PDA

View Full Version : Radar Probs @ NYC Airports

N790SW
2006-03-07, 05:02 PM
Hey guys

i saw on ch4 something about radar probs at the NYC area airports- any news of diversions or if ISP will get some JFK- LGA traffic

T-Bird76
2006-03-07, 05:23 PM
Yes NY Tracon radar went down, there's no reason ISP would get JFK or LGA diversions at this time. Most are holding on the ground or circling.

Matt Molnar
2006-03-07, 05:35 PM
Radar Failure Impacts Local Airports

POSTED: 3:11 pm EST March 7, 2006
UPDATED: 4:16 pm EST March 7, 2006

NEW YORK -- The main radar system, which controls all three New York metro airports, failed Tuesday afternoon, NewsChannel 4 has learned.

A backup system is up and running. However, there are delays at all three major airports (LaGuardia, JFK and Newark) and smaller airports in the New York metro area.

The problem is reportedly with the the main computer system at the New York center in Ronkonkoma.

The radar system can see the aircraft as a blip on the screen, but is not getting the identifying information tag attached to each flight. As a result, controllers at New York center are having to manually notify other centers and control towers about each plane.

The Federal Aviation Administration has increased separation between aircraft to fifteen miles.

There are up to one-hour delays at the major airports.

Matt Molnar
2006-03-07, 05:37 PM
From the FAA:

Due to EQUIPMENT/ZNY COMPUTER FAILURE, departure traffic destined to Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 5:00 pm EST.

Due to EQUIPMENT/COMPUTER FAILURE, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 4:59 pm EST.

LGA777
2006-03-07, 05:56 PM
I't's near gridlock at LGA, outbound taxi times are close to two hours, from pushback to wheels up, some inbounds taking an hour to get to the gate, I have a birds eye view, fun day, departing 4, landing 31 !

Regards

LGA777

cancidas
2006-03-08, 09:23 AM
so glad i wasn't at work...