PDA

View Full Version : Radios to pick up ATC?

NcSchu
2006-07-19, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive type of radio that can pick up ATC feeds? I always see the frequencies of the feeds listed but I really don't know how I can use equipment to pick that up. By the way, I do know of liveATC.net, but I'd prefer a method that doesn't require my computer or internet to be used.

lijk604
2006-07-19, 07:48 PM
Almost any radio shack handheld scanner will do the trick.

Buy one new or used shouldn't cost you more than $150 for what you want.

MarkLawrence
2006-07-19, 08:19 PM
Check on eBay as well - I got a good second hand one off there pretty cheaply - search eBay for Radio Shack scanner.

pgengler
2006-07-20, 12:11 AM
Almost any radio shack handheld scanner will do the trick.

Buy one new or used shouldn't cost you more than $150 for what you want.

Just make sure that the one you buy includes the aircraft band; most do, but some (the cheaper ones, usually) don't.

I have a PRO-82 from Radio Shack, which cost me about $100, I think. It's overkill for my needs, but there wasn't anything cheaper that would pick up ATC.

hiss srq
2006-07-22, 12:33 AM
Yeah they are not hard to come by but the digital ones are the best as you can preset the frequency selections scan two channels at once all sorts of goodies and than listen to police frequencies as well so you can beat foot out of those restricted areas with you camera before the cops suprise you lol