PDA

View Full Version : Scott Crossfield - RIP

Tom_Turner
2006-04-23, 01:57 AM
Test Pilot's Body Said Found in Wreckage By DANIEL YEE, Associated Press Writer
Thu Apr 20

RANGER, Ga. - Legendary test pilot Scott Crossfield, the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound, was found dead Thursday in the wreckage of a single-engine plane in the mountains of northern Georgia, authorities said.

Searchers discovered the wreckage about 1 p.m. near Ranger, 50 miles northwest of Atlanta. The Civil Air Patrol identified the body found inside as Crossfield.

There were thunderstorms in the area Wednesday morning when air traffic monitors lost radio and radar contact with the Crossfield's Cessna 210A, said Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration. The plane had left Prattville, Ala., around 9 a.m. that day for his home near Manassas, Va.

Crossfield's son-in-law, Ed Fleming, told The Associated Press from Crossfield's home on Thursday that family had been notified his plane and body had been found.

The airplane carrying the 84-year-old pilot crashed in a remote and heavily forested gully about 10 miles from Ranger. Oris Hendrix, who lives about a mile away, said she had heard the plane having trouble in the storm.

"He was trying to turn and he just went down," she said. "You could tell the motor was having trouble. You could tell the motor cut off."

Among the small community of test pilots, Crossfield was a legend, said veteran test pilot Fred Griffith of Shelter Bay, Wash.

"This guy was a gentleman and an aviator. That's the top of the line," said Griffith, a test pilot for 40 years. "There's pilots, there's drivers. An aviator is something else. That's the best I can say about anyone in this business.

"I don't know anybody who was more respectable than Scotty Crossfield."

In the early 1950s, Crossfield had been one of a group of civilian pilots assembled by the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics, the forerunner of NASA.

Air Force Capt. Chuck Yeager had already broken the speed of sound in his history-making flight in 1947. But Crossfield set the Mach 2 record — twice the speed of sound — in 1953, when he reached 1,300 mph in NACA's Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket.

In 1960, Crossfield reached Mach 2.97 in an X-15 rocket plane launched from a B-52 bomber. The plane reached an altitude of 81,000 feet. At the time, Crossfield was working as a pilot and design consultant for North American Aviation, which made the X-15. He later worked as an executive for Eastern Airlines and Hawker Siddley Aviation.

More recently, Crossfield had a key role in preparations for the attempt to re-enact the Wright brothers' flight on the 100th anniversary of their feat near Kitty Hawk, N.C. He trained four pilots for the Dec. 17, 2003, flight attempt in a replica of the brothers' flyer, but poor weather prevented the take-off.

Among his many honors, Crossfield was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 1983.

LGA777
2006-04-23, 10:01 AM
Yes indeed RIP. The fact that at the age of 84 he was still able to fly single pilot is a wonderful testament to this gentleman's amazing spirit and he died doing what he loved to do. My mom is 85, is in very good health for her age but I could not imagine her getting behind the wheel of a car anymore (her choice) so for me I am very impressed he was still able to fly un-assisted. What an amazing life he must have had !

Respectfully

LGA777

Laxgoaly
2006-04-23, 11:04 AM
I found this out at work yesterday, and the biggest thing that broke my heart was that NOBODY knew who Mr Corssfield was... I was shocked when I heard that the king of speed finally bought the farm in a light single... Its eerie that he passed away this weekend, because saturday I picked up a wonderful book called "X-15 Diary: The Story Of America's First Spaceship" and Mr Crossfield wrote the foward to the book... kinda ironic i geuss... well i hope his legacy lives on forever in the hearts of the aviation and space community!

PhilDernerJr
2006-04-23, 11:14 AM
I remember first seeing Mr. Crossfield when looking in books that had phoots of the X-15 under the wing of the B-52. It was insane I thought. I was a litlte confused, and I had to keep reading and researching to figure out why this small X-15 was under the wing and the rest of the story. Imagine being 7 years old and standing next to the tiny drawers of the Duey Decimal system and trying to explain to an old lady that I want to read about the X-15. She had no idea and I got nowhere. lol

I like the point brought up about the term "aviator". It's something that is so true, and that only people in the aviation world can appreciate it. I was watching a mini-documentary about the Jolly Rogers F-14 squadron and they also explained the term very well.

May Mr. Crossfield rest in peace.

mirrodie
2006-04-23, 11:35 AM
God Bless him.

HE really went out I think any aviator would want to.. Not hooked to IV and withering away in bed, but out doing what he loved.

That funeral will surely be a celebration of the man.

T-Bird76
2006-04-23, 11:22 PM
Sad that he has passed but if your time in this world is up why not leave it doing something you love like Scott did. Truly a great American and a legend in his own time and beyond.

cancidas
2006-04-24, 06:44 PM
it's kind of ironic... all those experimentals he flew that could have easily ended his career and he dies as a result of wx in a single engine piston...

truly a sad day for this community.

Derf
2006-04-24, 10:05 PM
God Bless him.

HE really went out I think any aviator would want to.. Not hooked to IV and withering away in bed, but out doing what he loved.

That funeral will surely be a celebration of the man.

Woohaaa, Lets not go here and Please do not tell this to ANY Aviator!

I know.... I thought it and was there when one person told my good friend who few A-10's at the time...Now he is flying the F-117 and He about knocked the sh!t out of the guy. No aviator will respond in kind to this remark (LET ME SAY AGAIN, I always thought the same thing...so I am just as guilty) I believe he said "If you think for one &#^$*& second that any *#^$** Pilot would want to die in a burning wreck...You are out of your ^(*#($$ mind, Pilots love to fly, not die period....they last way a pilot wants to die is in an aircraft period"

Now, for some reason, I get strong with all of Mirrodies comments lately and want to say sorry... I love you man (In a manly beer drinking way).... I do not know why this is and it is not directed at you...I think I had to post this because I do not want anyone here to really piss off a pilot with that statement.

The other thing that I want to say is that I thought that Yeager implying that this dead pilot would get himself into trouble by flying into bad weather was uncalled-for.