PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue E190 - First Day

fly.mcs
2005-11-08, 06:40 PM
Hello NYCAviation. I flew on JetBlue first E190 flight this morning (JBU1024) as well as a return flight from Boston (JBU1009). To sum things up, the aircraft is gorgeous. However, the flights (especially the second of the two) were not as enjoyable.

Onboard JBU1024 (JFK-BOS), our flight was scheduled to depart at 06:30 to make a 07:40 arrival into BOS. The fuel was pumped into the aircraft, but up in the cockpit there was a problem with the gauge of valve; this caused a departure delay of 26 minutes. We taxied out of Gate 1 at 06:56 and departed runway 22R at 07:16. The flight was very short (as expected) and the service was enjoyable. Landing was very professional and that was the end of that flight! Just a little note... Many were expecting a grand Inaugural Flight. This did not occur, nor was there any type of water cannon salute. Maybe it was scheduled for another flight.

After spending nearly 5 hours in Boston, I headed back to the airport for my flight back to JFK. This aircraft was scheduled to depart at 13:20. Upon arrival, we noticed that the aircraft had still not arrived by 12:50, which was our scheduled boarding time. Our flight was delayed an hour due to an engine light on in the aircraft. While waiting for this aircraft to arrive, another E190 was preparing to turn into Gate 30. There seemed to be some sort of problem with the nose gear, sinc eI spotted at least four men poking their heading into the well. This aircraft remained on the taxiway for some time, with the men's heads still poking to see what was up. Eventually the aircraft taxied in. The E190 was not doing so well on its first day..

Our aircraft (N179JB) finally arrived at Gate 29 and we began boarding one hour late at 13:50. The JetBlue Crew even tried to squeeze passengers from JBU1007 onto our full flight! After a lot of frustration, everyone was situated on the aircraft. Then another problem occurred..something was up in the cockpit again. A bunch of crew showed up to assist and one even had a manual with them! (This really shows how well they trained in the brand new aircraft...) This alarmed my dad since the crew was not familiar with the plane. The flight attendent even had trouble closing the cockpit door! We departed at 14:26 and arrived into JFK 59 minutes late at 15:29.

I forgot to mention, the PTVs did not work for both flights! Why hand out a ticket that says, "Congratulations! Your seat comes with 36 channels of DIRECTV programming." This was very frustrating...

Overall, JetBlue claims they have trained their crew for at least 2 weeks int he brand new E190s. Clearly this was not the case. I did not feel so comfortable flying with JBU; it was my first time flying with them, and first impressions are lasting impressions. I really expected more from them. I do commend them on their outstanding snack and drink service, as well as their choice in aircraft. I do feel they need A LOT more work to do with their crew on the E190.

As mom says, "you buy cheap, you get cheap"

cancidas
2005-11-08, 07:22 PM
since the B6 people are accostomed to working on the airbusses departing from that to the new EMB-190 is a big deal for them. two weeks of training is not nearly enough to learn an entirely new airplane. teething issues are being had with every new airplane introduced into commercial service, especially a brand new type for a carrier that has had no prior experience with it.

give them some time, they'll get better at it. you have to give them credit for trying though.

AA 777
2005-11-08, 07:23 PM
Overall, JetBlue claims they have trained their crew for at least 2 weeks int he brand new E190s. Clearly this was not the case.

You have to think about the situation here. While JetBlue has trained their 2 weeks (and i dont doubt it), it is a new aircraft type. Not only that, but its the revenue day of the E190 anywhere in the world. Things will go wrong for the first couple of days/weeks....I think its almost expected. Also, I dont see what the big deal was with the mechanic using a manual - its the same idea - Its a brand new plane for JetBlue. Also, in regards to the flight attendant who had some trouble closing the cockpit door......Thats a pretty minor thing in regards to the flight - it doesnt affect the actual safety of the plane....Its a door!

