PDA

View Full Version : Stranded on the Dock

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-05, 03:09 AM
I haven't gone out much lately, but it's a weekend and the weather was nice, and I decided to go out for a very short while. In fact, I almost got stuck on "The Dock" today because of the tide.

The tide chart I looked at was apparently wrong. I thought the tide had just reached high tide and that I have about 4 hours before I reached the "oh ****" point, as the tides are crucial to getting around that area.

Well, it was wrong, and luckily I always use a rock as a reference point to see the tide's progress and saw that I as about to get stuck. So I managed to barely make it to the street in time before the tide swallowed up the dry land that I use to get back home.

When I lay down on the dock, the planes come over the trees and photos can't describe how cool or close you are to the insanity. Here's a 767 coming in. Not good for Anet, maybe not even for JP, but it reminds me of good times on the dock, so it is good enough for my desktop :)

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/DL_767_LGA31Arr1_060705_1024.jpg

And my favorite shot from the day:

http://nycaviation.com/pichost/NW_A319_LGA31Arr1_060705.jpg

:)

Fly1346
2005-06-05, 09:46 AM
Thats AMAZING!!! How low are these planes?

cancidas
2005-06-05, 11:04 AM
damn, that would have sucked dude. how long would it have taken for the tide to go back down? would you have gone wading in the water to get home?

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-05, 01:04 PM
The tide switch would have taken about 5 hours before it was low enough again for me to get outta there.

What I would have done really depends on what exact point I got stuck at. Some parts would require that I call the Coast Guard because I'd be in serious danger, other parts might require that I get a little wet or trespass through some property to get out.

Yesterday I did get a little wet, and I had to trespass through property to get out because the original way I came in did get swallowed up by the tide. Not that bad though.

The planes are about 150 off the surface, probably 100 feet above me.

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-05, 01:31 PM
Guys, you think that NW A319 shot is Anet-worthy?

Matt Molnar
2005-06-05, 02:25 PM
I think so. Nice detail, you can even see the sky through the leading edge flaps.

Which runway are they heading to over the dock? 31?

Getting stuck somewhere because of a tide coming in is scary stuff. I've had a couple of close calls...once on a rock jetty at Jones Beach which is probably the closest I've ever come to getting dead, and last summer in Bermuda which wasn't life threatening, but my lady friend and I were nearly trapped on a small section of remote beach.

PhilDernerJr
2005-06-05, 03:14 PM
Yes, rwy 31.

The dock itself is fine, safe from the tides. Other parts of the shore get completley swallowed up. It's just water, but my biggest concern was my camera.

IslipWN
2005-06-05, 04:18 PM
that shot is definitely A.net worthy!!!!!

Great pics!!

-Joe

Fly1346
2005-06-05, 05:26 PM
Its a great shot, I would definately post that up. Always nice to see a view from down under!