PDA

View Full Version : Less Domestic DL 767s?

PhilDernerJr
2006-02-21, 09:38 PM
I was reading today that Delta is reconfiguring their 767-400s for more international flights, as well as the soon-to-be former Song 757s. They'll be keeping Song's leather seats and adding a first class cabin and spreading PTVs throughout their fleet.

Exciting to hear about airlines using 757s across the pond.

jakbar
2006-02-21, 11:13 PM

Not until you have to fly on one across the pond. What an awful thought...being cooped up in a narrowbody 757 for all those hours.

T-Bird76
2006-02-21, 11:38 PM

Not until you have to fly on one across the pond. What an awful thought...being cooped up in a narrowbody 757 for all those hours.

Yeah its not that much fun. When I went to Alaska this summer our flying time was 7.5 hours from DFW to ANC, if that plane was full I probably would have killed myself. To many people standing in the aisle made it a pain to move around. Then there was this one woman who was doing Jazzasize or something, god did I want to knock her down.

The fact is however the 757s are extremely efficient aircraft and very versatile. They are pretty much cash cows on the Atlantic runs. One thing that surprises me is why Boeing stopped production. It seems that after production stopped the 757s became almost the god send of the airlines on the international scene. I highly doubt she'd be brought back but certainly interesting to research.

Garri767
2006-02-21, 11:55 PM
[quote="Phil D.":a4eb8]Exciting to hear about airlines using 757s across the pond.

Yeah its not that much fun. When I went to Alaska this summer our flying time was 7.5 hours from DFW to ANC, if that plane was full I probably would have killed myself. To many people standing in the aisle made it a pain to move around. Then there was this one woman who was doing Jazzasize or something, god did I want to knock her down.

The fact is however the 757s are extremely efficient aircraft and very versatile. They are pretty much cash cows on the Atlantic runs. One thing that surprises me is why Boeing stopped production. It seems that after production stopped the 757s became almost the god send of the airlines on the international scene. I highly doubt she'd be brought back but certainly interesting to research.[/quote:a4eb8]

i was about to post same thing about DFW-MCO flight.....i wanted to kill myself, packed full , and the seats in front of me, next to me , and behind me were all people speaking spanish!!! lol

jakbar
2006-02-22, 01:21 AM
"Efficient" and "versatile" don't mean a whole lot to the customers who are stuck on a narrowbody aircraft for 8 hours. I'd certainly pay more to fly on an airline that has widebody longhaul service to where I want to go. I simply cannot fathom being on a narrowbody flight for that long. SFO-LIH on a 757 was 6 hours, and that was downright awful.

T-Bird76
2006-02-22, 09:52 AM
"Efficient" and "versatile" don't mean a whole lot to the customers

However Efficient and versatile mean a lot to the airlines who are struggling to earn a profit. I agree that the 757 isn't the most comfortable plane for long haul but the economics make sense for the airlines. Remember to how many passengers even know what kind of plane they are traveling on even when there sitting in their seat. From our perspective we know what plane we are on and can try to avoid booking a narrowbody but the average consumer wouldn't know the difference between a 757 or a 737.

However sort of on an off topic a bit with the recent flood of domestic airlines expanding their international routes how long will it be until competition begins eating away at those margins? The 757 is great but when four or five airlines start beating themselves silly for market share to wherever will those 757s still bring home the bacon?

jakbar
2006-02-22, 10:48 AM
From our perspective we know what plane we are on and can try to avoid booking a narrowbody but the average consumer wouldn't know the difference between a 757 or a 737.

I think that if a customer flies on a 757 to Europe, there's a chance that he or she may seek to find a different carrier the next time simply because he or she knows that some airlines fly those "big planes" across the ocean. I think even the average person can appreciate the difference in size between a widebody and a narrowbody on a flight like that.

T-Bird76
2006-02-22, 11:28 AM
From our perspective we know what plane we are on and can try to avoid booking a narrowbody but the average consumer wouldn't know the difference between a 757 or a 737.

I think that if a customer flies on a 757 to Europe, there's a chance that he or she may seek to find a different carrier the next time simply because he or she knows that some airlines fly those "big planes" across the ocean. I think even the average person can appreciate the difference in size between a widebody and a narrowbody on a flight like that.

I agree that the average person certainly can appreciate a widebody over a narrow body but again the economics of how profitable a route is comes into play. Sadly the airlines over that past few years have cut back on coach to really an extreme. In particular American has cut back so much that their coach product offers you less then Southwest on the domestic scene.