I dont want to sound like im ripping you apart (which I probably do) but cut them some slack. Im positive the pilots werent going to fly the plane if it wasnt safe or if they didnt know what they were doing. Im an AA guy myself but I have complete confidance in JetBlue, just like any other airline. Think about it like this.....The pilot doesnt care about you ass....he only cares about his....If the planes not safe hes not going to fly it. :D

-AA 777
[/quote]

K9DEP
2005-11-08, 07:30 PM
Here are some of the bad pics I took but there will be more(hopefully better) . . . . .
PIC1 (http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4206/dscf00010ih.jpg)
PIC2 (http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8312/dscf00054ax.jpg)
and one of Futterman . . .
PIC3 (http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9030/dscf00043qs.jpg)

KLM777
2005-11-08, 08:25 PM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/3011/wow5fv.jpg

moose135
2005-11-08, 09:04 PM
A bunch of crew showed up to assist and one even had a manual with them! (This really shows how well they trained in the brand new aircraft...)

You see, back in my pilot days, I considered the maintenance guys using the manual to be a good thing :!:

KLM777
2005-11-08, 09:17 PM
But you should have seen how noone really knew what was going on I think the flight attedant finally closed the door after slamming it about 16 times and when we were waiting for the return flt (which was late) there were like 20 guys on the ramp waiting for the plane. And when the plane came only 6 of them actually did anything. The rest were taking pics or talking to each other.
I thought jetblue was supposed to be TOPFLIGHT
:roll:

fly.mcs
2005-11-08, 09:23 PM
AA 777, I never said I dont have confidence in JetBlue. All I'm saying is, they should have waited to launch the E190 until they were defiantely ready. I'm sure if I flew the A320 today on these legs I would've had a much different experience. I think when an airline gets a new aircraft, 2 weeks is not enough to train the crew.

And moose135, good point there regarding the manual. I suppose it is good to see them using it, but I believe it was in regards to a light in the cockpit. The pilots should be familiar with them even if the aircraft is new; they should have had more training.

And finally, regarding the cockpit door. Closing it properly has all to do witht he safety of the flight. What if you were on a flight with a crazy wacko and the cockpit door wasn't shut properly? And then this wacko (terrorist or drunk) made hsi way in? What would you say then? Obviously that wasn't going to happen on my flight, but in most cases, if the crew cannot shut the cockpit door, then where's their knowledge? It only showed they didn't train enough. That was the point I was trying to make.

jakbar
2005-11-08, 09:29 PM
Is Futterman on the ground trying to smell the new carpet in Picture No. 3? :?:

Seeing the cockpit pictures above, it just dawned on me that the JetBlue pilots who switched over to the E190 had to switch from Airbus-style joysticks to a more traditional steering column. Have any of the pilots who frequent these forums ever had to make such a switch? I wonder how difficult it is to train yourself to put your hands in the different places without thinking.

Josh

Futterman
2005-11-08, 11:35 PM
All I'm saying is, they should have waited to launch the E190 until they were defiantely ready. I'm sure if I flew the A320 today on these legs I would've had a much different experience.

Of course you would've. They've been using the A320 for five years.

The E190's been a part of their fleet for only two months.

Personally, I would much rather see the flight crew and some mechanics break out the manual to see what a light in the cockpit is for than see them flip through the "How To Program The FMC" section. Correct me if I am wrong, but the issues we came across today - difficulty closing a fuel door, lights in the cockpit, etc. - are all extremely petty things and cannot be used to gauge the pilots' ability to safely fly the plane.

If anything, the fact that they delayed the flight in favor of researching and understanding something so seemingly insignificant speaks volumes about their dedication towards safety. I was actually happy to see them work out their problems on the spot.

Just keep in mind that we were on the first revenue E190 flight in the WORLD, and there are many idiosyncrasies to be dealt with and a huge learning curve to overcome. Do I think however much training the crews have received thusfar is adequate? Yes. Do I think they were properly prepared? In light of today's delays, I'd have to say no.

You're in AP Physics, right? You know the reference tables? You may know how to do a problem, but may also refer to the reference tables for further clarification. Especially during a test. I believe the same concept applies here.

Is Futterman on the ground trying to smell the new carpet in Picture No. 3? :?:

Yes, Josh, I always stuff my face in weird carpets.

