PDA

View Full Version : Port Authority Head: Time for a Fourth Airport

Matt Molnar
2006-03-17, 12:34 AM
New York Magazine did a brief interview with Port Authority head Anthony Coscia. They talked about Ground Zero and PATH mostly, but he had an interesting, albeit short, answer to one question.

Outside of ground zero, what should the PA do next?
It’s time to think about a fourth major airport.

T-Bird76
2006-03-17, 12:42 AM
How many times has this been said before??? The biggest question is where to put it??? Why build a new airport when JFK is still the most under utilzed airport out of the three? I doubt in our life time we will see another NYC airport.

tsnamm
2006-04-07, 02:30 PM
absolutely...any new airport in NYC would have to be built 100 miles away from the city...be completely out of the way, and would cost a fortune...I sincerely doubt it...

Matt Molnar
2006-04-07, 04:27 PM
He could be thinking about upgrading one of the existing outer airports, like HPN, SWF or ISP.

Idlewild
2006-04-22, 11:49 AM
He could be thinking about upgrading one of the existing outer airports, like HPN, SWF or ISP.

Does the PA have dominion on those airports? Then again we could just fill all of Jamaica Bay with concrete. Better yet, take over Staten Island.

Laxgoaly
2006-04-22, 11:57 AM
Personally, eventhough it is not under port authority jurisdiction, if they were to utilize KMMU more, it would be a wonderful relief airport for KTEB... during the holiday months, and during the United Nations general assembly times, our ramp at KTEB is overloaded with Gulfstreams, Globals, DC-9's, and B737-200's... if MMU was able to take some of the smaller citation, beachjets, and lears, it would free up valuable space in both the pattern and on the ramps... but thats just my 0.02 cents!

Tower Air
2006-05-07, 04:33 PM
There was a story about it on ny1 and it said swf was a front runner in this.

Iberia A340-600
2006-05-07, 04:50 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for SWF since I live 30 minutes away and I live right under the approach pattern.