PDA

View Full Version : NYCAviation.com's "Best of 2005" Awards!!

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 07:44 PM
Hey Everyone!

As we near the end of the year, we thought it would be great to look back at 2005 and see what it brought the airline industry and our hobby by having our first annual Best of the Year Awards!

Please read the instructions VERY carefully and make sure that you understand them before participating.

This is currently the nomination period. I will list each category and the requirements for a nominee.

At the very bottom of this post, there is a final listing of the categories to make it easier for you. Copy that final list and paste it into a reply to this thread, and enter your nominees in that reply.

You may enter as many as THREE nominees for each category. You may enter less, but no more than three. Make sure it meets the requirements as mentioned, or it will be removed.

At the end of the month (November), I will tally the nominees and create the final candidates for each category. Not to remove all democratic ability among you, but I might choose to put in nominations that I feel should be in there if they were not nominated enough or at all.

If there are not enough nominees to fill a certain category, I will either put more in myself or will remove that category completely due to lack of interest.

From there, I will create a new thread, programmed as a poll, for all of you to vote. Then, probably on December 15, I will end the voting and we will go over the winners.

Now for the categories.

Best New Service in NYC for 2005

What is the best new flight or route added to NYC this year?

These would be for a new routes added by any airline to any of the three NYC airports (LGA, JFK or EWR), or for a change in aircraft equipment on that route, chosen for of excitement or by it being a good business move. It can be a new route that never existed before, or it can be an airline that decided to get in on an existing route to compete with others. (Examples would be if JetBlue began LGA-SXM, or if an airline jumped into the JFK-FLL route to compete with JetBlue, or Lufthansa bringing the A380 onto their existing JFK routes). Choose three.

Best New Paint Scheme of the Year

What airline has come out with the best looking new paint scheme this year?

This can be an existing airline's new scheme, or the emergence of a new airline which, obviously, has a new scheme. The airline does not have to necessarily fly to New York, but must operate the scheme in United States! Pick three based on either looks or smart ideas. An airline that has retro-fitted winglets and added a scheme to the winglet does NOT count as a new scheme. You CAN choose a single special paint scheme, even if it appears on only one plane!

Worst New Paint Scheme of the Year

What airline's new paint scheme looks absolutely disgusting?

These could be existing airlines' new schemes, or the emergence of a new airlines which, obviously, has a new scheme. The airlines do not have to necessarily fly to New York, but must operate the scheme in United States! Pick three based on bad looks or poor planning. An airline that has retro-fitted winglets and added a scheme to the winglet does NOT count as a new scheme.

NYC Airline of the Year

What NYC-operating airline best served the city?

Choose new or old airlines that operate at either LGA, JFK or EWR that you feel either did a great job business-wise, that you feel best-served the needs of local passengers, made a big difference in flying around here, or made our hobby a lot more fun. Use your own criteria to choose your favorite three.

Aircraft Type of the Year in NYC

What aircraft type did you enjoy most in New York City this year?

Choose an aircraft type that you enjoyed the most this year. New or old. It must be an aircraft that was a part of regular scheduled service, NOT a special visitor. Choose three aircraft types. "737" is not enough. Describe them as "737-800" or "A340-500", so you can choose 3 different versions of what aircraft (like 737-200 and 737-700). Various seating configurations do not constitute its own aircraft type.

Best Special Aircraft Visitor to NYC in 2005

What was the best special visitor to the NYC area this year?

It can be any kind of VIP, military, private, business, cargo, or diversion flight that came to either LGA, JFK or EWR this year. It does not have to be a special TYPE (so even though 737s come in here a lot, you can choose, for example, a USAF 737-700). You do not HAVE TO post the date, but feel free. Feel free to also post a link (link only) to a photo of it, though it is not required to do so. Choose three.

Best Aviation Event of the Year

What was the most exciting thing to happen, worldwide, in aviation this year?

This is to describe the most exciting thing that has happened in commercial aviation this year, not necessarily in New York City. It can be worldwide. It can be the unveiling of a new aircraft elsewhere in the world, a new paint scheme, a new route, anything that happened since January 1. Choose three.

Best NYC Gathering of the Year

What local gathering was the best of the year for 2005?

Was it a particular spotting outing that got a lot of people out or maybe a smaller one that was just very fun? Was it LGA Kids Day, Mario's BBQ or another party that we had? It cannot be a trip to elsewhere that NYCers went on. Choose three.

Best EWR Photo of the Year

What was the best photo taken at Newark Liberty Airport this year?

You can only nominate OTHER PEOPLE'S photos. You can nominate any photo that is on JetPhotos.net, Airliners.net, or any other photo database site. You may also nominate photos that have been posted on this site or on this message board. If you have a photo of someone's that you want to nominate but it is not on any sites, email me at [email protected] and I will host it for you. The photo most have been taken at EWR of something aviation related, or of EWR from off the airport's grounds. Only use photos taken from this year. ONLY POST LINKS TO THE PHOTO. Do not use code to show the photo. Post links to three photos.

