PDA

View Full Version : Kicked out of Teterboro area.

protonv5
2006-03-20, 10:01 AM
Hey guys. I'm really depressed. I was at Teterboro yesterday and was told to leave by a local city cop. I was in the parking lot across the street at the end of the runway. In recent days this has become my favorite spot. Until yesterday. I was sitting in my car using my binoculars as I enjoy doing as I really don't have a good enough camera as you all do to take any noteworthy shots. I'm there about 20 minutes and I hadn't used my binoculars to view any planes in at least 10 minutes. A cop pulls into the lot I'm in and tells me to come over to his car. I go over and he says I can't be here. He's actually kind of giddy fellow and I ask him whynot. He says, "Well, since 9/11 you know things are different." So I say, "They are? How so? Has it become illegal to look at airplanes? "He says, Well, sitting here watching planes with binoculars? No it's not illegal, but you're on private property." So I'm like he didn't even see me using binoculars. Someone had to have called him, I'm thinking. So anyway I say, "Well, where do I go then so that I'm not on private property?" He happily states, "Nowhere" As he chuckles. "It's all private property around here." So I told him I have like 2 hobbies. This is one. Which basically I'm not allowed to have as a hobby anymore. So living in America I can only do 50% of what I like which means what the hell am I doing here anymore?
I'm really pissed off about this. Anyway, I'm sure the wonderful people in the control tower called on me as they have clear view of me as I do of them with binoculars. Has anyone any advice on this as to where to go around Teterboro that I can say I'm on public property so they will leave me alone?
Pete.

T-Bird76
2006-03-20, 10:26 AM
While some of the stuff he said was complete BS, oh I would have asked for his badge number so you could have put a complaint in against him, he does have one point that we all need to be aware of, private property. Regardless of our freedoms we can be asked to leave private property. I might look into what area near the airport is public property, there you can take as many pictures as you wish and not be asked to leave, and if you are remind the nice officer that violating your constitutional rights is also illegal.

protonv5
2006-03-20, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to think what would be public property and the only thing I can come up with is the sidewalk that borders the airport or the bus stop right at the edge of the property. Would they be able to kick me off if I were at the busstop or sidewalk? Also, if I did that I'd have to park some ways away, possibly again on private property and walk over there. I would'nt mind the walk I just don't want to get booted again. What do you think?

T-Bird76
2006-03-20, 02:58 PM
Technically you can't be kicked off public property unless your doing something illegal but these cops can trump something up like loitering. Most judges will laugh and dismiss it but its the hassle that gets to you. I'd locate a public location give it a try and if you get bothered explain professionally what you do and if they give you a hard time ask for the Officers badge number and name and go talk to his commander like Tom Turner did, you might be able to square it away.

Midnight Mike
2006-03-20, 03:42 PM
Hey guys. I'm really depressed. I was at Teterboro yesterday and was told to leave by a local city cop. I was in the parking lot across the street at the end of the runway. In recent days this has become my favorite spot. Until yesterday. I was sitting in my car using my binoculars as I enjoy doing as I really don't have a good enough camera as you all do to take any noteworthy shots. I'm there about 20 minutes and I hadn't used my binoculars to view any planes in at least 10 minutes. A cop pulls into the lot I'm in and tells me to come over to his car. I go over and he says I can't be here. He's actually kind of giddy fellow and I ask him whynot. He says, "Well, since 9/11 you know things are different." So I say, "They are? How so? Has it become illegal to look at airplanes? "He says, Well, sitting here watching planes with binoculars? No it's not illegal, but you're on private property." So I'm like he didn't even see me using binoculars. Someone had to have called him, I'm thinking. So anyway I say, "Well, where do I go then so that I'm not on private property?" He happily states, "Nowhere" As he chuckles. "It's all private property around here." So I told him I have like 2 hobbies. This is one. Which basically I'm not allowed to have as a hobby anymore. So living in America I can only do 50% of what I like which means what the hell am I doing here anymore?
I'm really pissed off about this. Anyway, I'm sure the wonderful people in the control tower called on me as they have clear view of me as I do of them with binoculars. Has anyone any advice on this as to where to go around Teterboro that I can say I'm on public property so they will leave me alone?
Pete.

If this truly your hobby, contact the airport PR person & explain to them who you are & what you are doing, be sure to let them know that you support the airport. When speaking with the airport PR person get their name, ask the airport PR person to get you in contact with the Tower, let them know what you are doing.

Call the local FAA, ask them is there any FAA legalities that you need to know about, get the name of the FAA person.

Another suggestion, stop by the Police Station, bring your photos with you & let them know what you are doing, let them know, that you contacted the FAA & spoke with Mr ???? & there is no FAA legality. Butter the Police up by letting them know that you will report any suspicous activity to the them.

As for the cop that you spoke with, you don't know if somebody reported you or what he saw, either way, if this is your favorite spot, then start speaking with people.

Also, when you start making the phone calls, & if somebody says, "Hell no" then you know where the problem.

Remember, there are two ways to fight, head on, will get you nowhere, be the nice guy, & normally you get things done.

The Japanese saying have a saying, "Sometimes, you have to know when to crack the whip & when to give a lollipop."

