PDA

View Full Version : What Approach am I Under?

Max10803
2006-02-04, 06:09 PM
Hey y'all,

So here's the thing. For a good chunk of my life, I have lived in Southern Westchester near the LI Sound. I live almost directly under an approach coming down into LaGuardia. I've always wondered what runway they are heading too and when they use this approach and why. Do only planes from a certain area of the US come down through here?

If you need me to specify anything, just ask.

Thanks a lot

cancidas
2006-02-04, 06:37 PM
it's either the LDA to 22 or ILS to 22. there are two approaches for that runway. the ILS is straight in off the extended centerline of that runway while the LDA approach is flown up the hudson with two right turns, one over the hudson near the northern edge of the bx and yonkers with the second out over westchester county/li sound border. if you point it out on a map i'll be able to tell you more.

SengaB
2006-02-04, 11:38 PM
Sounds like 22 as Matt ahd suggested. I live in Tuckahoe, also southern Westecher (11 NM NE out fom LGA). For me I get them them at 2000ft to 2500ft transitioning from base ot final in a nice bank over me. Its hit or miss for me because they "stack" the planes to final and some turn before me and a few turn after. I see them fly to me from the west and then bank to intercept the Runway 22 ILS.

Senga

Max10803
2006-02-05, 12:30 AM
Thanks a lot guys, that sounds right!

See, I always drive over the Whitestone and see the planes coming down into the airport and I always assumed that this was the same approach that also brought them by my house. Senga, if youre around Tuckahoe, then were probably in the same situation, 22 ILS as you say. As I speak, I can see NWA 542 coming in from DTW. Awesome.

SengaB
2006-02-06, 12:08 PM
Yes, I am sure we are seeing the same planes. Since you are farther south you are probably seeing them on final and thier path is pretty consistent for you.

Senga