PDA

View Full Version : NYC School Cell Phone Ban Causes Uproar

Midnight Mike
2006-05-13, 12:24 AM
NYC School Cell Phone Ban Causes Uproar
May 12, 4:09 PM ET

A ban on cell phones in the nation's biggest school system is creating an uproar among parents and students alike, with teenagers smuggling their phones inside their lunches and under their clothes, and grown-ups insisting they need to stay in touch with their children in case of another crisis like Sept. 11.

Parents have written angry letters and e-mails, staged rallies and news conferences, and threatened to sue. Some City Council members are introducing legislation on their behalf.

But Mayor Michael Bloomberg and schools Chancellor Joel Klein have staunchly refused to drop the ban. They insist cell phones are a distraction and are used to cheat, take inappropriate photos in bathrooms, and organize gang rendezvous. They are also a top stolen item.

Students have refused to give up their phones, saying the devices have become too vital to their daily existence and to their parents' peace of mind.

"My mother, she needs me to have the cell to call me and check up on me," said Steven Cao, 16, a sophomore who lives in Staten Island and attends Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan. He called the ban stupid.

Some parents would prefer a policy that lets students have cell phones but prohibits their use in classes.

New York's 1.1-million-student school system has banned beepers and other communication devices since the late 1980s. But schools have long used an "out-of-sight, out-of-trouble" approach. Then, late last month, city officials began sending portable metal detectors every day to a random but small set of schools to keep out weapons. And the detectors have led to the confiscation of hundreds of cell phones.

New York has one of the country's toughest policies on student cell phones, and also bans other electronic devices such as iPods.

Detroit bans cell phones, and a two-time violator will not get the phone back. Boston relied on a school-by-school approach until recently, when it changed the policy to let students have a phone, but only if it is turned off and out of sight. Los Angeles lets kids have cell phones, but they can use them only during lunch and breaks.

Kenneth Trump, president of Ohio-based National School Safety and Security Services, said his research indicates most schools ban the phones. Others require students to turn off the devices during school hours.

New York principals said the ban is tough to enforce, especially in large schools without metal detectors.

"Every kid today does carry a cell phone," said Howard Lucks, principal of New Utrecht High in Brooklyn. "The kids keep them in their backpacks, their pockets. As soon as they see an administrator or teacher, they put it away very quickly."

Elizabeth Casanola sneaks her cell phone past the metal detectors at her high school by slipping it down her pants, just below the waistband, where she knows she won't be patted down.

Even at schools with permanent metal detectors, students find ways to sneak the phones inside. Casanola sometimes smuggles her phone in in pieces, with the battery separate from the main body.

Once inside the school, another tactic is to hide the phone in a sandwich roll, according to one principal. Some students leave phones at nearby stores that charge small holding fees.

Yen Ramirez, a junior at Manhattan's Washington Irving High, said students need their phones for emergencies. The ban is a problem "because you never know what could happen."

Students insist that most classmates use their cell phones responsibly, and they brush off criticism that previous generations got along fine without them.

"It's kind of ridiculous that we think we can't survive without a cell phone when people did it for thousands of years," said Elisa Muyl, 14, a freshman at Stuyvesant High. "But now that they have this invention, we should use it."

T-Bird76
2006-05-13, 09:30 AM
Its about time! There is absolutely no need what so ever to have cell phones in schools!

Mellyrose
2006-05-13, 09:38 AM
Seriously. Parents can get in touch with their children through the school in case of emergency. That's how it went when I was in High School.

On 9/11, even if the kids DID have their cell phones, the parents wouldn't have been able to get through. Anyone trying to call in or out of NYC that day knows that. If the parents are that overbearing, then they should give their teenagers quarters to take to school to have them use payphones during lunch for a check in.

NIKV69
2006-05-13, 10:44 AM
Cell phones have gotten to be a total pain in the ass. There is no need for them in school. Period.

Alex T
2006-05-13, 01:24 PM
For the most part my high school had the same "ban". We couldn't have them on or bring them to school. However I was an exception, since I could not hear on the pay phone and only on my cell phone, I was given permission to bring my cell phone with me to school.

When my parents needed to make a call to me or leave a message for me to call them they'd call the school and I'd come to the office and call them back on my cell phone in the office.

if I had to make a phone call during school hours, i asked permission to go to the office and I would make the phone call there.

now the school really doesnt give a ****, they bring the phones but it must be turned off or hidden out of sight.

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-13, 01:29 PM
I don't think that having a cell phone ON YOU is a big deal. I think it's a little drastic to ban them like that. Forbidding them to be on during school hours is understnadable.

Midnight Mike
2006-05-13, 01:43 PM
I don't think that having a cell phone ON YOU is a big deal. I think it's a little drastic to ban them like that. Forbidding them to be on during school hours is understnadable.

Normally I agree with you, but, having the cell phone on you, is tooooo tempting to use it, whether to call a friend, or send a friend a text message.

My wife teaches College, you would be surprised how many adults get calls during class, & these are people in their 20's & 30's.... At least used to, now during class, if your phone rings during class, you will either be excused from class, or a 0 on your quiz....

Now, for the High School kids, just simpler to ban the cell phone.....

Mellyrose
2006-05-13, 01:54 PM
Also, kids DO use cell phones to cheat....text messages, built in calculators, even internet is available on most phones. I understand the ban, because they aren't absolutely necessary to have, and therefore why should schools take the risk? It's hard to distinguish when it's ok to let kids have them on, and at the same time it's impossible to monitor if one is on. Kids are sneaky...cheating will happen if cell phones are allowed in school.

cancidas
2006-05-14, 06:15 PM
man, i was never allowed to have a cell in high school and i turned out only semi-abnormal!! people need to toughen up, jeez...