PDA

View Full Version : the tics at the mounds and getting to costcosite without car

nycvisitor
2006-07-22, 06:46 PM
I am a Toronto resident planning to visit NYC for 3-4 days at the end of July and would like to do some JFK photography/spotting.

1. Is the MOUNDS location very problematic for tics and if so is there somewhere else to shoot 22L arrivals?
2. Can one get to the Costco parking lot for 31R arrivals without a car? ( I will be staying at a hotel in Manhattan)
3. I will be arriving on Jet Blue via Buffalo. Is there good photography from within the Jet Blue terminal?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Denis

NIKV69
2006-07-22, 07:17 PM
It is a bad location for ticks but so are a lot of other places, wear long pants with your socks pulled over and check yourself when you leave. Wear loose fitting khaki if its hot out. As for other locations for 22L the sun is a real issue, if its real early and the sun is lower and to the east I like shooting from a spot on Rockaway but its a hike on foot. once the sun is higher in the sky your screwed till late afternoon when the mounds are good cause the sun will be in the west and hopefully a bit lower. As for no car that is a tough one, JFK is def the kind of airport you have to be mobile. As for getting from Manhattan to Coscto I have no clue but somebody else here can probably help you.

cancidas
2006-07-22, 08:00 PM
hike? not drive nick?

NIKV69
2006-07-22, 10:30 PM
hike? not drive nick?

OMG, too funny Matt!

T-Bird76
2006-07-23, 12:30 AM
1. Is the MOUNDS location very problematic for tics and if so is there somewhere else to shoot 22L arrivals?

The mounds right now are done until the winter, the over growth is very bad and you are sure to pick up 1 or a million ticks. There's a park on the way to the mounds that can provide for some interesting veiws.

2. Can one get to the Costco parking lot for 31R arrivals without a car? ( I will be staying at a hotel in Manhattan)

Not really, there are buses but it will take you a very long time. Plus there's no real place to sit at COSTCO. You really need a car.

3. I will be arriving on Jet Blue via Buffalo. Is there good photography from within the Jet Blue terminal?

No not at all. T6's windows are blocked by various equipment, but the T6/5 airtrain station does provide some good views.

Winglets747
2006-07-29, 07:23 AM
2. Can one get to the Costco parking lot for 31R arrivals without a car?

While it's not as easy as going in a car, you can get there without one. The best luck I've had is to take the Q111/113 bus from Jamaica Station (E, J, and Z trains). The bus ride is maybe 20 mins to the mounds and 25-30 to Costco. You can catch the same bus from the mounds to Costco. The bus would probably take a bit longer on weekends.

You can see the bus map here as a PDF: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

-Will