Brian

mikephotos
2005-11-09, 12:36 PM
Just keep in mind that we were on the first revenue E190 flight in the WORLD

Actually, 1024 was the 2nd, no? The first was 1001 BOS-JFK. But you're right on all other counts. You WILL have problems with any launch of a new type. You should not base your opinions of an airline on any one flight especially a launch flight.

Mike

Clipper
2005-11-09, 02:33 PM
A minor mechanical delay on a first flight is very normal, a lot of planned first revenue flight in a new type gets cancel for other airlines. It takes months to "shake" an aircraft down during revenue flights to find all the problems, using manual to resolve the problem(s) just means they are following the rules(FAA) and protocol, nothing wrong with that. Do you rather the mechanic perform a test or troubleshoot with A320 procedures he might know by hart or break out the manual and follow it for something he have NO practical experience on?? That is very professional thing they did since no one can know much about this aircraft at this point.

As for FA not able to closed the cockpit door, I don’t know how the door latches are setup but some of the earlier electrical actuated door latches on the A320 would bind and not allowing the door to close properly. The FA may know that and she is just doing her best in trying to close the door like she would for an earlier vintage A320.

IslipWN
2005-11-09, 04:22 PM
I can't believe they only trained for two weeks. That makes me feel unsafe. I hope everything goes right this Sunday.

K9DEP
2005-11-09, 06:44 PM
I can't believe they only trained for two weeks. That makes me feel unsafe. I hope everything goes right this Sunday.

Idk if any of you ever noticed how the airbus's enter their approaches ->nose up (but descending), on both the flights you could tell that the pilot was too used to the A320's b/c whenever he would pull up the plane would ascend.
But aside from that the flight was good and only A320 captains and check airmen are flying the E-190's until each 190 rated captain gets 25 hours on the a/c Also there are 3 captains aboard (so i couldn't jumpseat) on each flight , but when you go on sunday you won't even notice the pilots mistakes because there already are flying them at least 5 times a day jfk-bos so by sunday their gonna be pros![/b]

btw I know I gotta update my sig . . . . .

USAF Pilot 07
2005-11-09, 10:32 PM

Flying is flying for the most part... I'm assuming most of these 190 pilots are coming off the 320, so I wouldn't worry about the pilot not being able to fly the aircraft or having problems controlling the aircraft....

Most other things, like the F/A having trouble operating the doors etc... is usually pretty negligable, and on a brand new airframe, such as the 190, I'm sure there's warning systems in place to alert the flight crew if something is wrong.

fly.mcs
2005-11-10, 07:46 AM
Hey Futterman, I had no idea it was the WORLD'S first passenger E190 flight. That's way cool...makes me forget about the mess-ups that day lol. But yes, I still love jetBlue and I do understand "new aircraft, probelms will occur" but I really would've liked to have seen everything go smoother. I'm still gonna give them chance, no worries. BTW, I provided links to a few of my pictures below:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5626480 (Cabin)
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5626501 (Flight Deck)
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5626502 (F/O Controls)

Ari707
2005-11-10, 08:03 AM
I like the garbage bag attached to the F/O's seat in your second pic.
Its a brand new plane lets try to keep it clean at least for the first day....

K9DEP
2005-11-10, 06:47 PM
Actually that wasn't the f/o's seat, that was the E190 check airman Ralph Isabella's seat (he looked like Dr. Phil)

lijk604
2005-11-10, 11:49 PM
From a very reliable source....

That faulty Fuel gauge in the cockpit caused an overfuel situation. That was the reason for the delay.

Eric Daniel Smith
2005-11-11, 03:18 AM
And moose135, good point there regarding the manual. I suppose it is good to see them using it, but I believe it was in regards to a light in the cockpit.

Probably what you were seeing was a mechanic checking what is called a "Minimum Equipment List." The MEL details what can be flown broke and what has to be fixed before the plane can fly. If a warning light goes off in the cockpit and it turns out to be something very minor, the pilots or a mechanic will check the MEL to see if they can just fly with the part broken so they can fix it at a mx base or RON station later on. This is done on a daily basis all over the world, it's really nothing to worry about.

I'd be more worried if he was just guessing ;)