PDA

View Full Version : Tomcats and hornets

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-05-29, 06:50 PM
I actually went back to Jones Beach today despite the CRAZY traffic of yesterdays show. At about 11:30 am I spotted 2 hornets and 2 Tomcats, yes I said Tomcats at about 6 or 7 thousand feet, flying west , southwest. I know there was a flyover today in the city but I dont know what flew. Anyone have any info? I am 99% sure they were Tomcats as they were def 2 hornets and the size and wingspan comparison def suggested that of a 14.

Jonesbeach
2006-05-30, 07:51 AM
I think I saw them as well. They were far enough away that I couldn't really identify them, so I figured they were the F-15's and F-16's leaving ISP. I love hearing military jets over LI. I would never get sick of that.

Derf
2006-05-30, 08:24 AM
I think I saw them as well. They were far enough away that I couldn't really identify them, so I figured they were the F-15's and F-16's leaving ISP. I love hearing military jets over LI. I would never get sick of that.

I was told that 2 F-14 flew over Jones Beach yesterday afternoon...I could
swear that I was listening to the 15's leaving ISP early yesterday and the F-14's were seen later. Do not know, was not me that saw them so I can not confirm....sorry

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-05-30, 10:08 AM
They were in fact 2 hornets and 2 Tomcats. I saw on the news that they did a flyover for the fleetweek and Memorial day parade in the city. Two hornets and 2 CAG painted 14's. When did the 2 VFA-106 hornets depart FRG? Might have been them in the flyover.

GrummanFan
2006-05-30, 04:50 PM
It was supposed to be 4 Tomcats, but things must have changed. I was very depressed to know that there was a flyover that I couldn't go to. Luckily for me, at 11:20am, I saw the two Tomcats and two Hornets fly right over my house. Granted, they were rather high up, but I saw them, and they were loud. Thats all that matters.

Derf
2006-05-30, 10:35 PM
PLEASE CLICK THIS FOR THE BEST SHOTS OF THE AIRSHOW YOU WILL EVER SEE!!!! (not mine of course!!!)
http://www.funmansion.com/html/fm-New-York-Air-Show.html

Jonesbeach
2006-05-31, 06:53 AM
Thanks Fred, that site is awesome. That's got to be a sweet job, taking air-to-air photos of planes!

T-Bird76
2006-05-31, 09:40 AM
Dam those are fantastic shots!!! Top notch! Although somehow if Fred told me he took them it wouldn't surprise me. Fred has the ability of getting himself into some good spots.

GrummanFan
2006-05-31, 04:49 PM
I want to see the shots that the R22 helicopter took at the end of the show. What was the name of that helicopter club?