Lets also look at what aircraft are available for wide body long haul use. There's not that many choices, 767-200s are being retired, most of them expect for CO's birds are 20 plus years old and cost a nice sum to operate. The 767-300 really is just to big for places like Berlin, Dublin, and New Castle just as examples of new markets. Those cities just don't generate the passenger traffic to warrant a 300. The A330 is only used by US and they don't have enough to operate to all their Euro destinations. The 777 and 747 simply are to big again. So that leaves only the 757 to fill the role. So what we really have here is a missing link.

What's needed is a widebody that seats between 200 and 250 people and is equally as efficient as the 757 and offers passengers the comfort they expect on long haul routes. Enter the 787-8, not as large as the 763 or 772 but more efficient then the 757 and its a widebody. So right now we have to suffer through this gap in available efficient aircraft until the 787 rolls out.

Again going off topic a bit I'm more excited about the 787 then the A380. The 380 is big and impressive but the 787 will revolutionize air travel just as the DC-3, 707, and 747 did. The economics, technology, and passenger experience the 787 promises to bring is nothing like what we've seen thus far. This aircraft is truly one of the most impressive engineering feats Boeing has ever undertaken. They are positioning themselves for the future of air travel and its my belief the 787 will put Boeing on top for good.

JRadier
2006-02-22, 02:11 PM
just to add, NW has a sizable A330 operation as well ;)

i_mizrahi
2006-02-25, 08:25 AM
Speaking of 757, I recently saw a picture taken in Osaka airport in Japan, where a NWA 757 was taxiing. Can it be that a 757 is being operated on a Trans-Pacific route?

Izhar

LGA777
2006-02-25, 09:29 AM
NWA did base a few 757's at NRT for interasian service such as NRT-MNL, NRT-PEK service among others but now they are back to all wide-body in Asia I believe !

Cheers

LGA777

i_mizrahi
2006-02-25, 02:06 PM
NWA did base a few 757's at NRT for interasian service such as NRT-MNL, NRT-PEK service among others but now they are back to all wide-body in Asia I believe !

I find it interesting that NWA haven't been operating interasian routes by codesharing with local carriers. After all, NWA is part of SkyTeam.

Garri767
2006-02-26, 02:35 PM

I find it interesting that NWA haven't been operating interasian routes by codesharing with local carriers. After all, NWA is part of SkyTeam.
I think they should work out their problems in the USA before starting intercontinental problems :lol:

Ari707
2006-02-26, 04:35 PM
like Pan Am had the europe based 727's

2006-02-27, 12:45 AM
I once flew on DL 764 MIA-ATL ... Will miss not doing that again.

FlyingColors
2006-03-27, 06:16 PM
The 757 was dreamed up with Eastern to replace the 727 fleet.

She is a fine craft for flights from here to MIA.

But is a flying $hitbox for over water flights, especially Continental, yuck!

T-Bird76
2006-03-27, 06:20 PM
Hey did anyone realize there's going to be no more DAL 767s to LGA this summer?? 75s are replacing the 76s, sort of sad no more widebody service to LGA

PhilDernerJr
2006-03-27, 06:21 PM
It is very sad. Anyone know an end date?

Ari707
2006-03-27, 06:23 PM
I remember seeing DC10's and L1011 flying out of LGA before B767s its sad no more wide bodies it seems it is all RJ's

FlyingColors
2006-03-27, 06:30 PM
I remember seeing DC10's and L1011 flying out of LGA before B767s its sad no more wide bodies it seems it is all RJ's

And in the wake of the RJs... here comes the A380!
Crazy market!

USAF Pilot 07
2006-03-27, 08:04 PM

Ugh, yea I hear you. I was on a ANC-DEN redeye this summer (I think it was like a 5 hour flight) on an Alaska 737, which was almost 100% full, and I was about to kill myself after that flight.

GimmeMyWingZ
2006-03-28, 07:16 PM
I was reading today that Delta is reconfiguring their 767-400s for more international flights, as well as the soon-to-be former Song 757s. They'll be keeping Song's leather seats and adding a first class cabin and spreading PTVs throughout their fleet.

You are right about 764s being used across the atlantic. Specifically JFK-Shannon/Dublin will have that equipment. For some stupid reason, for now, it will be all Coach class.
However you must have heard wrong, well partyl wrong. All 757s owned by Delta will be two class, getting rid of Song but keeping Song style entertainment with tvs on every 757 in its fleet by next year. They are already re-configuring many 757s. Flights to Mexico and D.R which used to be 757s from JFK are temporarily 738s. They will not use 757s across the Atlantic.