PDA

View Full Version : Theater Pulls Trailer for 'United 93'

Midnight Mike
2006-04-04, 03:30 PM
Tue Apr 4, 11:46 AM ET

NEW YORK - A New York City movie theater has pulled the trailer for "United 93," which chronicles in real time the hijacked United Airlines flight that crashed into a Western Pennsylvania field on Sept. 11.

The AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 theater in Manhattan said it made the decision after viewers complained they found it too upsetting.

"I don't think people are ready for this," theater manager Kevin Adjodha said.

"One lady was crying," Adjodha told Newsweek. "She was saying that we shouldn't have played the trailer. That this was wrong."

Universal Studios in Los Angeles, meanwhile, said it would go ahead with plans to show the trailer for the thriller, which is scheduled to open in theaters on April 28.

Adam Fogelson, Universal's president of marketing, said the trailer would be shown only before R-rated movies or "grown-up" PG-13 ones.

"The film is not sanitized or softened, it's an honest and real look" at the events of Flight 93, Fogelson told The New York Times in Tuesday editions. "If I sanitized the trailer beyond what's there, am I suggesting that the experience will be less real than what the movie itself is? We as a company feel comfortable that it is a responsible and fair way to show what's coming."

"United 93" is scheduled to make its world premiere on opening night at the Tribeca Film Festival in Manhattan.

The festival, which was created to help lower Manhattan recover economically from the attacks, begins April 25 and runs through May 7.

The trailer begins with images of passengers boarding the plane on a sunny morning, and builds to a disturbing scene that includes actual news video of a plane about to hit one of the World Trade Center towers. It then returns inside Flight 93 as terrorists begin hijacking it and a passenger calls his family to tell them of the impending disaster.

The Families of Flight 93 have said that Universal Pictures will donate 10 percent of the first three days' grosses to the memorial.

http://www.united93movie.com

Matt Molnar
2006-04-04, 04:50 PM
Umm, sorry to remind you guys we're at war. Let's ban CNN too. If it were up to me, CBS, NBC and ABC evening newscasts would show the people jumping out of the burning towers once a week.

Mellyrose
2006-04-04, 04:57 PM
I just watched the preview (which, even with high speed internet, the 30 second clip took about 10 minutes to stream...WTF?)

Honestly, it's pretty watered down if you ask me. Someone cried in a movie theater? Gimme a break. If you're that sheltered, you shouldn't be going to the movies to begin with.

I agree with Gotham....if they're gonna pull something as mild as that trailer, they should put disclaimers on CNN, etc, too.

RDU-JFK
2006-04-04, 06:21 PM
I'd agree as well...the trailers are rated beforehand anyways so I'm assuming it's not too graphic, although I still cannotview the footage of the planes being flown into 1 and 2 WTC without getting goosebumps and dry-throated, and feelimg large amounts of rage.

JRadier
2006-04-04, 06:41 PM
http://www.jurassicpunk.com/clips/United.93.trailer.mov direct faster link to the trailer.

It's a good trailer, I understand it can be emotional, but please.... this isn't as upsetting as the death in Bambi....

Midnight Mike
2006-04-04, 06:48 PM
http://www.jurassicpunk.com/clips/United.93.trailer.mov direct faster link to the trailer.

It's a good trailer, I understand it can be emotional, but please.... this isn't as upsetting as the death in Bambi....

HEY! I cried at Bambi, & Dumbo! :oops: :shock:

JRadier
2006-04-05, 01:28 PM

HEY! I cried at Bambi, & Dumbo! :oops: :shock:
So did I (when I was 7:P), but don't you agree Bambi was more upsetting then this? ;)

Mellyrose
2006-04-05, 01:47 PM
Wow, this thread went straight down the tubes. I agree that the trailer is not as graphic as people are making it out to be, but have a little respect...comparing it to Disney, even though obviously a joke, is still pretty degrading.

Alex T
2006-04-05, 02:11 PM
I still get quite upset at 9/11 footage, whether articles, or movies, or clips or interviews. It was a horrendous day for me and all. I will watch 93, and I WILL get upset, but I wont be mad its being shown in theaters for previews. It isn't going to make everyone happy.

Alex

Midnight Mike
2006-04-05, 02:21 PM
I read a report that the Producers of the Flight 93 movie, contact the 9/11 families to get their blessing before starting production, all family members gave their approval.

I would tend to think that if the 9/11 families have no problems with the movie, why would anybody else have a problem.....

Personal Guarantee, all of this media attention will ensure that the movie opens to huge box office numbers, I bet the people that screamed out, "Too Soon" will be the first on line to see the movie..

(By the way, the movie looks pretty good so far)

Ari707
2006-04-05, 02:28 PM
wasn't there just a TV movie about it too....

JRadier
2006-04-05, 06:41 PM
Wow, this thread went straight down the tubes. I agree that the trailer is not as graphic as people are making it out to be, but have a little respect...comparing it to Disney, even though obviously a joke, is still pretty degrading.
Obviously I wasn't comparing 9/11 to a disney movie, rather the reaction of some people.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Tower Air
2006-04-11, 06:12 PM
hey what's the configuration of a united 752 in the move the united 752 configuration is in first/business 2x2 and in coach 3x3

Tower Air
2006-04-16, 11:38 PM
Does Anyone Know?

Mellyrose
2006-04-17, 06:47 AM
Please clarify your question and we'll be able to answer you easier.

Tower Air
2006-04-17, 01:42 PM
The question is: What is the configuration of a regular united 752, in the movie the united 752 configuration is in first/business 2x2 and in coach 3x3. What would be the configuration of a regular united 752.

T-Bird76
2006-04-17, 02:05 PM
The question is: What is the configuration of a regular united 752, in the movie the united 752 configuration is in first/business 2x2 and in coach 3x3. What would be the configuration of a regular united 752.

It would be the same thing, I don't know any 757 withouth that config.