll be very perturbed if I have to walk home today.

Con Ed asks Midtown East to reduce power
by Catherine Tymkiw

Another day of dangerously high temperatures brought new power troubles on Thursday.

Electrical equipment problems, reportedly with a transformer, prompted Consolidated Edison to urge its customers in Midtown East to discontinue using non-essential electrical appliance and equipment until the equipment is fixed.

Con Ed spokesman Alfonso Quiroz was unable to confirm the problem was transformer-related but said “it’s not unusual” to ask customers to reduce power use while equipment is fixed.

The utility is asking all residents and businesses between 40th and 14th streets from Fifth Avenue to the East River to shut off any unused or unnecessary appliances.

Outages throughout the five boroughs and Westchester County left 23,700 customers in the dark on Wednesday, according to the Associated Press, but by early Thursday morning, Con Ed said that number was sharply reduced to 5,600 customers.

One customer can equate anywhere from a one-person household to a large office tower.

Meanwhile, the National Weather Service is calling for a high of 98 degrees on Thursday, but with the heat index, it will feel closer to 106.

On Wednesday, records were broken at LaGuardia Airport, which hit 102, breaking a 51-year high, and Islip, L.I., which broke a one-year record at 98 degrees. Newark, N.J., tied its record -- set in 1955 -- at 100 degrees.

High temperatures also brought record electricity output. Con Ed set a new record load of 13,141 megawatts late Wednesday, breaking Tuesday’s record of 13,103 megawatts. As of 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, the utility said power demand was 11,778 megawatts.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-03, 03:32 PM
According to a friend of a friend who works for Con Ed, they are forecasting a high likelihood of a blackout of some substantial scale starting sometime between 5 and 7 tonight. Nothing is definite, no details are known, no word on where/when/how long.

Mellyrose
2006-08-03, 03:37 PM
The utility is asking all residents and businesses between 40th and 14th streets from Fifth Avenue to the East River to shut off any unused or unnecessary appliances

I work at 32nd and Lexington...you'd think my building would make it a bit warmer than 65 degrees.

NIKV69
2006-08-03, 04:35 PM
I feel bad for all Con ed customers. Not to mention there is one bitch of a line of t-storms heading though Jersey right now headed for the city. Loss of power could happen.

Matt Molnar
2006-08-03, 04:48 PM
According to same source, Con Ed is sending all their non-essential personnel home to conserve power. :shock:

hiss srq
2006-08-03, 05:12 PM
good luck up there, the weather is a full ten degrees cooler here though. a
cool down of almost 20 degrees is supposedly on the way though.