PDA

View Full Version : mx

cancidas
2005-07-26, 10:29 AM
i had the strangest situation yesterday. a flight had to return to get due to maintenence because the captain dropped her cell phone into the airplane.

lol... take a second ot digest that and read on.

the airline, chautauqua. the a/c, EMB-145. now, the column for the yoke has a rubber boot that covers the gap between the yoke and the floor board to keep dirt and other such stuff (cellphones) from falling in there. problem begins when the bootis not completely secured. old and dirty velcro doesn't really hold well. according to the captain, she was taxiing and took a sharp turn to avoid a pothole in the taxiway when her phone, which was in her lap, fell down and managed to wedge itself between the rubber and the yoke column. when she reached down to retriever it she basically knowcked it down into the avionics bay below the cockpit. poor elisha... anyway, she had to return to gate for safety reasons not knowing if the phone was wedged in the control cables for the control surfaces or soemthign else in there. after i parked her at the gate i climbed up to find out if she wanted to deplane. when she realzed it was me she told me the story and i started laughing at it. mx arrived and the poor mechanic climbed up into the avionics bay to try and find the phone. the machanic is about 5'6'' and he was in up to his knees trying to balance on the nosegear to fish out the phone. we finally got it and at this point elisha was worried about the repercussions of the situation. we buttoned up the airplane and pushed her back out, and the flight departed without incident. her phone was found below the tiller cables for the nosegear steering and now has a mark rubbed into it from where the cable scratched up the surface. we're all still laughing at this and elisha swore to never take the phone from her purse again...

the moral of this story is never drop stuff into airplanes!!

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-26, 10:52 AM
Wow. Did the mechs find that the phone would have caused damage or trouble if they had departed?

Great story, Matt.

jakbar
2005-07-26, 11:01 AM
we finally got it and at this point elisha was worried about the repercussions of the situation.

Interesting story, but if the pilot was so worried about the repercussions, why on earth would you mention her actual name over and over again? I sure hope her bosses and/or colleagues don't read this forum!

USAF Pilot 07
2005-07-26, 12:33 PM
LOL... funny story.

Anything going to happen to the pilot?

cancidas
2005-07-26, 11:54 PM
not her real name. and all she got was a phone call from her chief pilot to discuss the situation.

IslipWN
2005-07-31, 12:41 AM
funny story!