PDA

View Full Version : Continental B741 question

Mtrain
2006-07-16, 08:14 AM
Hi guys,
If you guys don't mind please help me clarify this puzzle.

I was driving home (westbound on the Belt) yesterday (7-15-06) around 6PM, give or take. As I passed the BJ/Target/Home Depot shopping center, I saw this B741 doing its approach, coming straight at me. As it was flying over my car, I took a quick peek and it seems to me that the tail is painted in Continental current scheme (blue background with the globe). I thought I saw "thing", so I asked my wife to double check. Being an amature she is, she did confirm that indeed it was a Continental tail, however she also saw "Air...something" on the starboard side.

Now, what I am thinking is that it was a cargo plane that used one of Continental old 741s, but then again, even if they are too cheap to repaint the plane, they have to somehow remove any decals or painting that distinguish a particullar airline???

No camera was available thus no photo. Anyone was spotting at JFK yesterday or anyone that can shed some light onto the matter please advise. Thank you and appreciate it!!!

Jonesbeach
2006-07-16, 08:17 AM
It was probably Atlas Air. They have a pretty big group of 747's at JFK. Here is a picture from JP.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5769878

Hope that helps.

Steve

lijk604
2006-07-17, 10:19 AM
It was probably this one:

PAC729
Polar Air Cargo, Inc. "Polar Tiger" (Long Beach, CA)
Aircraft Boeing 747-200 (quad-jet) (H/B742/W)
Origin Ted Stevens Anchorage Int'l (PANC)
Destination John F Kennedy Int'l (KJFK)
Date Saturday, Jul 15, 2006
Departure 11:18 YDT
Arrival 17:49 EDT

Jonesbeach
2006-07-17, 12:03 PM
Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Inc., a leading provider of global air cargo services, is the parent company of Atlas Air, Inc. and Polar Air Cargo, Inc.

Does anyone know if they swap planes between the two companies? Is it odd for an Atlas Air flight to fly under the Polar Air call sign?

Steve

K9DEP
2006-07-17, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it was Atlas because they also have a Blue tail and a globe. Hey If Emirates owns Atlas why do they have Sky Cargo?

Mtrain
2006-07-18, 08:35 AM
Thank you very much guys. Appreciate the info.

Yes, that was indeed an Atlas Air. I see them all the times everytime I go to JFK. Somehow, it just didn't strike into my head right away that it was an Atlas globe. I really jumped the gun on this one. Should have thought about it a little longer before posting such a foolish question.

The funny thing was, after I got your answer. I showed my wife a picture of the Continental 741 in current color and asked her to verify whether that was the tail that she saw on that 747 that confused me. She was pretty sure that that was it. Then I showed her the Atlas Air...voila, yeah...yeah...it was this one!!!...ha hahaa...

Anyway, thanks again guys!
Take care and be safe!