Best LGA Photo of the Year

What was the best photo taken at La Guardia Airport this year?

You can only nominate OTHER PEOPLE'S photos. You can nominate any photo that is on JetPhotos.net, Airliners.net, or any other photo database site. You may also nominate photos that have been posted on this site or on this message board. If you have a photo of someone's that you want to nominate but it is not on any sites, email me at [email protected] and I will host it for you. The photo most have been taken at LGA of something aviation related, or of LGA from off the airport's grounds. Only use photos taken from this year. ONLY POST LINKS TO THE PHOTO. Do not use code to show the photo. Post links to three photos.

Best JFK Photo of the Year

What was the best photo taken at JFK Airport this year?

You can only nominate OTHER PEOPLE'S photos. You can nominate any photo that is on JetPhotos.net, Airliners.net, or any other photo database site. You may also nominate photos that have been posted on this site or on this message board. If you have a photo of someone's that you want to nominate but it is not on any sites, email me at [email protected] and I will host it for you. The photo most have been taken at JFK of something aviation related, or of JFK from off the airport's grounds. Only use photos taken from this year. ONLY POST LINKS TO THE PHOTO. Do not use code to show the photo. Post links to three photos.

Best NYC Aviation Photographer of the Year

Who was the best photographer from the NYC area this year?

Choose a photographer that lives in the tri-state area (NYC, Long Island, New Jersey, New York State) that you feel took the best aviation photographs this year. Along with each name you mention, you may post links (and only links) to three of that photographer's shots from this year. Only use photos taken from this year. Name three photographers.

I also wanted to say, for the photos, that be sure to check out JetPhotos shots as well as Anet. there are amazing shots on JP to consider, especially for LGA. JetPhotos, I think beats out Airliners.net for great motives at LGA.

for both sites, a good way to search is to choose the airport, then the date of "Last Year" (or 2005 for JetPhotos) and then choose Most Popular.

The final list of categories. Invite people to register here on the site and join in the fun! Now for it! Paste the following into a reply and fill it out.

NYC Airline of the Year

3.[/i]

cancidas
2005-11-20, 07:48 PM

1. US Airways

2. US Airways

3. US Airways

i'm lazy right now, and that's all i have to say for the moment.

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-20, 09:02 PM
My nominations:

1. Air Canada using the Embraer 175 on their LGA-YYZ route

2. Air Canada Jazz putting the CRJ-705 on their LGA-YYZ route

3. Delta 737-200

1. US Airways

2. MaxJet new colors

3. Pink Song 757

1. MaxJet first colors

2. AA's "Working Together' MD80

3. Avianca new colors

NYC Airline of the Year

1. JetBlue

2. Air Canada

3. Spirit

1. 737-800

2. Embraer 175

3. Embraer 190

1. May 3 - Spanish A-310 at LGA

2. November 3 – Shorts 330 at LGA

3. September 25 – US Airways 757-200 at LGA (Star Alliance colors)

1. Safe arrival of damaged JetBlue A320 at LAX

2. First Flight of the A380

3. AirTran adding winglets to their 737s

1. Mirrodie's BBQ – September 24

2. LGA Kids Day – September 24

3. July 4th Weekend at LGA and JFK

1. Mike Primamore's Malaysia 744 sunset http://www.airliners.net/open.file/849882/L/

2. Mike McLaughlin's BA 777 rotation http://www.airliners.net/open.file/878859/L/

3. Carlos Borda's USA 3000 tight bank http://www.airliners.net/open.file/879785/L/

1. Josh Akbar's DL 762 over the highway http://www.airliners.net/open.file/891449/L/

2. Tommy Alfano's DL 762 with Futterman and Akbar in foreground http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=540034

3. Ron Peel's USAF C-40B landing on rwy 31 http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5627443

1. Tom Turner Thai A345 bank http://www.airliners.net/open.file/920279/L/

2. Eric Dunetz AF 777 steep climb-out http://www.airliners.net/open.file/889381/L/

3. Mike McLaughlin MaxJet touchdown http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5619578

1. Eric Dunetz

2. Ron Peel

3. Josh Akbar

T-Bird76
2005-11-20, 10:32 PM

1. Air Canada VYR Service from JFK

2. Jet Blue JFK to BOS

3. CO to Berlin

1. US Airways

2. Southwest Slam Dunk One

3. Max Jet

1. Delta on the E170

2. AA's winglet scheme

3. EOS

NYC Airline of the Year

1. Southwest

2. Jet Blue

3. US Airways

1. 737-700 Winglets

2. 717

3. E190

1. 747-8 launch

2. 787 suprasses its sales goals

3. A380 first flight

1. 4th of July outing

2. Mario's BBQ

3. Trip to LA with Phil and Eric

I'll do the rest when I check out the photos.

