PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Photos

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 09:56 PM
The past week has yielded some good chances for me to get some sunset photos at LGA. I hope you nejoy. Let me know what you think.

http://www.nycaviation.com/pichost/DL_752_LGA31Arr1_032006.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/pichost/AT_N945AT_LGA31Arr1_032006.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/pichost/CO_738_N14250_LGA31Arr1_032706.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/pichost/UA_752_N507UA_LGA31Arr1_032706.jpg

AA 777
2006-03-27, 09:58 PM
Those pics are just stunning phil! Im predicting heavy hitters on anet and jetphotos!

-Matt

Tom_Turner
2006-03-27, 10:02 PM
I love these shots Phil.

I've always been hesistant to shoot into a direct sunset - not knowing if it would be a danger to the eyes...but of course, people do shoot them all them time of course (if the opportunity is there), so I guess I am just being overly concerned about that.

Are any particular filters neccesary?

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 10:05 PM
I certainly walked away with spots in my eyes, I can't lie.

I used no filters. In fact, I had to REMOVE my UV filter because otherwise I'd have ended up with severe lens flare reflecting between it and the actual lens.

My lens also freaks out when aimed at the sun. The IS doesn't work right and clicks funny. It's important to make sure that the sun is LOW, low enough so that it's not as intense. But even then you run the risk.

T-Bird76
2006-03-27, 10:06 PM
Great pics Phil, as i said I really love that first 757 shot, simply fantastic! Nice work

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-03-27, 10:29 PM
Phil those are excellent silhouette shots for a first attempt (or for any attempt, for that matter).

The thing about shooting silhouettes like this is that it's alot more harmful to your eye to do this than it is to look straight on into the sun. Reason being that at 5mm across give or take a mm or two, not that many photons are actually passing through your your pupil and hitting the cones/rods at the back of your eye. Now, when you factor in the diameter of your lens, 77mm, the lens is gathering alot of photons, several hundred times the amount your eye gathers. The lenses (through the viewfinder) focus all the photons down to a width that can pass through your pupil, in the process, all the photons that come through the front element get very concentrated, so that your rods/cones are being exposed to several hundred times the amount of photons that they would be if you were just looking at the sun. If you do it too often, you will get eye damage.

What I do with these kinds of shots is I actually follow the expected glidepath of the aircraft with my lens (when there's no plane there you kinda have to guess) and then pick the spot closest to the sun. This way, you're protecting your eye a little bit since the sun isn't usually in the glidepath. If it is, I put the sun in the viewfinder and I take a quick look in being careful to only have my eye in the viewfinder for a second at most, set my exposure accordingly, then do it again to make sure I get it right. When it comes down to actually panning, I don't worry about it because the time the lens is actually pointing at the sun in a pan is very low.

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 10:41 PM
Who said it was my first attempt? I go for things kind of shots all the time.

As for my eyes, I'm not that worried. Mario already beats the **** out of me for my contact lens abuse.

Thanks for your kind words, guys.

mirrodie
2006-03-27, 10:49 PM
I am speechless, on more than one level ;)

jakbar
2006-03-27, 10:56 PM
Nice shots, but I agree with what has been said about the risks to your eyes of shooting into the sun. I wouldn't do it too often.

Eric Daniel Smith
2006-03-27, 10:57 PM
Who said it was my first attempt? I go for things kind of shots all the time.

As for my eyes, I'm not that worried. Mario already beats the **** out of me for my contact lens abuse.

Thanks for your kind words, guys.

...oops :oops:

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 11:19 PM
Nice shots, but I agree with what has been said about the risks to your eyes of shooting into the sun. I wouldn't do it too often.

It really wasn't that bad. The sun's intensity is very low at that time of day. It's the last 5 minutes of light.

Alex T
2006-03-27, 11:38 PM
You know, I told phil via AIM that the pics looks soo good i walked away and swore i was seeing spots myself. Had to blink my eyes a couple of times haha..

Excellent shots, they look amazing!

Alex

mirrodie
2006-03-28, 10:38 AM
according to HIPPA regualtions, I cant say much

but agreeing with Monty, what are are effectively doing its conentration the rays of light such that they come concentrated onto almost single point focus. Think of it as you are using the camera and turning into a laser.

MarkLawrence
2006-03-28, 12:04 PM
I agree with Alex - I looked at them as well and had to blink for a couple of seconds afterwards, but. those are really great shots Phil!

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-28, 08:29 PM
according to HIPPA regualtions, I cant say much

but agreeing with Monty, what are are effectively doing its conentration the rays of light such that they come concentrated onto almost single point focus. Think of it as you are using the camera and turning into a laser.

You know, I'm having a tough time reading your post with all these green spots I see everywhere.

Iberia A340-600
2006-03-28, 09:16 PM
Well Phil, I would have to say that those four sunset shots that you posted above have to be some of the best photos I have ever seen in my 14 years of living!

I find the shots of the Air Tran 717 and the United Airlines 757-200 absolutley stunning!