PDA

View Full Version : Southwest NYC Flyover Tonight

Matt Molnar
2005-12-03, 03:28 PM
From the tac9.com emergency/news ticker:

*NYC-NEWS* TODAY 12-3-05 AT 7:30 PM THERE WILL BE A FLYOVER OF NYC BY A LOW FLYING SOUTHWEST AIRLINES BOEING 737 ON A SCENIC TOUR. FLIGHT IS AUTHORIZED AS PER THE FAA * MNS-106 _

I guess a night time flyover doesn't do any of us any good unless it might be parked at LGA?

Alex T
2005-12-03, 03:53 PM
ohhh man thatd be awesome to see, stupid STL lol

hope people get to see this!

Alex

cancidas
2005-12-03, 05:27 PM
doubt it as it'll probably go back to ISP to make up a revenue flight later on tonight or tommorow.

Matt Molnar
2005-12-03, 06:27 PM
SW flight 8725 was scheduled to depart ISP at 7:15 and arrive ISP at 7:41 but has now been cancelled. Hmmm.

LGA777
2005-12-03, 10:27 PM
Well I guess as I was in the right spot at the right time. I was sitting in my car in my "hood" in the Bronx about 2010L while my wife was in a store and looked up to see a WN 73G with logo lights and strobes on southbound about 1500-2000 feet. Because of the buildings I only could see her for about 3 seconds. If I had not heard about this flyover on CBS 880 AM, news radio (who had a reporter onboard) about an hour earlier I sure would have been shocked to see WN over NYC but if I had not known it was still very obvious it was WN. About 15 mins later approx 2025L we had just gotten out of the car to by groceries and there she was again this time Northeastbound maybe 2500-3000 feet I think. Perhaps the story will be on the 11:00 news. By the way not to be outdone 1010 Wins AM radio news described the flyover as by a "JUMBOJET". Did anyone else see the flyover ?

Regards

LGA777

Matt Molnar
2005-12-03, 11:01 PM
What was the reporter saying? What was the occasion? Sounds like an NYC-targeted PR maneuver to me.

LGA777
2005-12-03, 11:56 PM
It was to take Kids from the Ronald McDonald House on a aerial tour of NYC, I they might have said cancer patients !

rtrader
2005-12-04, 03:35 PM
I was working in the tower at ISP when the aircraft left. His call sign was Northpole 1 and was flown by N715SW, one of the -700's in the SHAMU c/s. Left around 8 pm and returned at 8:40 pm.

Matt Molnar
2005-12-04, 04:08 PM
“North Pole” Flight Leaves From Islip Airport
Southwest Airlines Sponsors Charity for Ronald McDonald House

Long Island Press News Staff 12/04/2005 2:10 pm

About 50 children who reside in Manhattan’s Ronald McDonald House boarded Southwest Flight 2968 from Islip MacArthur Airport destined for The North Pole on Dec. 3, so they could hand deliver their letters to Santa Claus.

On board, flight attendants dressed as elves and reindeer led the children and their parents in singing carols on the 45 minute trip. The sentiment expressed from those who volunteered their time was all alike: the weeks of planning and time devoted to organizing this was worth it to provide a night of unparalleled entertainment for the children.

"This is by far one of the grandest events we’ve ever done," says Ralph Vogul, a director at the Ronald McDonald House (RMDH) on East 73rd Street. "That’s why we’re here, for the kids."

RMDH provides "a home away from home" for children who are receiving cancer treatment at nearby hospitals. The Manhattan branch - the largest in the network with room for 85 families–provides not only a place to sleep, but plenty of entertainment for the kids who are staying there, many of whom are being treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Families from across the country and even the world have stayed in this particular house.

Southwest Airlines Pilot Steve Simon, who volunteers at RMDH, first pitched the idea to his employers several months ago. Once the enthusiastic approval came from corporate headquarters, he was amazed at how fast the coordination between local and federal government as well as the countless volunteers all came together. They even insisted on garnering one of the Boeing 737s in their fleet that is painted to look like Shamu the Whale.

The children’s parents had nothing but praise for the organizers. Paul Reardon of Groveland, Mass. says the flight cheered up his 6-year-old son Ryan faster than a speeding sleigh. The night "made a lot of happy kids," Reardon says.

UrbanExplorer222
2005-12-04, 05:14 PM
Thats a real nice gesture from WN... however i still hate them ;)

T-Bird76
2005-12-04, 06:41 PM
US Airways did the same thing as well. I was reading in today's Newsday it took off flew for 15 mins and landed back at LGA at a different gate that was all decked out to look like the North Pole. Ron or Matt did you see any of the US flight?

ISP Pilot
2005-12-05, 01:03 AM
US Airways did the same thing as well. I was reading in today's Newsday it took off flew for 15 mins and landed back at LGA at a different gate that was all decked out to look like the North Pole. Ron or Matt did you see any of the US flight?
The US flight never left the ground, it just taxied around LGA.

