View Full Version : How did you hear?

Mellyrose
2006-03-11, 07:24 PM
About NYCAviation.com?

I'm just curious about how new and old members heard about the site. :?:

Alex T
2006-03-11, 07:27 PM
I am deaf I cannot hear ;)

But Tom and Phil both told me about it. I met Tom first through jetphotos.net. Then I knew who Phil was through airliners.net but never spoke to him. Then when I was supossed to fly to LAX to meet up with Tom and Phil I started spekaing to Phil more about it and thats when he brought up NYC to me .

Alex

lijk604
2006-03-11, 08:19 PM
Gese, I go back to the Airola (sp?) days, when Phil was just sending out a newsletter every now & then. Was that a school project Phil? I stayed connected until this site was born. I never came out until late last year, as up until that point all I had was a point & shoot. Now that I have the DSLR, it makes the "lens envy" not so bad.

Jonesbeach
2006-03-11, 08:33 PM
Somebody mentioned it on JFKTower.com in June 05 and I've been hooked ever since.

cancidas
2006-03-11, 08:55 PM
i go back to the aireloa aviation email newsletters... that was some fun stuff....

GrummanFan
2006-03-11, 09:32 PM
Phil sent me an email asking if I would like to join the forums, because of my work on creating the unofficial Jones Beach Air Show site. He said something about me being an asset to the airplane community or some crap like that, and I might be able to contribute. I still have no idea what he was taking about. But whatever, I enjoy this place nonetheless.

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-11, 10:39 PM
haha. Aireola Aviation was a weekly newsletter. It started with an email to about 8 local guys just giving them an update on aircraft visitors. I ended up emailing the locals regularly, and then people wanted to be added to the list of recipients. Then I took my ****ty HTML skills and hosted it on Geocities, and then our membership soared internationally and into the triple digits very fast. Then Geocities' bandwidth limit caught up and the whole thing collapsed. That's really how this site was born.

N790SW
2006-03-11, 11:32 PM
from Phil himself =)

Midnight Mike
2006-03-12, 12:03 AM
About NYCAviation.com?

I'm just curious about how new and old members heard about the site. :?:

Mirrodie told me about the newsletter & then the JFK Tower.com website, & then finally this site.

RDU-JFK
2006-03-17, 10:31 AM
I was on the Aireola Aviation e-mail list...it was pretty sweet

T-Bird76
2006-03-17, 11:22 AM
It was a wild night of passion if I remember correct the first time I heard about this silly little site, ahahaha :lol:

Mellyrose
2006-03-17, 11:33 AM
Dammit. As soon as I saw that you replied to this topic, I was ready to retaliate your answer with a remark like that. You beat me to it!!!!

Futterman
2006-03-17, 11:38 AM
It was a wild night of passion if I remember correct the first time I heard about this silly little site, ahahaha :lol:

Wait, isn't that how "Areola" Aviation was born? :)

Mr Smith
2006-03-17, 06:53 PM

Wait, isn't that how Areola Aviation was born? :)

wasn't that how you were born too? :lol: think i heard about it from Phil.

USAF Pilot 07
2006-03-20, 09:52 PM
Well it all goes back to the Straphanger Days where Phil and I were mods and pretty much ran those boards cause we're super sick like that.... Then you know Phil found out I was into aviation and we started talking about planes and stuff, and I showed him a.net, and then he decided to start his own newsletter, then website, so yea I pretty much credit any success Phil has with NYCAviation.com or any sort of aviation project in the future to myself, and therefore claim all royalties that come in from them, but since i'm a nice guy ill give phil a percentage of whatever i dont use....

Hyder
2006-03-21, 01:48 AM
Phil was all like "join this forum" and "look at my muscular features"

and i was all "Why Philip Derner Suffix Junior, i shall join your forum and admire your muscular features".

Mellyrose
2006-03-21, 08:12 AM
Phil was all like "join this forum" and "look at my muscular features"

and i was all "Why Philip Derner Suffix Junior, i shall join your forum and admire your muscular features".

That's the best reply yet....bar none. :lol:

MarkLawrence
2006-03-21, 09:26 AM
I was on the Aireola Aviation e-mail list as well.

NIKV69
2006-03-21, 03:01 PM
It was a wild night of passion if I remember correct the first time I heard about this silly little site

very true, who was the man and who was the woman that night Tommy? lol

As for me the Administrator, Phil Derner did some good leg work and told me about his site. I joined.

Ari707
2006-03-21, 05:43 PM
found it on a web search

Mellyrose
2006-03-21, 05:48 PM
found it on a web search

Well, that's good to know. :)

JRadier
2006-03-21, 08:54 PM
Asked on a.net for some advise about JFK/LGA for last summer, was kicked to this forum. Had a very nice meet with (but not limited to them,just can't remember the other guys name..) Brian and Eric. Kinda kept visiting afterwards, don't know why but I just like the atmosphere around here. Wish we had such a community at AMS.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I never posted any of my pics from that day last summer. Will do that shortly ;).

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-21, 09:18 PM
Asked on a.net for some advise about JFK/LGA for last summer, was kicked to this forum. Had a very nice meet with (but not limited to them,just can't remember the other guys name..) Brian and Eric. Kinda kept visiting afterwards, don't know why but I just like the atmosphere around here. Wish we had such a community at AMS.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I never posted any of my pics from that day last summer. Will do that shortly ;).

Definitely post them!!