PDA

View Full Version : Tall Dutchie coming to town

JRadier
2005-07-19, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

as I'm "in the area" (Florida, but for me that's in the area) from the 28th of July (late in the evening) till the 1st of August, so I will spend 4 days in the big apple. From those days I'm planning 2 in the city, and 2 days spotting (JFK and LGA). As I leave for home (back to the windmills ;)) on Monday the 1st, I was thinking to put that date from some JFK spotting, as that will be my departure airport. As I recon the sunday is a 'quiet' day in the city, that day would be best for some LGA photography (now just hoping for the weather).

You're probably all thinking "well nice to know, but what does that guy want?" . What I am looking for is some advice where to go at JFK and LGA (as I don't have a car), where not to go, what to do, what not to do and so on. I allready found Art Brett's website, and LGA looks do-able on foot, JFK remains a mistery for me. Also I see plenty of shots from LGA at airliners.net wich seem to be taken from above ground level, somewhere in the terminal.

Can you guys perhaps help me out a bit, and if you want perhaps meet up?

Jurgen

P.S. I'll post a thread about hotels and the city later on in the aproprirate sub-forum.

T-Bird76
2005-07-19, 09:52 PM
I'd def be up for some spotting the eve of the 29th and the 31st. I'll PM you when it gets closer.

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-20, 10:44 AM
This is a great site for learning about spotting locations in the airea.

http://anniebees.com/Photos/SpottingLocations.htm

Although LGA is a little bigger than you might think. for that LGA map there, point A to C will take you a while, at least 40 minutes.

Ask anything you'd like. :)

JRadier
2005-07-20, 12:19 PM
Phil,

tanks for the website, I allready found that one. I'm missing one spot at LGA tho, and you describe it at jetphotos. It's in the main terminal on the third floor (according to you). I recall Brian talking about giving the cops a call first (only this spot, or all?), what is there number? (and do I just tell them I'll be there or do I have to do something else?

about JFK, as I won't be having a car, wich spots are accessable on foot or by public transport? As I'm planning to go spotting on a Monday I don't expect anyone wanting to meet up, so I'm trying to see where I can get on my own.

That's the questions for now.... ;)

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-20, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure of the number, I'm sure Brian will post the one that he uses. I have one, but it's for something else.

I thnk the direct numbe for the Port Atuhority's LGA cops would be your best bet. Futt knows it.

Otherwise, I have no idea about spotting at JFK without a car. I don't drive, and if I knew how to do it without a car, I'd have done it. lol. Big airport, tough to get around.

JRadier
2005-07-27, 09:21 PM
Flying up to JFK tomorrow.....

Brian (or anyone else), what number should I call if I go spotting from the terminal to get to the police to notify me of being there?

Anyone else want's to meet up at LGA on the 31st?? or JFK on the 1st? (a monday).

Jurgen

Futterman
2005-07-27, 09:45 PM
Hey Jurgen,

The Port Authority Police Department (PAPD) can be reached at 1-718-533-3900. Just use your judgement with the automated menu and ask to speak with a lieutenant or sargeant when someone picks up. Simply tell them that you'll be taking photos (and where you are in the terminal), and they may send a cop or two to come up and take a look.

There are also courtesy phones everywhere in the main terminal that you can pick up and dial 3900.

I'm sure there'll be a group of guys out on Saturday the 30th and/or Sunday the 31st. You can call my cell phone tomorrow evening (check your email) to see what may be happening.

Hopefully we'll be able to catch up and show you around!
Brian

JRadier
2005-07-28, 04:52 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the info. Didn't catch your e-mail tho, what you might try is jurgenradier@***gmail***.com

I'm staying in the JFK Inn (at least tonight, might change to another hotel ), just ask for Mr. Radier (won't be in till around 11:30 tonight, arriving on Song 1977 from RSW 9:30).

Hope to see some of you, will try and follow this thread,

Jurgen

fly.mcs
2005-07-30, 01:17 PM
Hey Jurgen, it was a pleasure spotting with you today at LGA.
I was hoping Brian and Josh would stop by too.
And sorry about the police, but hey, this is New York City..
Hope you got some great shots!
Talk to you soon.

Eric Daniel Smith
2005-07-30, 07:27 PM
The first thing I saw was "Tall douche coming to town" ... I need to go back to sleep.