T-Bird76
2006-03-20, 04:15 PM
The Japanese saying have a saying, "Sometimes, you have to know when to crack the whip & when to give a lollipop."

mmmm whips and lollipops Mike??????? Sounds like you and your wife have some interesting nights...... :lol:

Midnight Mike
2006-03-20, 04:32 PM
[quote]The Japanese saying have a saying, "Sometimes, you have to know when to crack the whip & when to give a lollipop."

mmmm whips and lollipops Mike??????? Sounds like you and your wife have some interesting nights...... :lol:[/quote:4ff10]

Oh hell, I would have to pay for a fantasy like that. :shock:

lijk604
2006-03-26, 04:00 PM
Teterboro is tough....we conduct business flights into and out of the airport and have a rep meet the clients when they depart. He usually waits around for the trip to go airbirne before driving back to home base. HE, who is on a first name basis with everyone at TEB, has been asked to leave for being on public property (usually waiting in the parking lot across the street which is where he views the departures from).
So, when it comes to public property, there is not much you can do. Here is a guy who has a legitamite reason to be at the airport and he has been asked kindly by the authorities to move on. Obviously he is not going to start an argument and possibly hurt our business, but he has said no cop has ever been so rude to him that he would want to start something. It's just a crappy situation we are faced with.

John
Patchogue, NY

Tom_Turner
2006-03-26, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear your troubles at TEB Pete.

I know how you feel when you are forced to move, and there's really no place to go.

As for the cop in this case though, although certainly not helpful, he really isn't doing anything wrong. I am pretty sure I have stopped at the parking lot you mention, and never stayed more than a few minutes; never taken a shot there either. I've always felt that spot was ripe for a hassle. Its a private lot and someone will inevitably call you in.

There is a public park however nearby. I don't know the name of the streets but, when exiting the perimeter road (the one that leads to the museum), cross 17 and keep going a ways and you'll see the park on your right. Its a pain shooting there of course. Although I have not been bothered there, there is considerable pedestrian traffic in the park, auto traffic on the street and too there is a limited window to shoot the small jets before they're behind power lines etc..and they're fast. It's unfortunate but you'll need a longer lens there as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is there are a few airport ops folks at TEB that are not anti-spotter, but unfortunately, even pre-911, as a business jet airport, there is a premium on the privacy of the clientele. Therefore, even if you make the contacts, and score friendly access of a sort, you'll still be expected to put your camera away. Its just a tough situation there.

There's usually some type of open house in the late summer. You can probably bring your camera to that, but someone will still be hawking you to see if you try to shoot the regular traffic, I'm sure.

Tom

Laxgoaly
2006-04-21, 12:38 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post on here... on the night of my recent purchase of a Nikon D50 SLR... im so psyched to go down to KTEB tomorrow before work ( I work at TEB and have access to the AOA and ramp areas)... as for areas of interest for spotters...

If they are landing RW 06, there is a park off of Moonachie Rd. right before the catering place, one block in and its a PUBLIC park... directly in the approach path, you will have overhead fly by's at roughly 200ft according to the approach cards...

if they are landing RW 19 you can park across RT46 in the High School parking lot which is public property, and walk to the corner of Industrial Ave. and Rt 46... you will be directly lined up with the centerline, and as it is a bus stop you are on public property, secondly i have seen numerous people with young kids standing there watching the a/c land...

If they are landing RW 01, there is a public baseball/soccer field on Redneck Rd. which has a PUBLIC walking path which leads right past the blast fence and ILS localizer which is an AMAZING vantage point for both T/O's and Landings...

Tomorrow when I see the guys from KTEB operations, I will ask them about a photo pass or anything of that type... i'll keep you all posted... this is my "home" airport and i want to keep it free for spotters!

Mateo
2006-04-21, 08:47 PM
The number of people who have been chased from the Bergen Tech (the public high school) parking lot is astounding...

Laxgoaly
2006-04-21, 11:32 PM
Today I talked to Airport OPS, and got special permission ( due to me having a valid airport ID, and background check) to photograph on property :lol: I am soooo happy... I took about 50 photos today alone... is there a place on this site i could post them?

markg
2006-04-28, 04:28 PM
TEB spotting is tough.

The best place I have found is to park alongside the little brick building in the parking lot of the Strawberry warehouse, where you are out of view of the oncoming traffic.

Also on a weekend, go right round the other side of the airfield into Moonachie. Park in the parking lot of the ball field and walk back towards the traffic light.

You may get hassled but this is a public sidewalk on a public road and you shouldn't be asked to leave!

Don't hang out with a camera there though, that's guaranteed to get you moved on!

2006-05-10, 12:27 PM
I have lived in the Teterboro area for over 20 years and have enjoyed watching aircraft landing and departing Teterboro. My current fascination with aircraft is in part due to the countless of hours that I spent with my dad watching aircraft when I was small. A few years ago the primary viewing area on Fred Wehran Rd. by Rt 46 was removed to make way for hangar and runway expansions.

Today the area is blocked off and berms have been set up that block any further viewing from the area . It is a pity that airport officials did not consider hobbyists during the planning stage for the new hangar additions. Now thanks to short cited officials I am finding it hard to bestow my passion to my own children.

I wonder if maybe a petition can be made for the creation of a legal observation area near or around the perimeter of the airport. :idea: This would help bolster the bad publicity the airport has been enduring via noise regulations and safety issues. Aircraft aficionados can be some of the best proponents for an airport.