View Full Version : London to Host 2012 Olympics

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-06, 01:06 PM
I'm angry.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/07/06/singapore.olympics/index.html

moose135
2005-07-06, 01:41 PM
I'm angry.

I know - I'm sure we would have seen some unusual things flying in & out of the area bringing the various teams to the games. Other than that, I didn't really care either way.

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-06, 02:02 PM
I just thought it would have been great to experience that. I think we deserve it. All this anti-Americanism in the world though, I am not surprised.

We tried to use 9/11 as our reason for wanting them here, and I see this as the world saying "We don't care, youhad it coming."

jakbar
2005-07-06, 07:11 PM
We tried to use 9/11 as our reason for wanting them here, and I see this as the world saying "We don't care, youhad it coming."

Aint that the truth...

I'm really not too upset about this because I am sure NYC will get it sometime in the not-too-distant future. I just hope I'm still living here at the time so I can pull a "Tom Turner" and sleep in my car at JFK for a week in order to catch all the interesting visitors. :)

Josh

cancidas
2005-07-06, 08:16 PM
in all honesty i am glad that the olympics arent coming here. since i work for FDNY also i can tell you that the stress an event like this puts on a city is not fun to experience. just being at the RNC last year was enough for me. besides, we have enough tourists clogging the subways around here already...

Matt Molnar
2005-07-07, 01:38 AM
I never wanted the Olympics, but I'm kinda pissed that we lost now that it's official. It would have been a good experience for the city, but I think a Super Bowl would be just as much fun with a lot less hassle. Since there apparently will never be a football stadium built in NYC, we'll never see that either.

Maybe all these smiley gladhands who were working on the Olympic bid can try to get some other giant sporting event to NY, like the soccer or hockey World Cup, or an F1 race, or the MLB All-Star Game, or even the Winter Olympics. I remember hearing Lake Placid being a contender for an upcoming Winter Olympics, why not have a few events down here...it's not too terribly far.

PhilDernerJr
2005-07-07, 01:51 AM
Wow, I'd love to see an F1 race through the streets of Manhattan.

T-Bird76
2005-07-08, 06:16 PM
Hey just be happy the French didn't get the 2012 games!!!! Congrats London!!