PDA

View Full Version : Flying into AA's New T9 at JFK next week!

RDU-JFK
2005-11-18, 12:39 AM
Hey all:

I'm getting excited because I'm flying AA from RDU to JFK next Tuesday for Thanksgiving break, and I'm stoked to see the new terminal 9. Has anyone flown through it recently? Have they torn down the old concourse D yet? Will I be amazed?

Thanks!

mirrodie
2005-11-18, 12:07 PM
Its a real treat.

WE flew out of there on Sept 27 and were amazed.
The inner space is expansive, prior to gettting past security. Its large, like a Euro rail terminal but somewhat cozy and warm on the eyes.

It blends new age design with touches of AA history... some old AA emblems were thrown into the design. What really makes it stand out are those small touches. The world clocks, the old school AA signs.

there ara few moving walkways as well.

Then at the gates themselves, rather impressive, right down to the granite countertops!

But apparently what you will see is actually scaled down!

There is a user here who knows a lot more about it as he has helped with the design and works on that site. Without putting him on the spot, perhaps he'll chime in.

I was pretty amazed with the new terminal. It seems ot be built directly OVER the old term!

cheers

Jonesbeach
2005-11-18, 04:35 PM
You would have been a lot more amazed if they built the whole thing! Keep in mind that when you walk into the ticketing lobby on the departures level it was supposed to be 3 times bigger! Three 747's could've been parked comfortably in the ticketing lobby. As far as the interior, I'm not a big fan, but it works if you like industrial grey. The old teminal 9 is the process of getting torn down, but there is A LOT of asbestos in that building and it takes a while to get it all out. By the time you go through next week some of the old terminal should be gone, right now they're just abating and demo-ing the inside. I could go on for hours about this terminal and its construction (the problems getting the roof trusses through some tiny Pennsylvania town, the year they mothballed Concourse C after 9/11, etc...) The tunnel is pretty neat, but I think the lights are a bit much. Although it is pretty cool to watch the ground just disappear as you go down the escalator. We're not sure if they will ever build the rest of it, but it will be a shame if they leave it like it is. Any other questions about these buildings just let me know.