Holiday cheer takes 'flight'
U.S. Airways hosts annual trip to the 'North Pole' for young cancer patients and their families

BY WIL CRUZ
STAFF WRITER

December 4, 2005

For nearly half of his life, Eric Velasquez, 9, has spent the holidays going in and out of hospitals, undergoing chemotherapy treatment for a rare form of leukemia.

So when other young cancer patients from the Schneider Children's Hospital joined a "Fantasy Flight to the North Pole" every year, he'd have to pass.

"He was always too sick," said Maria Velasquez, 45, of Forest Hills.

But when the latest round of treatment put the cancer into remission in October, Eric, a fourth-grader at PS 101 in Forest Hills, knew he'd be ready this year.

"Now this is cool," he said yesterday at LaGuardia Airport, where volunteers played music, sang songs and danced with dozens of other young cancer patients.

"It's a break from getting those needles in my chest and everything else," he added.

Eric and about 80 other young cancer patients took the simulated flight courtesy of U.S. Airways and the Silver Liners, a group of retired flight attendants, and other organizations. The event is in its 26th year.

Yesterday, patients from the pediatric hematology/oncology division at the Schneider Children's Hospital in New Hyde Park huddled around Gate 12 at the airport. Accompanied by relatives, they boarded U.S. Airways Shuttle Flight 1225.

Destination: the North Pole.

The aircraft never left the airport, but most of the children were none the wiser. With the windows shut, the plane circled around the airport for 15 minutes.
On board, the children sang "Jingle Bells," "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Frosty the Snowman."

After the plane pulled up to another gate, the group got off and walked into Santa Claus' workshop - complete with the big guy himself, as well as volunteers dressed as elves, reindeer and gifts.

"You can see the joy in their faces, their hearts, their families," said Richard Galante, a social worker with the hospital. "Despite all their pain and suffering, they can see people loving them and the spirit of Christmas coming alive."

Parents enjoyed seeing other families, with whom they've gotten close, in a social setting.

"It's so nice to see everybody - away from the hospital," said Linda Persaud, 37, whose son, David, 3, was diagnosed with cancer in his kidneys in January 2004.

Meanwhile, Madison Crilley, 3, was diagnosed six months ago with a benign tumor behind her eye. On Friday, she underwent three hours of chemotherapy, her mother, Beth Crilley, said.

Madison showed no ill effects of the treatment, however, as she sat on the terminal floor yesterday and played with her new gifts: a teddy bear, an Alphabet House and a book featuring Little Bill, a cartoon character.

"She had something to look forward to," said Beth, 42, an accountant who lives in Commack. "It makes it a little bit easier on us, especially after a treatment day."

LGA777
2005-12-05, 09:49 AM
The US LGA event was started by Eastern, then the Trump Shuttle, and now US and is always extremely rewarding and we have done it every year since our terminal opened in 1992. All employees are volunteer including pilots and flight attendants. The last few years we have used a 319, before that a Shuttle 727, I have a shot somewhere of a Shuttle 727 with Santa, with a big bag of gifts over his shoulder with an elf at the bottom of the Boeing's rear airstairs. We decorate Gates 11 and 12 as the North Pole, it looks pretty cool, then when the party ends we have a Christmas party for our employees children at the same location. While some of my co-workers put a lot of labor into these two events every year, I play a much smaller part, rearranging our gate schedule for that day so gates 11 and 12 are empty after the originators leave and oh yeah, I assist my Manager in arranging for a spare aircraft to be made available, sometimes requiring a ferry in and out. While my part is small, seeing the looks on these families faces sure feels great !

Happy Holidays

LGA777

Art at ISP
2005-12-05, 12:12 PM
Rumor has it that Santa chose to fly US Airways because Southwest wanted to charge him for an extra seat due to his size.

Also one of his elves was reportedly intoxicated and removed from a flight last year...and Santa had to pay alot to keep that off "Airline".

...just a little humor folks...don't take it TOO seriously.

As my colleagues at FFOCUS say, "Friends don't let friends fly Southwest".

I respect those of you who love the big brown bus, they'll just never get my business.

Happy Holidays,

Art

cancidas
2005-12-05, 06:04 PM
ron, there is a pic of santa on the ramp outside your admin. is that the same one you're refering to?

the fantasy flight is done for some children's hospital, in addition to employee's kids. there was a piece about it on the news last year. they baord out of one gate, then taxi around the airport and return to another gate. because of the layout of our terminal they don't even see the christmas-themed gate until they return. definately a good tradition that we are proud to have...

LGA777
2005-12-05, 09:39 PM
Matt, the photo you mentioned in admin is from the same day, funny I just looked at the photo today when I walked thru the "hall of photo's".

LGA777

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-05, 10:51 PM
If I recall correctly, they close the shades on the windows and tell the kids that the way to get there is a secret or soemthing...so they don't see that they don't actually fly. This true?

Also, anyone know where they taxied to?