Tower Air
2005-11-21, 03:34 PM

1. JetBlue E-190

2. Maxjet

3. Jetblue EWR

1. US airways

2. Air canada silver

3. Southwest Canyon Blue

4. Song pink

1. Song Green

2. Delta E-170

3. ???????????????????????

NYC Airline of the Year

1. Jetblue

2. United

3. US airways

1. E-190

2. 747

3. 777

1. ???????????????????????????????

2. ??????????????????????/

3. ???????????????

1. Safe Land of canyon Blue @ LAX

2. Don't know

3. Don't know

1. Kids day

2. * can't think of one*

3. * can't think of one*

1. ??????????????????/

2. ????????????????????????

3. ???????????????????

1. ?????????????????????

2. ????????????????????

3. ????????????????????

1. ???????????????????????

2. ???????????????????????

3. ????????????????????????

1. Jakabar

2. Phil D

3. Senega

mirrodie
2005-11-21, 07:52 PM

1. Air Canada Jazz putting the CRJ-705 on their LGA-YYZ route

1. AA's winglet addition

2. MaxJet new colors

3. Pink Song 757

1. MaxJet first colors

2. AA's "Working Together' MD80

NYC Airline of the Year

1. American

1. 737-800

2. Embraer 175

3. Embraer 190

1. The entire UN week!

1. First Flight of the A380

2. JetBlues televised landing

1. Mirrodie's BBQ – September 24

1. Mike Primamore's Malaysia 744 sunset http://www.airliners.net/open.file/849882/L/

1. Josh Akbar's DL 762 over the highway http://www.airliners.net/open.file/891449/L/

2. Tommy Alfano's DL 762 with Futterman and Akbar in foreground http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=540034

3. Ron Peel's USAF C-40B landing on rwy 31 http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5627443

1. Tom Turner Thai A345 bank http://www.airliners.net/open.file/920279/L/

2. Eric Dunetz AF 777 steep climb-out http://www.airliners.net/open.file/889381/L/

1. Eric Dunetz

2. Senga Butts

3. Tommy Alfano

2005-11-21, 08:37 PM

AA MD-80 "Working Together"

.... absolutely!!!

ISP Pilot
2005-11-23, 08:02 PM

1. JFK-PPT TN A340-500

2. JFK - BKK TG A340-500

3. MIA - JFK AA B777 (a $10,000 F flAAgship suite for under $200 plus 3 stickers!!!)

1. MH

2. AS Salmon scheme

3. TG

1. US

2. Pink Song

3. WN Maryland One

NYC Airline of the Year

1. AA

2. DH

3. CO

1. 777-200ER

2. DC-10-30

3. E190

1. C172 (that I landed at JFK!)

2. Air Force 1

3. UN Week

1. Boeing getting more orders for the 787 than the A380/A350 COMBINED

2. Opening of AA T9

3. Everyone surviving the AF A340 crash in YYZ

1. Need to visit this site more and attend an event!

PhilDernerJr
2005-11-29, 05:21 PM
Come on guys. Let's get more nominations in before the actual voting begins. Only a handful of your posted replies.

Let your voice be heard. :)

xterra48
2005-12-03, 06:16 PM

1. Jet Blue to BOS with the E-190

2. MaxJet

1. Avianca

2. Maryland One

3. Salmon-thiryt-salmon

1. Slam Dunk One

2. US Airways

3. AC 767 aluminium

NYC Airline of the Year

1. Jet Blue

2. Southwest

3. Thai

1. E-190

2. 777

3. 737-700

1. A380 first flight

2. Boeing racking up orders

3. 747-8 finally launched

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-06, 06:57 AM
I just want to say for the record that Southwest is not an NYC airline, as it does not operate at any New York City airport and will not be counted in the "NYC Airline of the Year" category.

Alex T
2005-12-08, 05:26 PM
I just want to say for the record that Southwest is not an NYC airline, as it does not operate at any New York City airport and will not be counted in the "NYC Airline of the Year" category.

Thats to bad is ISP not counted as part of New York City then?

Alex

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-08, 05:28 PM
Correct, ISP is not an NYC airport. Only LGA, JFK and EWR are counted.

UrbanExplorer222
2005-12-09, 12:30 AM
I just want to say for the record that Southwest is not an NYC airline, as it does not operate at any New York City airport and will not be counted in the "NYC Airline of the Year" category. HAHAHAH THANK YOU PHIL!!!!!

ISP Pilot
2005-12-09, 11:20 AM
According to Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, EWR is not a NYC airport either as it too is not in NYC.

PhilDernerJr
2005-12-09, 01:20 PM
Anyone who would liek to debate what constitues an NYC airport cna start a discussion about it in General Discussion. Please keep this thread for Award Nominations.

Thanks.