PDA

View Full Version : Italy Wins World Cup!!

Iberia A340-600
2006-07-09, 06:12 PM
Italy played France today at 20:00 (Madrid time) and ended up beating them 5-3 in penalties! It was 1-1 for the regular duration of the game.

Italy!!

Now we have to wait four years for Fifa World Cup 2006 South Africa!

T-Bird76
2006-07-09, 06:21 PM
There will be no living with Nick now, good god help us all.

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-09, 06:51 PM
Finally. No more idiots driving around with flags on the hoods of their car, honking and acting as though their home country winning actually means anything.

jran225
2006-07-09, 06:59 PM
Now we have to wait four years for Fifa World Cup 2006 South Africa!

You might want to look that statement over for a second.. :wink:

Finally. No more idiots driving around with flags on the hoods of their car, honking and acting as though their home country winning actually means anything.

Jeez dude, chill - they're just showing their support..

Anyway, VIVA LA FORZA AZZURRI! They played hard and deserved the victory! :D

[/quote]

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-09, 07:02 PM
I just think the honking and yelling is invasive and annoying, as well as dangerous since alcohol is usually involved.

I also think it's sad that these people will wave those flags all day long, but probably never consider waving an Americna flag alongside.

Not to mention that putting any flag on the hood of your car like is extremely disrespectful to it.

jran225
2006-07-09, 07:08 PM
Hey Phil,

I realize that them "celebrating" can be invasive or annoying, but I doubt that it's dangerous in the majority of cases. This type of thing might be a bit unusual in the US, but if you go to any European or African country, you'll find that this is just the way people support their countries. Considering that many Americans have strong ties to these coutries through their heritages, I think it is completely justifiable for them to do this kind of thing. And you only need to put up with it for a month every four years, so it's not all bad. I'm sure if America had made it to the finals, you'd be driving around Flushing waving a US flag out of your car, lol. :D

Just my $.02,
-Omar S.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-07-09, 08:21 PM
Jeezus, Howard Beach was going crazy after Italy won... We were on the way back from the beach, and people were going nuts, kids hanging out of car windows waving huge italian flags, people with Italian flags on the back or hood of their cars etc... etc...

Too bad I don't speak Italian, because I would try to start a conversation with every one of these people I saw doing this today, and I can pretty much GUARANTEE you that no one could answer me. These people have no clue what being Italian is, and live the "American-Italian" life. Go find some real Italians, and most will tell you they are ashamed of these people...

So maybe, just maybe, these people could try waving American flags around on July 4th next year, or hanging American flags up, and show more American pride - since that's what they are...

jran225
2006-07-09, 10:27 PM
Hey bro,

if you didn't start a conversation with any of them, then how do you know that none of them are Italian or are of Italian blood or are celebrating with Italian friends or just love Italy. I doubt that any "real" Italians would be ashamed of what you saw...
I have quite a few German friends living in my area ("real" Germans as you would put it) and when Germany was still in the running, they would do the same thing - drive around D.C. waving around German flags, wearing face paint, supporting their team. I thought this is a country where one is free to support whatever or whomever one wants to - be it the US or Germany or Italy. I'm an American, but that doesn't mean I have to support the American team. Sure I'm proud that they made it into the World Cup, but frankly, they had no chance of winning, so I chose to support team that was more like to succeed, such as Italy. That doesn't make a bad American, just a more open-minded, diverse one....it's a shame that there aren't more around. :roll:

Good night guys and girl,
-Omar S.

<Edited for mistaken identity...whoops>

USAF Pilot 07
2006-07-09, 10:43 PM
Ok, Im not steve, but I think that was meant for me....
What I'm saying is that I wish I spoke Italian, so that I could try to start a conversation with some of the people, because I bet that they wouldn't understand me, let alone be able to answer me. I've actually met a few "real" Italians, on vacation here from Italy, who said that the Italians here that they've met/seen are nothing at all like the Italians in Italy, and who thought that many of them gave real Italians a bad name.... It's somewhat similar to the views that many Puerto Ricans living in P.R. have about NYC Puerto Ricans....

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for having pride in your family's country. But, these people are Americans, not Italians. Many of them weren't going around waving American flags on July 4th, or never even displayed an American flag... But, come time for the World Cup, and you'd think these people were Italian citizens! I'm glad they have pride for their heritage's country, but it'd be nice if they showed a little American pride once in a while too!

lijk604
2006-07-10, 12:02 PM
Nick hasn't replied to this thread yet.

Must be drunk with happiness.

NIKV69
2006-07-10, 08:59 PM
Finally. No more idiots driving around with flags on the hoods of their car, honking and acting as though their home country winning actually means anything

Kind of surprised at you Phil. Just because some people are proud of their country winning perhaps the biggest sporting event in the world doesn't make them idiots. I also doubt that it is very dangerous. No more so than someone gabbing on their cell as they drive.

FORZA AZURRI!

Was in little Italy when they clinched! Was such a great time. People were hanging out of windows, banging pans and throwing beer and water on us in the street. We were dancing and singing and going bananas!

I am going back for the feast of San Gennaro, maybe we can get something organized here, oh wait there may only be Italian flags so Phil won't like it.

PhilDernerJr
2006-07-10, 10:12 PM
Exactly....someone gabbing on their cell phone is EXTREMELY dangerous,a nd I think thepenalties forit should be harsher. People hanging out of car windows is also very dangerous, especially since it's usually after a party where there was drinking going on.

Also, as I said, which was ignored by most, there are rules that go with the flag. It is considered very rude to put your flag on the hood of a car, whether it's for love of your country or not.

Not that I'm the captain of immaturity or have no patriotic love myself. I just find peopel honking, screaming and yelling out of zooming cars to be excessive in terms of sports celebrations.

NIKV69
2006-07-10, 11:21 PM
]Also, as I said, which was ignored by most, there are rules that go with the flag. It is considered very rude to put your flag on the hood of a car, whether it's for love of your country or not.

Oh I agree but many people pay no mind to the rules of the American Flag. Your not supposed to fly the flag in the rain or the dark, yet people do it all the time. You are also not supposed to let it touch the ground at any time, and if this happens you are supposed to burn it to destroy it. Yet these ideals are not held by civilians or people of this day and age.