PDA

View Full Version : NWA Mechanics Vote to be laid off

T-Bird76
2005-12-13, 11:01 AM
In what is a total defeat for the striking mechanics at Northwest they will vote on an agreement with Northwest to be laid off. The workers went on strike rather then taking pay cuts in the hopes NW would have capitulated to their demands. The strike didn't affect NW like the mechanics had hopped and now successfully operating with replacement workers the only hope of an income for the striking mechanics is to agree to be laid off so they can collect unemployment.

In my opinion this is the end of union power for the airlines. This was a total victory for NW, they saved more money then they could ever wanted with the workers walking off the job. Not being in a union its hard for me to say but I think if my union went on strike I'd cross the lines rather then being laid off.

lijk604
2005-12-13, 11:14 AM
NWA is not represented by the IAM, they are represented by AMFA. (Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association) They made the switch years ago. UAL mechanics also made that fateful mistake right around bankruptcy time. AMFA is all about getting money and not giving in. They would rather be laid off than show that they agreed to give back money. Too bad.

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-13, 05:47 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised that this "worked out" for Northwest, even though they are still doing ****ty.

A shame for all those in that union.

Was November any better for NW in terms of revenue, Tommy?

Ari707
2005-12-13, 06:29 PM
At least Delta pilots agreed and aren't going on strike and putting delta out of business

Nycfly75
2005-12-13, 11:27 PM
DL and NW can merge now :wink:

T-Bird76
2005-12-14, 12:13 AM
NW posted a 475 million dollar loss for its first six weeks in Chap 11. A good majority of the loss was from reorganization expenses which meant they still lost over 200 million. NW hasn't even made a hint at when it thinks it will emerge from Chap 11.

cancidas
2005-12-14, 12:16 AM
it may have worked out for NW but i still see thier airplanes waiting to be parked at the gate for some time now. usually it wont take too long but there was one time when i had to sit there for about 20 minutes to get to the post.

Midnight Mike
2005-12-14, 12:18 AM
At least Delta pilots agreed and aren't going on strike and putting delta out of business

Rumor has it that the Delta pilots are not very happy, the drama at Delta could continue....