PDA

View Full Version : Can you please lend a hand?

mirrodie
2006-04-26, 11:40 PM
http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?offset=30&where=search|-2|-2|-2|-2||30|2|||||||-2|-2|-2|-2|||30|1||-2|187||||all|2||||||-2|||2||||||

Can someone please explain how this works? I am still relatively new to digital phtography so I am really haveing a tough time with editing. I know it takes practice, but here is my question

If you look at the majority of my most recent shots, all of which I upload to jetphotos, I really feel the majority are OVERSHARPENED. Is it just me? Yet, after many rejects for undersharp, I feel I am really missing something. I feel there is such a thing as too sharp and oftentimes, I see something as sharp yet screeners see it as blurry. Any comments?

moose135
2006-04-27, 11:21 AM
First, those are some nice shots, Mario.

I know what you mean about looking oversharpened. I've had the same problem with determining the "sweet spot" between soft and oversharpened. Most photos that get accepted look a little oversharp to me. I think it's a matter of practice, and if you plan to keep uploading, learning the nuances of the screeners. Keep up the good work!

mirrodie
2006-05-03, 02:01 PM
I really feel the majority are OVERSHARPENED. Is it just me?

thanks John..

can anyone else provide some insight please? Tbird thinks i have fear of hte jaggies and I think he's right. BUt I really feel most of my jetphotos images are too sharp whereas if I sharpen them less, I get rejected.

do I need a new eye doc?

Mr Smith
2006-05-03, 07:59 PM
they are jagged, no doubt about that! try reading the tutorial i wrote up in another thread here.

Tom_Turner
2006-05-03, 08:51 PM
I really feel the majority are OVERSHARPENED. Is it just me?

I haven't looked at these shots yet Mario, but the aesthetic we find on these sites we upload to is slightly skewed towards oversharpened to begin with, so generally speaking, no, in my opinion, its not just you.

I guess the good side of that issue is the sites set a precedent early on to discourage overly soft images which are commonplace elsewhere on the net since the explosion of popularity of many digital cameras.

Ideally, you could sharpen in layers etc..but if doing a simple sharpening, apart from protecting the sky, be careful of the leading edges of wings, thin cheat lines (such as on Olympic), flaps etc.

Tom

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-05-04, 03:14 PM
Mario, are you using progressive sharpening layers?

mirrodie
2006-05-04, 05:38 PM
dude, I dont even know what that means...

the whole layers concpet I have yet to play with.

Illl try to dabble with Montys suggestion first. But I have never even played with layers to know how to even answer that question....

*sheepishly grins*

Im a tool

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-05-04, 06:35 PM
Sharpening via layers:

http://www.rockymountainavphotos.com/Kyle/Workflows/Progressive/Progressive.htm