PDA

View Full Version : An airliners.net photographer, 1000 photos.......

Midnight Mike
2006-03-27, 12:40 AM
I was reading this on another website, sheesh, 1000 photos, wow!

my aviation photography milestone
As some of you guys on here know I upload photos to airliners.net. Well, I recently hit a little milestone over there that I thought was pretty neat. I got my 1000th photo on the uploaded over there. Here are the photo stats that they sent me:

"You currently have 1000 photos in our database. The large version of all your photos have been viewed a total of 1305107 distinct times. On average, a photo of yours has been viewed 1305 times."

It is hard for me to fathom that over 1.3 million people have taken the time to look at some of my snapshots from the past few years.

I started out finding that site in 2001 after looking for a photo of an airliner so that I could use it in a project I was doing in college. Well, I couldn't get any of the photogs to respond allowing me to use their photos so I went out to the airport and decided to try and make my own airplane photos. After a while I discovered it was pretty difficult to get a good picture of an airplane and me having no photography experience didn't help either. After a bunch of trial and error I got a few that were good enough but then it became this challenge to get one accepted at airliners.net. After a while I got a few accepted and then kinda forgot about it for a while till I got a email from the FAA paying me for usage of one of my photos. Getting paid to take pictures of airplanes was fun so I went back at it and every now and then another offer would come through. Kinda makes it fun to break even on camera equipment.

Anyway, I also noticed looking through some of my photos that it details nearly all of my experience in aviation. Photos from outside the airport wanting to get into the industry and then photos working on the ramp at DIA, photos from the tower at DIA... Then I started my own flight training and got photos from my private pilot summer, cross countries in Florida, then getting the rest of my ratings in Dallas and flying across the country with ATP. Since then I have put photos up from CFIing here in Colorado. I got a nice photo of my first student that I soloed, and students after that. Photos from various places around the country, Concorde cockpits to the first G1000 172 in the world.

I always thought those photographers that just took photos of airplanes and wrote down registrations and stuff were weird so I tried to show some different things that pilots would be more into and push the limits of what they allow at that site. Many times it turned into being a waste of time but sometimes they accept interesting stuff like covering up the panel with sticky notes, and long shutter speeds at night that don't really even show an airplane.

I guess in all the coolest thing that has come from my photos on there is all the different people that I have met and got in touch with through them viewing my photos. Bizjet owners, airline execs, FAA, airplane repo companies, a whole bunch of airline training departments, and just random folks with great comments.

All that being said, I wish I had more flight time than photos on a.net!

Here is #1000 http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1019973/L/

http://www.jetcareers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25497

NIKV69
2006-03-27, 09:10 AM
Sure is! I love that gate pic too. Very nice! I don't pay that much attention to Frontier and never saw the Racoon yet.

LGA777
2006-03-27, 09:18 AM
Allthough we have never met I have corresponded with Tim several times via e-mail, very nice guy and a "Great" Photographer ! And a great story, thanks for posting Mike !

Cheers

LGA777

Alex T
2006-03-27, 03:24 PM
Wow Tim is a great photographer I have enjoyed his shots myself. Excellent 1,000th photo.

Alex