PDA

View Full Version : New Tower at LGA?

jfklganyc
2006-01-12, 12:28 PM
I have heard a lot of rumors on this over the past several years, but when is LGA getting its new tower?

My roommate jumpseated next to a LGA Tower Controller last week who said that the new tower was coming and its location would be next to the CTB parking garage.

Can anyone confirm this? How tall will it be? Will it be a cookie-cutter tower like EWR or a more unique tower like JFK? Finally, will the old tower be demolished??

thanks for the info

cancidas
2006-01-12, 05:10 PM
i don't think there is any serious plan in the works to replace the LGA tower permanently. it is afterall a historical landmark ( i think that's the term.) i do know that they want to renovate it but that would require a temporary tower to be put up somewhere. there isn't much room to put a tower near the CTB parkign garage, at least nowhere that woudl provide as good a view of the airport as the current tower.

i'll place a call to a freind of mine that works there currently, will report once i know more.

STT757
2006-01-15, 02:24 AM
There was news about this recently (within the last year), the FAA had planned to build a new LGA tower but Budget constraints had the Administration remove those funds which ticked a few people off including the Port Authority.

A Google News search should come up with the related articles.

Matt Molnar
2006-01-15, 06:18 PM
What would they be able to do with a new tower that they cannot do with the current tower?

Nycfly75
2006-01-18, 03:40 PM
..but that would require a temporary tower to be put up somewhere. there isn't much room to put a tower near the CTB parkign garage, at least nowhere that woudl provide as good a view of the airport as the current tower.

Phil's House :twisted: