PDA

View Full Version : CNN: TWA Flight 800 Problem Not Fixed on Planes

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-14, 12:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/14/twa.main/index.html

Something tells me that this is just one of the many times that the media fills the public with fear at the opportune time of the Flt 800 anniversary.

Is there any validity to their argument? I can't imagine a problem as severe as they imply being overlooked like that.

Check out the video that they have on that page. Pretty intense.

Mellyrose
2006-07-14, 01:12 PM
I was just about to post this link. I even downloaded Windows Media Player on my Mac at work to try and view the video....it didn't work, I'll have to watch it at home.

FlyingColors
2006-07-16, 10:46 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/14/twa.main/index.html

Something tells me that this is just one of the many times that the media fills the public with fear at the opportune time of the Flt 800 anniversary.

Is there any validity to their argument? I can't imagine a problem as severe as they imply being overlooked like that.

Check out the video that they have on that page. Pretty intense.

You said it.
Common sense dictates that if this was a legitimate fault or situation, then the same results would have happened dozens of times and more before Flt 800. And sure afterwards too.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-07-17, 02:20 AM
I watched part of the program tonight. It does seem that the Airline Industry, NTSB and the FAA all finally realize that there is a problem with having Oxygen in the Fuel Tanks should a very rare occurence happen and a spark occur.

They say this happens on average every 4 years worldwide in all types of different aircraft. Given the number of flights in a day, let a alone a year, it doesn't seem like a huge danger, just one that exists that everybody is crossing their fingers about and hoping doesn't happen again.

I think CNN just had nothing else to do a report on, and scaring the public with a documentary saying that their next flight has a chance of suddenly blowing up, helps them increase ratings and makes it look like they're informing us well...

Good news is that Boeing is installing all new aircraft with Nitrogen tanks (about 300 pounds) to replace the oxygen in the Fuel Tanks and inhibit any type of explosion that would come from a "renegade" spark.

It'd be great to have all existing aircraft re-fitted with this tank, but realistically, the costs are just too great and the risk too low, to make the FAA force airlines to ground their planes and spend money on retro-fitting them with this tank....