PDA

View Full Version : NYCAviation Family Picnic! June 24

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-07, 07:59 PM
As summer approaches, the long, hot days and high sun make it tough for spotting during the day. So I thought it was time for something social during the day for the whole family.

What: NYCAviation Family Picnic

Where: Herman MacNeil Park, 5th Ave and 115th Street in College Point, Queens. Refer to Point D on the LGA Map: http://nycaviation.com/lgaspotting

When: June 24 from 11:00am to 5:00pm (Raindate to be determined)

Who: You, your friends and your family.

Why: Because it’s about time to sit back and relax with the fam!

This is a time where we put photography on the backburner and hang out with our friends on the comfy green hills of the park that overlooks LGA 22 arrivals or 4 departures.

Bring your friends and family!! Bring anyone you want. This is not just an aviation event. There is a playground and regular Mister Softee visits for the kids, lots of trees for shade, nice grass and a safe environment with an airport and skyline view.

There will be things that everyone will have to bring though! Everyone should contribute a few things so that we are set and have everything. If everyone brings a little something, we will have a very tasty and relaxing bash. Bring a couple of things from the list:

- Blankets
- Chairs
- Sandwiches
- Coolers
- Ice
- Drinks (no alcohol is allowed)
- Paper or Styrofoam Plates
- Plastic Forks, Knives, Spoons
- Mustard, Mayo, Ketchup
- Frisbees, soccer balls, footballs, baseball mitts (bring extra mitts for others if you have!) handballs and basketballs (there are courts for both!). Bring a net and rackets for birdie or volleyball action or whatever else you’d like!
- Whatever food or items you think would be good to bring and share.

Bring your wife or husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, your kids and your friends.

Oh, and did I mention RAFFLES? We will have a raffle with some great prizes such as posters, pictures and other memorabilia that we have, much of with contributed to NYCAviation from friends at the Boeing Alteon Training Center.

Did someone say they are worried about bathrooms? Well I live a block from the park and will take turns bringing people up for those who really want to use an actual restroom as opposed to the park’s facilities. This should make the ladies feel more comfortable (always the excuse from the wife. haha).

If it rains or something, the date will be pushed back to Mid-July so it does not conflict with 4th of July celebrations. Stay tuned to keep up to date on the dates.

I’m really excited to have this be the first NYCA event of the season. I hope you all come.

Post if you’re coming. Post your questions. Post the things you will bring.

See you there!!

Mellyrose
2006-05-07, 08:49 PM
Bring a net

What about Jetphotos?

Alex T
2006-05-07, 09:13 PM
Bring a net

What about Jetphotos?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hahahaha omg that was great Mel!! Only aviation nuts like us would think of that

Don't forget other aviation websites!!;)

I hope you guys all have a great time, I plan to be in dallas at that time, but fi it gets moved back due to rain and I am in town I'll be happy to join up, but have a great time when it comes around!!

Alex

Iberia A340-600
2006-05-07, 09:17 PM
The picnic sounds great Phil! I wish that I could attend but I leave for Spain on June 11th and don't return until July 13th.

I hope you guys have a lot of fun!

MarkLawrence
2006-05-07, 09:32 PM
would love to make the trip up from PBI, but unfortunately, I won't be able to - family visiting from overseas! Have a great time!

lijk604
2006-05-07, 09:38 PM
Great Idea Phil!

June 24th...a Saturday! This just might work for me. Count me as a probable for now, will know better towards the begining of June.

John
Patchogue, NY

jran225
2006-05-07, 09:54 PM
Hey Phil,

my girlfriend and I are considering making the trip up to NYC for a weekend, so if that does materialize, we'll be sure to join you all! :D

Regards,
-Omar S.

JRadier
2006-05-08, 05:13 AM
Good reason to visit NYC again.... I'll think about it

mirrodie
2006-05-08, 09:04 AM
sounds great. but we'll be late.

see you then

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-05-08, 10:57 AM
Sounds like a great idea Phil, and thanks for taking the initiative to put it together. I would love to come, however I will be in the New England area that whole weekend for both the Rhode Island airshow with the Thunderbirds, and the Westfield show with the blues. It might be worth moving it from College Point to new England, lol. We can all wear our Yankee and Met hats. lol.

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-16, 08:47 PM
Seems like a few of you might not be able to make it. I'm thinking about pushing it back.

What weekends ARE good for you folks? :)

mirrodie
2006-05-16, 09:29 PM
Phil i dont mean to be a PITA, but I like Sundays. but I dont think Sundays work for every one.

Meanwhile Saturdays are good for others.

so why not do a Saturday, from 1 PM til Sunset for...

somewhere after July 18, the middle of the summer(thoeretically)

I think May and June dates are tough due to graduations and vacations. But hte dead of summer might be better??

Can you put up a vote counter thingie??
:)

T-Bird76
2006-05-16, 10:38 PM
I say Saturday as well. As for dates amazingly every Sunday in July and August are open for me right now, thats a shock....!

Alex T
2006-05-16, 11:08 PM
I say Saturday as well. As for dates amazingly every Sunday in July and August are open for me right now, thats a shock....!

well i plan to be in town July 6th-9th. For now (depends how my job stuff goes) (so toms sat and sunday on that date is out :wink: (for now :P )

So if you have it that weekend I will be in town just to let you all know.

Otherwise, I have no other say in this.

NIKV69
2006-05-20, 05:18 PM
Either works for me, though I think the time should be a little later, say something like 1 or 2 to sunset instead of 11am.

FlyingColors
2006-05-21, 04:26 PM
Lets see, make it July 23ed, 2:15 and end it precisely 120 seconds after dusk.

That should do it!

PhilDernerJr
2006-05-24, 10:40 PM
I'm going to be pushing it back to July. I don't know the date yet, but I will delete this thread and start a new one once I know.

Feel free to throw questions and suggestions in the mean time.

mirrodie
2006-05-25, 12:46 AM
after July 17? :)

JRadier
2006-05-25, 03:15 AM
Damn, this was the only weekend I could make it ......

jran225
2006-05-26, 04:02 PM
....same here, guess the out-of-towners are out of luck Jurgen! :P
Hey, are you going to be in Amsterdam around mid-August?

Regards,
-Omar S. :D

JRadier
2006-05-26, 06:33 PM
....same here, guess the out-of-towners are out of luck Jurgen! :P
Hey, are you going to be in Amsterdam around mid-August?

Regards,
-Omar S. :D
I'm getting back from Germany around then....

I'm still looking at coming the weekend of the 24th, but if I have more certainty about it I will open a new thread