PDA

View Full Version : advice on a point-and-shoot

cancidas
2005-11-22, 11:56 PM
i need your advice people... i'm trying to buy myself a point-and-shoot digital cam that i could carry on me when at work. i don't know how many times i've seen something interesting at work and can't do squat about it because my D70 is sitting at home in the camera bag. i wouldn't dare take the ting to work unless i was going to carry it on me all day and when im working there is no way of doing that.

what i'm looking for is something durable but compact as well, a cam that i could keep in my pocket so it can't really be oddly shaped. i'd rather it be simply square or rectangular. the memory card is not a big issue as i already have the hardware to support SD and CF cards. i would need a decent amount of zoom available as i'd be shooting not only on my ramp but also all the way out onto both A and B taxiways and RWY13/31. the runway is a good 300-400 ft away.

FlyingColors
2005-11-23, 09:55 AM
Matt,
Go to Costco, fair amount of cameras you can try..........and return them for full $ return, even if it takes you a few weeks. To have that kind of freedom is well worth the membership.

Some of the compact cameras out there are no joke, packing great quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ron Peel has the most of the 'best of' shots on A-net, of anyone on this board!

DSLR's rule for fast and far action, speed shooting. Your not going to get anything great with a compact from Howard Beach area (maybe--this stuff is always changing sooo fast!), but on the ramp its great.

Ron's work is proof of using the tool properly for the job, situation. Way to go Ron!

Mike

cancidas
2005-11-23, 04:24 PM
ron does do great with his cam but the shape and size of it make it difficult to stick into a shirt pocket and run around the ramp. i need somethign small, like the size of a wallet or smaller.

thanks for the advice mike, will definately check it out.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-23, 06:43 PM
I don't know what Mike is talking about when he says "Best of" shots, but Ron's work is absolutely amazing, especially considering that he is not working with a DSLR.

FlyingColors
2005-11-24, 02:25 PM
Best of---- "Top Of last 24 Hr"

shoot.............me!

Mike :wink: