PDA

View Full Version : Do you think EWR should be counted as a NYC airport?

IslipWN
2005-12-10, 08:21 PM
I don't. Its in New Jersey, not New York.

And I started this in regards to the NYC aviation awards thread. Someone said that WN doesnt count as a NYC airline, they serve ISP which is on long Island- not NYC. EWR isn't in NYC, so why should it count?

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-10, 09:20 PM
I never counted EWR as an NYC airport, but I include it because the Port Authority owns that one a well, and New Jersey might as well be a commonwealth of New York, since they just leach off of us anyway.

RDU-JFK
2005-12-10, 09:31 PM
Hell no...Newark is New Jersey. JFK and LGA are in NYC proper-Queens. its kind of like people considering Luton a London airport.

Plus we all know JFK is a million times cooler than EWR :wink:

Ari707
2005-12-10, 09:34 PM
according to Mayor Laguardia it isn't , the story is he landed there and put wouldn't get off the plane since his ticket said New York, and he was in NJ, he made them fly the plane to what was then the only airport in NYC, Floyd Bennett field. and that is why the airport is named after him.

SengaB
2005-12-10, 09:56 PM
Its not NYC airport but it is an NYC area airport and should be consider such.
Senga

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-10, 10:01 PM
To add, EWR is like two miles from NYC. ISP is 50.

T-Bird76
2005-12-10, 10:22 PM
EWR is a New York City Airport plain and simple. It is listed on departure boards, Sabe and Worldspan reservation systems as New York/Newark. Newark is a gateway to NYC just like JFK and LGA. ISP is a gateway to Eastern Long Island, which is a totally different market.

IslipWN
2005-12-10, 11:19 PM
When did anyone say that ISP was a NYC airport?

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-10, 11:22 PM
When did anyone say that ISP was a NYC airport?

People implied it in the other thread.

FlyingColors
2005-12-11, 12:34 AM
The Singapore A340-500 flight operates out of EWR, yet its advertised as NYC service.

Mike

Tom_Turner
2005-12-11, 03:06 AM
The local airports are run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. There is no doubt the EWR is on the New Jersey side, but it is not an issue here.

EWR used to be served by NEW YORK Airways, Empire Airlines and New York Air as well.

New York Giants is still the name of the Football team etc etc.....

Ari707
2005-12-11, 08:15 AM
I guess its the same as the Giants and Jets playing in NJ but being NY teams....but the Devils and Nets who play in a building next to them are NJ teams...

USAF Pilot 07
2005-12-11, 03:26 PM
Honestly, who cares?

It's an airport that's located a few miles from NYC, and is catered to and used by thousands of NYers daily. Therefore it's definately a NYC airport, regardless of the fact that it's in NJ.

STT757
2005-12-16, 12:26 AM
Newark Airport is the NY area's first Commercial Airport, attending the opening ceremonies were Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Aerhart to name a few.

If you have google earth use the measurment feature to measure the distance in miles between Newark Airport Terminal C and JFK's Terminal 4 with these Manhattan Landmarks.

Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, World Trade Center.

According to Google Earth Newark Airport Terminal C is closer to these Manhattan landmarks than JFK's Terminal 4.

Google Earth:

World Trade Center-
EWR Terminal C = 8 miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 13 Miles
LGA CTB = 8.5 miles

Grand Central Terminal-
EWR Terminal C = 11 miles
JFK = 12.7 miles
LGA CTB = 5.7 miles

Times Square (from the ball drop/Miso Soup building)-
EWR Terminal C = 11.03 miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 13.3 miles
LGA CTB = 6 miles

Other NY notables..

Time Warner Center-
EWR Terminal C = 11.35 Miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 13.64 miles
LGA CTB = 5.85 Miles

Yankee Stadium-
EWR Terminal C = 15.85 Miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 14.85 Miles
LGA CTB= 4.67 miles

Staue of Liberty-
EWR Terminal C = 6.6 miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 14.14 miles
LGA CTB = 10.80 miles

Tom_Turner
2005-12-16, 12:36 AM
Staue of Liberty-
EWR Terminal C = 6.6 miles
JFK Terminal 4 = 14.14 miles
LGA CTB = 10.80 miles

Well, next time I leave from the Statue of Liberty... didn't you guys go to court and steal half the profits.. lol :)

Shame about Floyd Bennett not working out..though I believe EWR may even pre-date FB. I guess no one wanted to deal with Atlantic Avenue for some reason???

Peoples Express really blew up EWR didn't they? A really slow quiet airport for so many years, when JFK and LGA were busy and now....I drive down the turnpike at night and can count a steady 6 aircraft on approach...

STT757
2005-12-16, 12:52 AM
Teterboro is actually the oldest airport in the NYC region dating back to 1917, however the oldest commercial airport is EWR.

The Port Authority controls 4 NYC area airports:

Two in NYC (JFK, LGA) and two in NJ (EWR, TEB).

Teterboro- 1917
Newark Airport - 1928
Floyd Bennett field - 1931
LGA (ex NYC Municipal) - 1939
JFK (Idlewild) - 1948

FlyingColors
2005-12-16, 11:22 AM
"The Port Authority controls 4 NYC area airports"

.....and the spotter too!

:evil:

jfklganyc
2006-01-06, 09:15 PM
STT,

If we are going to compare Terminal distances from Manhattan, shouldn't we use the closest terminal at JFK AND the closest terminal at EWR. Or perhaps the furthest terminal at EWR AND the furthest Terminal at JFK.

It would appear that by using Terminal C at EWR (the furthest North) and using Terminal 4 at JFK (the furthest South),you may be slanting results in your favor.

Hey, if you did that, Yankee Stadium may actually be closer to EWR! haha

STT757
2006-01-07, 02:15 PM
STT,

If we are going to compare Terminal distances from Manhattan, shouldn't we use the closest terminal at JFK AND the closest terminal at EWR. Or perhaps the furthest terminal at EWR AND the furthest Terminal at JFK.

It would appear that by using Terminal C at EWR (the furthest North) and using Terminal 4 at JFK (the furthest South),you may be slanting results in your favor.

Hey, if you did that, Yankee Stadium may actually be closer to EWR! haha

You could use the old Tower Air Terminal at JFK and Terminal A at EWR and you still would not change the over all results, EWR is physically closer to the World Trade Center, Time Warner Center, Grand Central Terminal, Wall Street, City Hall, Union Square, etc are closer to EWR than JFK.

Even the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the Upper East Side is closer to EWR than JFK.

From the Met's front steps to EWR Terminal C is 12.64 miles, from the Met to AA's New JFK Terminal it's 12.87 miles.

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-08, 12:51 PM
My own measurements of distance from Manhattan are from the closest border or Manhattan to the closest border of the airport.

Idlewild
2006-01-08, 08:07 PM
Just like the Jets and the Giants, EWR is in New Jersey. Yes it serves NYC for the most part but doesn't most of New Jersey?

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-08, 08:43 PM
New york needs to annex New Jersey already. ****in leaches.

T-Bird76
2006-01-08, 08:46 PM
New york needs to annex New Jersey already. ****in leaches.

Bad idea!! Real bad idea!! I don't want that N.J trash part of N.Y, let them be our bitch. lol I'm just kidding all you fine folks from the Garden State, lol

PhilDernerJr
2006-01-08, 09:14 PM
New Jersey is only good for a few things:

Art Brett
Mike Primamore
Bob Garrard