PDA

View Full Version : KDCA Trip Planned :: 07-19-05

cancidas
2005-07-19, 11:59 AM
i'll be flying down to DCA tommorow for a day of spotting. it's the second to last day of my vacation so i figured i'd so something. anyone going to be near there? look forward to a report and some shots from me tommorow night, provided i don't get arrested.

tipek
2005-07-19, 01:04 PM
Hey,

If I didn't have hell at work I would go and meet you. Tomorrow we will have the hottest day in the summer. They are predicting over 100F.
Also DC weather has been very bad few last days. Its eather raining hard or its very hazy.
Even before you take out your camera, I would suggest that you call DCA Operations at 703-417-8050. Just give them your name, tell them that you will take pictures, location, and approximate time of your staying at that particular place.
If you do that you won't be kicked out. Ops might send police to check you out, but I guarantee that they will leave you alone (if you call Ops ahead of time).

Have fun.
Rafal

FlyingColors
2005-07-19, 02:32 PM
Hey,

If I didn't have hell at work I would go and meet you. Tomorrow we will have the hottest day in the summer. They are predicting over 100F.
Also DC weather has been very bad few last days. Its eather raining hard or its very hazy.
Even before you take out your camera, I would suggest that you call DCA Operations at 703-417-8050. Just give them your name, tell them that you will take pictures, location, and approximate time of your staying at that particular place.
If you do that you won't be kicked out. Ops might send police to check you out, but I guarantee that they will leave you alone (if you call Ops ahead of time).

Have fun.
Rafal

WOW!
For real?!

Whos up for a group spotting tour!!!

Mike :D

cancidas
2005-07-19, 02:54 PM
see tipek i would call an agency in charge, like i do with the PAPD here at home, if i were going to be on airport property. i plan to spend most of the day outside in gravely point park. i might do some shooting from my company's terminal but even there they can't do anything to me. my company does not have any rules against photography. thanks for the advice though, and the number. now who is that exactly, the airport operations office?

tipek
2005-07-19, 04:17 PM
It doesn't matter if you are on airport property or off the property. MWAA ( Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority) runs both DCA and IAD.
Please call them EVEN from Gravelly Point.
Many people (photographers) had been kicked out from Gravelly Point simply because they didn't call Airport Ops. Park Police, MWAA Police or Virginia State Troopers will be on your case.
We have a special deal with IAD and DCA. Anytime we go there, we make one phone call to let them know where we are.
Because of it, we have their respect and photography at DC airports returned to pre 9-11 days.

MWAA owns the terminal not US Airways, so they can stop you from taking the pictures. And if you are in the terminal taking pictures, you should also call Airport Ops letting them know.
Some people in DC are very paranoid and if they see you taking pictures they will call police. Some police officers are pain in the ass, and they might have adrenaline rush.

Making one phone call will keep DC area airports open for spotting. We would like to keep it that way.

Take care and have fun,
Rafal

cancidas
2005-07-20, 03:31 AM
if i am going to be in a public park then why do i need to call the airport to tell them i'm going to be there? people in new york are paranoid too, but that doesn't give people the right to govern land that is not thier's to begin with. this is the kind of stuff that bugs me. it is very simply an infrigement on my rights as a citizen of this country. most of you knwo know that i'm not just the kind of person to sit down and take crap from anyone. besides that, I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG BY TAKING PICTURES OF AIRPLANES!! anyway, its 0330 on wednesday and i just got hom from work. doubt that i'll be up and functioining in time to make the flight. i'm tired....

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-20, 03:39 AM
Cancidas, while you have a point that I agree with and practice here in NY, when travelling to other areas, keep in mind that your actions might have negative consequences on other DC spotters.

I think it is vital that we respect all the rules, written and unwritten, of the local areas so that we don't mess it up for everyone.

jakbar
2005-07-20, 09:57 AM
Cancidas, while you have a point that I agree with and practice here in NY, when travelling to other areas, keep in mind that your actions might have negative consequences on other DC spotters.

I think it is vital that we respect all the rules, written and unwritten, of the local areas so that we don't mess it up for everyone.

Exactly.

One of the reasons (as I understand it) for NYCA existing is to give out of town spotters an opportunity to talk to us local NYC spotters before coming here so that they dont do something stupid (like stick a camera through a fence at LGA) and screw things up for us locals. We should extend that same courtesy to those same people when we visit their hometown airports for spotting.

Josh

protonv5
2005-07-20, 10:32 AM
I love to spot at EWR. I've never called anyone simply because I've never been shooed away. Should I be calling someone? And if so who?

Thanks

protonv5
2005-07-20, 10:00 PM
I'll use my imagination.

ISP Pilot
2005-07-21, 10:26 AM
Short of renting a car, how do you get from the terminal at DCA to Gravelly Point?

jakbar
2005-07-21, 11:34 AM
Short of renting a car, how do you get from the terminal at DCA to Gravelly Point?

Walk along the Mt. Vernon bike trail, which you get to by exiting the airport and walking west through the parking garage until you hit the highway. The bike trail runs right along that road. I have done that walk to Gravelly Point plenty of times. It's about a 20 minute walk, and it takes you right along the perimeter of the airport. Watch out for the crazy people on bikes and rollerblades who will sooner run you over than slow down.

Just make sure you look at the weather report before making the walk, though, because if it starts raining halfway through your walk, you'll be hard-pressed to find any place to take cover (assuming you're not carrying an umbrella).

Josh

tipek
2005-07-21, 01:19 PM

Its just short walk from the US Airways baggage claim.

Rafal